What's new

Anyone here speak German? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if someone who speaks German, and of course English too, can help me out. I found an auction on Ebay from a German seller who will ship worldwide but his english isn' very good and I need to ask about 5 or so questions. Is there any chance I could email someone my questions and you can give me the translation? I don't require you to translate his replies, I can use Alta Vista Translations for that.

I know this asking a lot but it probably won't take anymore than 5 minutes or so.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Nein! er...I mean very little. Just post your questions and I'm sure between the several dozen people that troll the afterhours lounge all day, we can cobble together a working translation.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nur ein bischen. Ich bin seit sechs jahre nichts ins unterricht gehen.

(Only a bit. It's been 6 years since I went to [German]classes.)

What Garrett said. I'm sure there fluent German speakers on the board, just post away and give it a little time for responses to come in.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your responses. I was going to post them in an email, if someone responded but what the heck, I guess I can ask my questions here. They might seem silly or make no sense to people viewing this thread and to those making the translations, but here goes...

Does the watch have many scratches on the case or the crystal.

Does the watch have the battery screw on the bottom?

Have you removed it?

If so, was there a battery inside and was there any battery leakage?

(If I win the auction, I will need to mention this:)

How much is it to ship the watch via German Post Express Mail?

Please wrap the watch up in a tissue or paper towel and
use a good sturdy box with some sort of packing materials.

That should do it, thanks!

Jeff

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have collegues in Germany, I can send the questions on to them and have them translate if you like.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I asked, waiting for a response.
Dunno how busy he is today and it's a bit of typing, but he owes me a favor :D

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The only thing I know how to say in German is Spider...

I assume that wouldnt be very helpful in this situation...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
here go dude.

Hat die Uhr irgendwelche Kratzer auf dem Glas oder dem Unterteil?

Hat die Uhr die Batterie Schraube auf der Unterseite?

Have you removed it?
Haben Sie die Uhr schon mal offen gehabt? -> Did you have had the watch open before?

Wenn Sie sie schon mal offen hatten, war eine Batterie drinnen, und war die Batterie evtl ausgelaufen?

(If I win the auction, I will need to mention this

Wieviel wuerde es kosten, die Uhr per Post Express zu schicken?

Bitte packen Sie die Uhr gut ein, damit sie ohne Schaden bei mir eintrifft. (ggf bitte einen
widerstandsfaehigen Kasten oder Karton verwenden und die Uhr gut polstern)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Let me give it a try.

"Sind auf dem Kristall oder dem Kästchen der Uhr viele Kratzer?"

"Hat die Uhr die Batterieschraube auf der Unterseite?"

Have you removed it?
"Haben Sie sie entfernt?"

"Sollte das der Fall sein, war eine Batterie drin und ist die Batterie vielleicht ausgelaufen?"

(If I win the auction, I will need to mention this

"Wieviel kostet das Versenden der Uhr über den Deutsche Post Express Mail Service?"

"Bitte verpacken Sie die Uhr in ein Taschen- oder Küchenrollentuch und benutzen Sie einen robusten, mit Verpackungsmaterial aufgefüllten Karton."

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
take your pick of the answers, mix and match the two styles. The guy will think you're insane :D

Where are you from, Dominik?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Those aren't mine by any means, my German is terrible. I had a friend in Frankfurt do them :)

In fact, my German is SO bad I found that while in Germany it was easier to communicate in English. They could understand me easier :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I see, very cool.
I don't think we have many German members. Electronics were extremely expensive when I was over there, my friend orders things in the US and has them shipped to me, then I ship them to him, it costs him about half as much, especially with the exchange rate as it is.
I can't imagine how much it would cost to be in the hobby there.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Well, I am obviously too late to help translating (but when further need arises, feel free to contact me). But Philip, I do not think electronics are much more expensive here in general, it rather depends on the brand. My Rotel RSP 1066 cost 1450 Euro, which at the time was around 1350 Dollar. Now of course, the Dollar is much weaker, so things cost more here and less in the US.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well, for example, a sony clie organizer that sells for 750-800 euro in Germany sells in the US for 500 USD.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Yes, it depends on the brand. Most companies have a fairly balanced price structure but of course there is always someone like Apple, where it can cost up to 500$ more than buying it in the US.

Philip, the german HT community is bigger than the low member count here might suggest. There are some pretty good german language sites like area-dvd.de (>17,000 users) or dvdboard.de (>50,000 users) that migt give you further insight.
I am a longtime HTF member though, and prefer the R1 market and the up to date information and in depth discussions this forum provides. :)

Jean Luc

Agent
Jeff,
what watch are you thinking of getting, if it's not too much asking?
If there any scratches on the watch, I wouldn't even consider it BTW. If it's a top end model, then the crystal used is usually sapphire crystal, second hardest after diamond, and if there is a scratch on it, the guy would have had to bang it pretty damn hard.
I am going to guess either a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling.
JL

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Wow, thanks everyone! This is great. And there is still time since there's 3 days left on the auction.

Jean Luc,

I buy watches from Ebay almost everyday. Sometimes I fix them up and resell them but usually I add them to my collection. I'm not into high end watches like the ones you listed. But I don't want to leave the link because it's a very rare watch that I've been trying to get for over a year. :) If it's scratched it's not a big deal.

Thanks again, Philip & Dominik!

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks