What's new

Anyone here have a Toshiba 27AF53 ? (1 Viewer)

Rudolph V

Grip
I'm interested in getting this 27" direct-view TV from Toshiba. I've heard good things about it and Consumer Reports ranks it #1.

I was wondering if anyone reading this forum owns this relatively new model by Toshiba and has anything good/bad/neutral to comment about it.

Thanks

Davis

Agent
Best Buy just dropped the price on these to $399 today. Also, they have a 10% off coupon valid from Dec 5-8 making this set $360 in two days.

Looks like it is time for a new bedroom TV. I'm also interested in any opinions on this set or comparables.

Rudolph V

Grip
Davis,

I can only find the 27AF43 and not the 27AF53 on BestBuy's website. Were did you see the posted $399 price for the 27AF53?

Also, where can I find the 10% discount coupon?

Thanks
R.

Davis

Agent
My mistake, the $399 is for the 27AF43. My wife found the coupon, and I'll ask here where. It was either the newspaper or it came in the mail. I'm sure that BB can tell you how to get one.

Davis

Agent
The coupon came in the mail. I am note sure who they mailed to, or how to get one.

Looking at Toshiba's site, the two models look very similar. The weight and dimensions are the same. The differences I could find are:

3 line dig. comb filter vs 3D Y/C dig comb filter
Model 53 has movie and sports mode
Model 53 has color temperature control

Have you, or anyone else, had the chance to compare the picture quality? It appears that the majority of the upgrades that go into the cinema series are for the HD units and don't appy to this model. In addition to the lower price, there is probably more price competition on the model 43.

The other model in this price range at BB, with similar features, is the Sony KV27FS100. I'd appreciate any feedback on how PQ for the Sony compares to the Toshiba. The demo at BB is useless due to their poor signal quality.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
That Sony has 4 picture modes, meaning it can store 4 sets of adjustments for different needs as far as room lighting and such. It also has adjustable temp control, adjustable SVM, and a 16/9 mode which squeezes the 480 scanlines into a 16/9 area on the screen for anamorphic dvd greatly improving the picture quality. You can tell your dvd player you have a 16/9 set and lose the jaggies your now seeing due to anamorphic downconversion as well as getting s smoother picture.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For what it's worth people who have been asking me what 27" analog set should I get? I have been telling them to check the Toshiba 27AF43 or 27AF53 or the JVC AV-27F704, AV-27FA44 or the AV-27FA54 so you might also want to throw JVC into the mix. Looking at the specs. the biggest differences between the Toshiba 43 & the JVC's is that on the JVC's you can turn the SVM ON/OFF on the Toshiba it's fixed but the Toshiba's have a VIDEO OUTPUT & the JVC's don't. Now for the confusing part, Someone on this fourm said that the 43 does have Color Temp. Control & when I downloaded the JVC 24" AV-24F704 owners manual it shows a VIDEO OUTPUT ON IT? I wasn't able to download any of the 27" JVC's owners manuals for some reason? Right now a store in my area is selling the JVC AV-27FA44 for $277.00 so that's what I have been telling people to run & get. For me it would be either of these before I bought the more expensive Sony that only comes with a 90 day Labor Warranty compared to Toshiba's & JVC's 1 Year Labor Warranty.

Rudolph V

Grip
Bill Will,

Which store is selling the JVC 27FA44 for that good price? Also... what area do you live in?

Thanks for the info.

R.

Rudolph V

Grip
Bill Will,

I went down to a local (Portland, OR) electronics store (Video only) to check out the JVC AV-27FA44. They had it right next to a Toshiba 27AF53. You're right... their is almost no difference between the picture quality of these two models. The Toshiba is going for $420 and the JVC for $350.

Do you know if the JVC 27FA44 has a 16:9 compression mode for anamorphic DVD's? I couldn't find a setting for it in the JVC's on screen menu.

Thanks for the pointer... you probably saved me some money.

Rudolph

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes all the JVC 27 inch models have the 16:9 DVD Mode & I'm pretty sure it has a button right on the remote control to turn it on & off but I forget what JVC calls it. I also think it has a button on the remote to select the color temp. settings. Check JVC's website for more info on it which is www.jvc.com You can also try to dowload the owners manual for it but I could'nt get it to download but that just might be me or my computer. Myself I also like the looks of the 44 better with the new ARC Shape compared to the Toshiba. By any chance does it have a "VIDEO OUTPUT" on it?
FROM JVC's WEBSITE:
All NEW Contemporary Cabinet Design
16:9 Anamorphic DVD Mode
TheaterPro 6500K Color Temperature
Velocity Scan Modulation with ON/OFF
7.5 Watts x 2 Speakers
And More

Rudolph V

Grip
Bill,

Yep... I downloaded the manual from JVC.com and the 27FA44 defintely has 16:9 compression. The button is called "ASPECT". The manual also states that the TV has audio outputs. The model I checked in the store definitely also had audio outputs.

I wonder if Sears will price-match the Bernies add? ;-)

Thanks again.

Rudolph

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes I know it has "AUDIO OUTPUTS" but does it also have a "VIDEO OUTPUT"? If you have the flyer from Bernie's I would try & get Sears to match it but the sale is over now but I would still push Sears to see what kind of a deal they would give you & you could always tell them that Bernie's is going to put them on sale again & if they won't give you a good price you'll wait till Bernie's has them again. From what I understand BrandsMart in Flordia also runs them for under $300 so I would think the under $300 price mark is not out of line.

Rudolph V

Grip
Bill,

According to the manual it DOES NOT have video out. I can send you the PDF file of the manual if you PM me your email address.

Rudolph V

Grip
Bill,

I just saw one of our local 'member' stores, BiMart, has the JVC AV-27F704 for $299. What are the major differences between the 27FA44 and the 27F704 ?

R.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The only differences that I can see between the 44 & 704 is that the 44 adds the new style cabinet, 5 more watts for the Audio Amp (Which I think also includes bigger or better speakers?) and it weights 17 pounds less. You might try fighting with the store that has the 44 if you want that model & see if they will come down in price if they know you will buy the 704 somewhere else for $300 That's too bad that the JVC doesn't have a "Video Output" So I guess the big differences between the Toshiba & JVC is that the Toshiba has a Video Output & a Register for 12 Favorite Channels & the JVC has the SVM ON/OFF Switch.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just noticed that Sam's Club has the 704 for $289.82 listed on their website so if you printed it out maybe Sears will match Sam's & give you 10% of the difference? & I think Sears is asking around $370 for the 704.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Ragozhin, Let us know what you think of the Toshiba when you get it. Also if you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

Davis

Agent
FWIW, I wound up buying the Sony KV27FS100 for $374. It does have some added features over the Toshiba 27AF43.

Without a doubt, the JVC has more features for the money. Personally, I'm biased against JVC televisions and am willing to take the chance with Sony's inferior warranty.

On the subject of the Toshiba 27AF53 vs the 27AF43, the 3D Y/C digital comb filter does give the model 53 a noticably better picture quality. The Sony KV27FS410, which has the upgraded filter, also provides an upgraded picture for a higher price than the model 100 that I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks