What's new

Anyone here work for Verizon? Re:FIOS (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just curious if anyone has heard any updates on the activation of Verizons FIOS service in NJ.

We just signed up for their DSL package to host our web server untill FIOS gets here, and the upload connection s peed is not what I hoped it would be compared to cable, but it's going to have to do for now.

If anyone has any updates on FIOS, particularly in Wyckoff NJ, post 'em here :)

Thanks
neil

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Hosting a webserver on your own machine using Verizon DSL (and FIOS) is against the terms & conditions by the way ;) I believe with the FIOS service, the standard http port is blocked too.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
For the Home Service, but we signed up for the Buisness Service wich I've been told is that servers are allowed...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. It's still a daft way to host a webserver - there are so many cheap & quality servers out there with far more bandwidth than a DSL upload service can offer.

For FIOS, broadbandreports.com has a great forum with updates on locations around the country & input from Verizon techs.

My neighbourhood is currently being ripped by Verizon, can't wait :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Still working on running that webhosting business?

Fiber is laid here in Grapevine, now if they'd just turn on the service for me :).

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Damn Verizon was supposed to contact me as soon as it was ready to go here. Just went to the website and I'm available for activation (last time I checked was about 3 weeks ago and it was still a no-go). Gonna place the order today!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Still working on running that webhosting business? >>>

Yep, still going, just like the energizer bunny :). No one on the D SL forums report seemed to have any new news, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here to see if anyone had some new insider info :).

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just placed my order and have an install date of 3/16. Gonna call tomorrow and see if they've had any earlier time slots from cancellations etc... that I could possibly get.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

Here are mine:

Bandwidth Down 15065 Kbits/sec
Bandwidth Up 1863 Kbits/sec
Average Ping 4 ms
Ping Loss 0%

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Of course, that doesn't mean Verizon actively polices users for active servers unless you do something to make them notice.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Yep, I think they are happy just by blocking :80. I didn't have any mention of that on the FIOS agreement so it looks like their DSL agreement is different.

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
On my buddies dsl account they are blocking port 80 too! However they do allow for 21 for ftp and if you get a domain name with some domain forwarding you might be able to send all requests from www.domainname.com to ftp://your.ip.add.ress/index.htm it might work. But you can go through less hassle paying a service to host your site. But if it is for personal use, yes, I think it can be done.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
dyndns.org also provides service where you can point the address to a different port. An even without, you can always give the address as

http://my.ip.address:customport

You will need to configure your http server to use that customport and forward it from your firewall to the server. Very easy to do.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just an update. Wyckoff NJ is now FIOS Active :). My install date is next Wensday. Finally ditching Optimum Online. We'd be ditching AOL too, but we don't get down the shore often enough to warrent high speed cable services...

Check your number, you may qualify now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks