What's new

Anyone know a good strategy for scoring a Wii? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Well at least you guys don't have to worry about the Playstation 3 crisis in Europe. Sony has announced that once stocks are exhausted, no more 60GB models will be released to Europe, and we'll have to make do with the 40GB version. As only the 60GB is backwards compatible with Playstation 2 games, you can imagine the delight this has caused. I didn't find out until today. My son's Playstation 2 is just about exhausted (we bought it on the day the Playstation 2 was launched and it has been played practically every day since) and so to avoid a non-playable games problem when it finally goes, I spent an indecent amount of time today going round stores, checking on the Net, etc. Everywhere sold out or insane prices are being asked (already 60GB models are going for $1000 or more on UK ebay). In the end I had an indecent stroke of luck. As a last shot, I tried the online site of one of the UK's biggest retailers called Argos (I don't think you guys have an exact equivalent, but if you think of something as omnipresent as WalMart, you've got a good idea). Chances of them having 60GB models left utterly impossible, but I was now really clutching at straws. Unbelievably, they had some left, and, what is more, at reduced price and my PS3 60GB gets guaranteed delivery on Monday.

As entirely coincidentally I just bought an HD DVD player on Saturday, I've now managed also to get both types of high definition format players in a week. Not quite what I intended (and I'm not sure how pleased my bank manager is going to be) but what the heck.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Zero, Zilch, Nada. I had planned on returning to the same Toys R Us the following Sunday morning at 0300, but I called Saturday and learned they were to get no Wii's for Sunday. After calling a few other places and receiving the same response, I gave up and slept in Sunday.

This coming Sunday I have to work.

I'm about to throw in the towel. I'm hoping I can stroll into a store in January or Feburary and pick one off the shelf with no hassle.

I understand the appeal of creating a buzz and all, but the economics of manufacturing a severe shortage of a highly sought-after product is still beyond my comprehension.

Jon

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If you weren't able to find a 60GB PS3, then you could've bought a new PS2. They're still readily available on the market.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have read that Circuit City, Best Buy and Target are all going to be offering Wiis for sale this coming Sunday. Target and Circuit City open at 8 a.m. (I think Best Buy is opening up at 10 a.m. since Christmas is just around the corner).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
itrackr.com is another tracking website.

Why not grab one off of Craigslist? I see used ones posted all the time (yes, for less than MSRP).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I called my local Best Buy, and according to the automated store hours information, they open at 8 a.m. on Sunday.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Not from what I've seen; all are significantly over MSRP.

Thanks, though, for the iTrackr info.

Jon

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Don't listen to the people telling you this is happening, the whole idea is stupid. Nintendo has sold 17 million Wii's in a year. Thats 10 million more total units manufactured than PS3 and 2 million more than the Xbox 360 (which has been out for twice as long). They're making Wii's as fast as they can and selling them faster, there's no conspiracy.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Whatever. Are they really still marketing the PS2? I bought one of the first versions and I wonder what the later versions are going for now.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A very sensible suggestion, but I should have added in my original post that it's not quite the same in the UK, and it looks like they're being phased out over here. I didn't want to get trapped with a whole pile of game that my son loves and nothing to play them on unless we paid through the nose for a new console on ebay.
The UK is at times at variance with the USA when it comes to electrical goods. E.g. HD DVD is outselling Blu-Ray over here (yes, even with the PS3), and Tivo never took off over here (largely because we have an arguably superior product called the Sky box). Brit visitors to the USA come back with tales of how you guys still boil kettles on the stove (something our grandparents used to do - everyone these days uses an electric kettle) and have top-loading washing machines (last seen in the UK in the 1960s). Heck, you guys have only recently got Dyson cleaners. ;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Oh. Well, I posted that after I confirmed it was in stock at Amazon UK. :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
This happened awhile ago in the US. We have an 80GB model that does software PS2 emulation and a 40GB model that does neither. There are murmurs that the 80GB model is being changed (removing the compatibility feature) although nothing has been confirmed yet.

Devin U

Second Unit
I got my from my brother in law. Hes in the millitary and his base exchange had a couple. He picked it up for me and I sent him the money.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Thanks, Garrett. It might be time to switch out my old system

Andrew, hopefully I'm going to get an electric kettle for Christmas. Unfortunately, they aren't as plentiful or cheap as they are in the UK.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking of you guys earlier today doing some shopping in our local out of town supermarket. One aisle full of electric kettles on one side and front loading washing machines on the other. In both cases, pretty cheap by US standards. But before you get too envious, we still pay through the nose for the essential electrical goods like home theater equipment. ;)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Believe it or not, I just now snagged one from etoys.com using wiitracker.

It's a bundle that includes four games (three of which look to be dogs).

Supposed to arrive by Xmas.

There is no mention of the many-sports disc that seems to come with all consoles; does it not come with every Wii?

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks