What's new

Anyone here into Herpetology (Reptiles and Amphibians)? (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
At one time I kept a pretty nice collection of Amphibians and even did a little breeding but currently all I have is two subjects.
One is a male Leopard Gecko, about 8 years old raised from a hatchling.
My other critter is a male sub-adult albino horned frog about 8 months old. I got him when he was a little bit smaller than a quarter. He is actually my third horned frog. I raised a couple others from about quarter sized all the way up to small saucer size. These two ended up living about 6-7 years each.
Neither of my herps are exotic by any means, but both are ferocious eaters and in wonderful health.
I am seriously thinking about starting a colony of poison dart frogs, but I don't know if I have the time needed to make the frogs thrive.
Alot of people shy away from such creatures (especially snakes) but they have personalities and can be very good pets (not in the cat or dog way) and provide alot of enjoyment.
Anyone else here have a similar interest or any questoins about getting into reptile and amphibian husbandry? It can be a very rewarding experience.
J

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I had an iguana for quite a while.He fell off his perch and I guess he broke his back.I have often thought about getting another one,I have also considered a turtle.Currently I have fish and I expect to continue having fish for years to come.
My fish(mainly the oscars) are alot of fun.One will let me hand feed it,and somtimes pet it between the eyes.I used the have dogs but I have found fish to be much more of an interesting pet.
------------------
My dvd collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What's with the herp/inverts threads? Did I mention I like tarantulas... I'm sure the regulars here know that already.
I've always toyed with the idea of getting a Simolean (sp?) milk snake but I've got no room for anything. I've got two fish tanks (a 10g and a 20g high) and a 10 gal containing a bunch of tarantulas so I've got no room...
I like those poison dart frogs, I swear they look like plastic but that would be cool, especially the landscaping part.. that's real fun to create mini biotopes and watch the guys live. Which is why fishkeeping is fun too..
Jay

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I agree Jay. Setting up a natural environment is a really fun part of raising inverts/herps. My gecko is kept in a tank with bark substrate, basking logs, and halfed cork bark. Very functional and he has thrived in such a setup.
Probably the most fun I have had was setting up a cage for a couple of day geckos. In a terrerium with a wide variety of plants was very interesting to see the bright colors these guys can produce.
Horned frogs on the other hand are a thankless bunch. Anytime I try to give them any p;lants of any kind they immediately proceed to crush or up root the plants. All they get now is a peat mixture with maybe a largish rock or two. But I guess when you get large enough to eat a mouse, plants just get in your way.
J

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im very interested reading about poisonous snakes and stuff... but put me in a field with a sign that says there are rattlesnakes in the area i get scared out of my wits...
Does anybody have any cool websites about poisonous replties/snakes???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks