What's new

Anyone here use Mac OS X? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I just installed this on my G4 tower, and it's pretty nice. I'm an experienced Mac user, but getting used to this new OS is going to be interesting to say the least.
I'd love to hear any experiences people have had with this new OS, thanks.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Been shopping for a new Mac, starting to settle into buying the iBook DVD or the PowerMac G4 733(its a matter of do I want desktop or laptop :) )
Well went to a friend of mines last night and played on his older G4 400 with OS X 10.1 Build G24(i think) that he got off of ADC, damn so much faster than OS X 10.0.4, it just made it even harder to wait until Xmas when I get my new Mac.
I like the fact that the OS is beautiful yet it allows you to get into its Unix underbelly, via the Terminal. Plus its the "Simplicity of Macintosh, the Power of Unix".

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'm using it and lovin' it.
After spending a good deal of the past week and a half upgrading/repairing/and now waiting for the replacement MB for my HTPC, it's nice to be on my Mac.
I've never, ever had the plastic(what plastic) holding the CPU fan(what fan) on the motherboard break. Yup, my PC motherboard had the plastic break apart from the CPU block and the fan/heatsink went kerplunk off the video card while in use. It fried the MB. I finally got the old motherboard up and running after 3 trips to the "safe mode."
Mac OS X just seems snappier than Win 2k on my machine, though the Dual 500 vs. Duron 750 probably isn't a fair comparison. I can't wait for the 10.1 upgrade as it will likely fly. I can't crash OS X, yet one click on the zoom button automatically will crash the ATI DVD Player and Win 2k everytime. iCab and Omni Web are my browsers of choice in OSX. Make sure to get the 9.2.1 update as it fixes some drag-drop problems with Netscape in classic.
The good thing is that my 17in Apple LCD Display works with both the PC and Mac so I can just unplug the connector and plug it into the ADC-DVI Converter. The built-in USB hub on the montior means I can share trackball and keyboard as well.
iBook vs the 733 is a tough one. It's always hard to pass on the portability, but some of us don't really need that. I like the upgradability of the desktop and thats why I made my decision. On the other hand, my sister bought a PBG3 250 a few years ago and still uses it as her everyday machine.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
One small question to the iBook owners out there, as you're on this thread:
I've been a mess of indecision about getting one, as while I've never been a big fan of MacOS due to bad experiences of it at college OSX looks enough like XWindows for me to cope with (I use Solaris, OSF and Linux at work). Mainly though, its the lovely looking hardware in the iBook that is tempting me. So, getting to the point, when OSX first launched much was made by the anti-Apple crowd about its lack of DVD playing software. What is the situation now? If I were to go buy an iBook, how would it do as a portable DVD player? Can I do multi-region? Only about a third of my films are UK discs, so being able to change is important. Also, I see the current iBooks have a TV-out - does that work for doing fullscreen DVD playback?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Iain,
For DVD playback under OSX you will have to wait until Mac OS X 10.1, but you won't be waiting long as Steve Jobs is scheduled to announce a launch of OS X 10.1 next week! Now about out putting to a TV, I do not know the answer to that, you might want to check out the Portable Mac section of the http://www.macworld.com

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I am using OS X 10.0.4 on my 266 iMac (no 'classic' installed), so I'll throw in my thoughts.
CONS:
It's slow (but it gets faster with each update). The Image Capture application doesn't support my digital camera and Photoshop is not X native so I'm left with using my other machine to trasfer photos. There is no great web-browser: Omni is stunning - but crashes, IE is stable - but bulky and dull. My CD-RW isn't supported in iTunes.
PROS:
After a bit of thought, my favorite part about OS X is that it's fun to use. It's beautiful, welcoming, simple, and powerful. Yes, there are shortcomings at the moment, but what's great about that is that they'll get fixed. 10.0 was slow, but it's getting faster. Most software wasn't native, but every month brings another essential application on board. DVD playback will be here this month, MS Office will be here by the end of the year, for me all I'm really missing is Photoshop (which, sadly, doesn't have a release date).
My other Mac is an iBook DVD, and I'm running OS 9.2 on it simply to cover my bases. If I can't do something in X on my iMac, I just move to the other side of my desk and use the iBook. So basically, I use the iMac for my internet surfing / email / web-site maintainance, and finances (the just released Quicken 2002 is so hot). I use the iBook for picture transfer / video editing, school-work, CD burning, and for watching DVDs on the plane! I can't imagine there being a superior laptop available (oh, don't make me say it... ok, i'll say it... with the exception of the TiBook... happy now?).
The site linked below of my HT was made with iTools, yet another very cool - and very free - application you get with your Mac.
Pieter
------------------
See my BoomRoom here. New pics as of Sep 01.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Off Topic:
Your #1 album is Depeche Mode's Violator..........nice choice. Personally prefer the pre-Violator stuff, but still nice to see someone else out there loving the dM.
BTW all,
Saw a PBG4 yesterday while looking at wedding chapels, still want one bad!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks