What's new

Anyone interested in XENOSAGA here? (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
To all:
Some of the ingame FMVs and CG is just simply JAWDROPPING.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Believe you me that you need to set aside some time to play this, since it is very FMV heavy in the beginning. Still waiting for my copy (hopefully, I will receive it before the weekend is up.) This game makes and shows that RPGs can be worthwhile on a console.
Those who have ps2s, may you grok in the bliss that is this game.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Did anyone get this yet?

I got my copy FEDEXed with the artbook and it is pretty sweet. I also must admit that the dubbing is done pretty well - which is AWESOME for a game. A complex turnbased system, tough bosses, and of course, those wonderful cutscenes with KOS-MOS make this a verry enjoyable experience. Just leveling up my characters in the first training dungeon/area.

Post your thoughts and opinions here...

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well I'm about 4 hours in, the training set of enemies are wimps, wait till you see some real genois... without pumping up your chars a bit the battles vary from easy to hard.
The lack of lip-synch is annoying at times, but I'm use it it :) I wish the animations for battle ether attacks weren't quite so long, I speed KOS-MOS and the Chief's attacks so I can do them every turn, but sometimes I feel like just beating them down with regular attacks because it might be faster (then I realize how bad these baddies hurt, so I use the uber attacks :))
I like how you can skip through cut scenes, should help for playing the game again. I don't doubt the 80 hours of play time here.. if you try and do as much as you can / battle as much as you can in each area.
Lastly I've only met 1/2 the cast (quit when I'm at the part with the other 1/2), but these characters sure are intriguing, I can't wait to see Chaos in battle.
I'm sure this game will kill all my free time for a while. Also there will likely be lots of spoilers... since this is a first impressions thread should we just keep it spoiler free? I'm sure once a few of us have beaten this game we'll have plenty to talk about (if it's anything like Xenogears)
Brian

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Heh...
So what's everyone's verdict on KOS-MOS?
Droolworthy she is, is she not? :D
Having played some of the import, I decided to uberize my party a bit in the first simulation/dungeon. So at 2:10 or so, I have just had my first "AGWS" battle in the Encephalon simulation, and drones have been switched to G-type (Gnosis type) enemies. KOS-MOS and Shion Uzuki are at level 5 or 6. Each have their Hi-Speed deathblows. Fun involved battle system.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
hehe Woo, I lvled in there till 4.. the battles pay off WAY better when it's not a simulation.
KOS-MOS is an andriod pure and simple, play the game some more... you may droll over her appearance, but not over her attitude. :)
I may be amoung the few, but I don't find her that droolworthy.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy FEDEXed with the artbook and it is pretty sweet
. What is the artbook like? I was intrigued by the offer, but didn't know it it would be a real book, or one of those flimsy "strategy guides" that are included with games sometimes.

-Dave

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Well, it has some large airbrushed pictures of the many characters in the game with some conceptual designs for the Gnosis. Not that big - about the size of a strategy guide, but not as thick. Still pretty nice though. Thing is this was available only if you preordered.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Does anyone who preordered want to sell/trade their art book/lithograph? I couldn't get them here.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Sorry - but I am not parting with my copy.. :)
But I heard on www.gamefaqs.com - a place that is OBVIOUSLY full of rumors and whatnot that some stores are selling them. I doubt it though....
Ask around, be patient.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Great game so far. I was scared by the length of the cutscense at first, but they are so well done I'm very happy. I love anime, so its like getting a first season for free with this game. The voice acting is well done as well. If I had to read all the text spoken so far (like in Xenogears) I wouldn't be as happy. 20 hours of great cinema is much better then 20 hours of bland random battles (listening Squaresoft?)

There looks to be quite a bit of depth to the game as well, but it plays out fairly easily so far. I'm about four hours in, battled off the first ship and sat through a bit of cinema (saved twice during it). I'm looking forward to playing the game a lot more.

KOS-MOS is great, and I love her attitude. Defintely contrasts Shion so far.

Anyway, early impressions have Xenosaga my early game of the year.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I do wish they would have made the mechs more usefull. One boss who I owned hardcore I looked up in the Strategy guide later and it said the way to beat him was to use Mechs...
Then again I'm a lvling whore so perhaps mechs are needed when you don't bother to fight any more then you absolutly have to, but then you're left with out much $$ to spend (I'm uber rich though due to my lvling)
BTW Anyone checked out the Card Game? I'm going to blow so much $$ by the end of this game trying to collect all the cards (M:TG anyone? ;))
Anyone out there a big Ziggy fan? I've hardly used him or MOMO since I got them, then just to show some one last night I pulled him out... ZOINKS he has by far the most HP. It's sad in a way but Shion is my most powerful character, she can outdamage KOS-MOS :D

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
My one disappointment so far, which may change, is the game is somewhat easy. I got off the first ship dispatching the Gnosis without using any Ethers. In fact, I just missed the fact that I had them. I burnt through a bunch of health kits, but only after the fights. By using block and timing your attacks, most enemies go down.

I've read complaints about the mechs too. I think most stem from Xenogear fans, who really liked all the Mech battles. So far, the characters and the attacks are so well done, I won't mind not using the mechs a lot. They are useful. Its still early for me though.

Is the card game fun? Any depth to it? How's the Mech mini-game? I've read that's very good.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've not looked into the Mech mini-game... the card game seems very well thought out... heck there's PAGES devoted to it in the strategy guide.. it's deeper and more complicated then the card game in FF8 (which I loved)
The first ship with Gnoisis is EASY... but wait till you get to the Cathedral Ship... it gets hard FAST!
It's not bad if you're a lvling physco like me, and you set up skills and eqipment to counter the enemies.. but had no fear, don't spend forever lvling up and the battles get HARD! :)
I'll be curious what you think after your first battle with the Unicorns, or the mini bosses that show up....

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hmm... A response!! W00T!!

Brian: What are your levels anyway??

What were Ziggy's levels at the abandoned Asteroid colony Pleroma?

Mine were 14 for Ziggy and 10 for MOMO... In the import, I was at 18 for Ziggy and 12 for MOMO. Starting a new file just to see how much I can raise the STATS with tech points while on the WOGLINDE. Great battle system, lots of customizability.

The DOMO battle can be tough if it lands on the wrong event slot. With Critical UP slot, it was doing 320 -75 per tremor. I died once in the IMPORT but lucked out when it hit the "Blank" no effect slot as the tremor slot. Actually the guides strategy is solid...

Anyhow, it seems harder than FFX at least.

I find this game is great in its presentation. Loving it!

Anyone else also find the details in this game to be well thought out - just look at the through UMN database - it has an entry on CURRY, for crying out loud!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Shion and Chaos are 23 atm
Jr and KOSMOS are 22
I think Ziggy is 21 or so and MOMO is 20.

I've been raising points with Tech points like mad... though I do have Shions Ranged Tech Attack at HI max speed and lvl 3 dmg.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Great, I want it to be a challenge. I'll let you know when I get there, hopefully soon :).

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well now Shion and chaos are lvl 29 :)
KOS-MOS is 28 and Jr, Ziggy, and MOMO are about 27-28 or so..
And as for boss challenges go... wait till you fight Tiamat ;)

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I had so much trouble with Marguilis while escaping Pleoroma (sp?). I literally fought him for over an hour strait without dying, but without winning either. I was hurting for Med Kit S's after that for a while. The Boss battles can be terrible if you don't have a handle on key strategies. Like at that point I wasn't well aquianted with boosting yet. And I wasn't using guard like I should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks