What's new

Anyone heard of this tweak??? (1 Viewer)

I've got to wade in on this topic.
First, let me say that this kind of thread is immensely enjoyable- there's very few people on the middle ground, so to speak. You either believe it or you don't.
I quite frankly didn't believe it at all. Then Linda asked me to get another alarm clock. What the heck, says I, I'll get the Rat Shack Parallel Quantum Filter Capacitor that doubles as a clock and give it a try.
I got it home, flipped the AC connector, and plugged it in. Turned on my Mits 55907, Onkyo TX-DS787, Panny RP-91, and waited.
Nothin'.
More nothin'.
Later yet, still more nothin'.
So I forgot about it.
Next day, I turned on our little 9" kitchen TV, and flipped to Channel 6, which has always been crappy (evidently 6 is at the upper end of the "fragile" spectrum). To my incredulity, 6 was gorgeous! Every channel was gorgeous!
Well I'll be damned, says I. The Rat Shack Parallel Quantum Filter Capacitor actually works! Linda, who up until then had been having a lot of fun at my expense, gaped in disbelief.
Later that afternoon, I had to unplug the Rat Shack Parallel Quantum Filter Capacitor to make some other tweaks. Just to check, I dialed up Channel 6 again. Still gorgeous!
Wow, says I, that's some mighty powerful juju, bwana. Now my electricity knows how to behave since I've taught it the mighty lesson of cleanliness with my trusty Rat Shack Parallel Quantum Filter Capacitor.
Visions of dollars danced in my head, thinking, "I'm gonna rent this sucker out to all the tweakers in the neighborhood, but put it in a box so they don't know what it is." (Not only do I speak italic, but I think it, too.)
Then I plugged it back in.
Two days later, Channel 6 went to hell, and has remained in that sad netherworld of crappy reception. So I have to conclude that either the Rat Shack Parallel Quantum Filter Capacitor doesn't work in my situation, or doesn't work at all.
I can only offer empirical evidence.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I have even heard people claim that their computer fan was running more quietly after plugging in the RS clock. I tried that experiment but put a RS DB meter next to the computer to guard against that insidious Placebo Monster. The DB meter was not fooled and let me know that it didn't work!

RicP

Screenwriter
quote: I called my local Radio Shack after reading this and they verified my hypothesis that they do not carry any clocks that come with rechargable batteries or that attempt to charge their internal backup battery.[/quote]That's amazing. The guys who work at my Radio Shack can't even spell rechargeable.
Like I said earlier, believe what you'd like. You're the one that challenged the supposed impossibility of this thing, so if you're so inclined..YOU prove that it's impossible, after all you're the one that's so concerned about the plausibility of it. I couldn't care less either way...I don't feel the need to run through the halls shouting "SCIENCE!" whenever I disagree with something. The people on this board are smart, they can pretty well judge for themselves what works or doesn't work in their system. The thing that the "SCIENCE!" people never seem to answer is..."Who exactly are you attempting to "protect" or "shelter" from the evil tweakers?" :)
Like Mike said...you don't believe and are unwilling to even try (not very scientific...dismissing a hypothesis out of hand without even the slightest bit of a cursory examination) and that's ok, no problem. Why do you feel the need to disparage or "debunk" everything for those who wish to attempt it? Some of the "SCIENCE!" people may be suffering from a Savior complex, except that there appears to be no one here in need of saving?
confused.gif

------------------
Ric Perrott
My Theater ;My DVD's
"RicP's posts are SUPERBLY ERUDITE!" - David Manning, Ridgefield Press

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
quote: Yes, if you claimed to have a cure for cancer some proof would be necessary, because the results could lead to death. [/quote]
No, the cancer will take care of that anyway. The results of my cure could lead to life. All you have to do is buy a tone dialer from Radio Shack. Open it up, desolder the crystal that produces the tones, then solder it in backwards. Program the * key into memory location #1 5 times. Twice a day, hold the tone dialer to your left ear and press the memory 1 button. The tones will destroy the cancer in your body. If it doesn't work, make sure the volume is turned all the way up and the batteries are fresh. If it still doesn't work, you're doing it wrong.
I'm not selling you anything and my cure won't hurt you. I have no proof that it actually works, nor have I done any studies whatsoever, but 5 of my closest friends have tried it. Four have gone into remission and are doing much better and the fifth is doing slightly better. Oh, and there was that guy from Greenland that hooked my device up to the PA system in the cancer ward at his local hospital and completely cured 20 people over the course of just a month. No, I don't know his name or the name of the hospital, but it worked for them.
You say you don't believe me? But why not? It worked for all of these people. It can work for you, too.
quote: There is nothing "outrageous" being claimed.
outrageous adj.,: extremely offensive, insulting, or shameful: shocking[/quote]
Most words take multiple definitions:
out·ra·geous (out-rajes)
4a. Extremely unusual or unconventional; extraordinary
4b. Being beyond all reason; extravagant or immoderate
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=outrageous
I think this clock and my cure for cancer are both outrageous as defined above.
quote: Just because you may require more "proof" does not by any means mandate that they should provide the proof. [/quote]
Anyone making outrageous claims should be able to provide proof. Otherwise, as Mike said, they will likely be dismissed as crackpots. My ancestors didn't tell all the world about their concept of a flying machine: They went out and built it and flew it in front of many as proof. Henry Ford didn't talk about some amazing device that would enable everyone to have a car. He went out and built the assembly line to prove it. Nobody injected pennicillin into themselves based on heresay, they did it based on labratory tests - in other words, proof. Someone with one of these amazing clocks should use the appropriate test equipment to analyze exactly what is going on here and, when they have proof, come out with what they've discovered. I'm sure they'll make millions.
At the very least, I'd be happy if someone answered my question about the rechargeable (

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
quote: Why do you feel the need to disparage or "debunk" everything for those who wish to attempt it? [/quote]
Ric: I'm not trying to debunk it. I'm merely seeking more information to find out if it really works. Quite frankly, there are holes in the theory (such as recharging circuits in a clock) and I'm hoping someone who is pushing the idea can patch them up for me.
quote: The guys who work at my Radio Shack can't even spell rechargeable.[/quote]
Apparently, neither can I.
blush.gif

------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

RicP

Screenwriter
Ric: I'm not trying to debunk it. I'm merely seeking more information to find out if it really works. Quite frankly, there are holes in the theory
You're absolutely right, there are. In fact If you read the messages I posted early in this thread, I was fairly skeptical myself. I heard of this tweak on AVS awhile back. APM (the master tweaker) was advocating it and most of what I said was originally his explanation (I paraphrased).
I'm certainly not saying that there is a foolproof logical scientific basis behind how or why this thing (allegedly) works, just that I get a bit miffed when the "SCIENCE!" brigade comes storming into any thread with the word "tweak" in it. :)
I've tried it, and while I can't say that there absolutely wasn't any difference, I can't say with 100% certainty that there was either. But I'm comfortable in the fact that I tried it, and now I know for myself, first hand.
I wont talk about them here, but there are a couple of the so-called "impossible" tweaks that I've tried that DO work without a doubt. I couldn't tell you how or why, but myself and everyone I've tried to "trick" into not believing has wound up believing. I know that theres more to these things than a 100% scientific background. I mean if these things were 100% scientifically proven, they wouldn't be "tweaks" would they? They'd be upgrades! :)
------------------
Ric Perrott
My Theater ;My DVD's
"RicP's posts are SUPERBLY ERUDITE!" - David Manning, Ridgefield Press

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
No, neither would I challenge you to prove it. I would dismiss you as a crackpot and ignore you....would you guys please show us the same courtesy?
Ah, but Mike, part of our motivation in talking about proof and placebo, etc. is the hope that by doing so we will save OTHERS from going down the crackpot path. We know YOU'RE a lost cause. :)
------------------

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
quote: No, the cancer will take care of that anyway.[/quote]
The jist is that nothing offered here is on that degree of seriousness.
quote: The results of my cure could lead to life.[/quote]
Again, you make my case for me. Nothing offered here is to the degree of your ridiculous analogy.
You see, nobody is making the claim that it will cure a life threatening illness, only that it can possibly offer a better picture and better sound. There is a HUGE difference. A difference you obvioulsy fail to recognize.
What exactly do you find "outrageous"?
You said yourself: quote: It's possible that the charging circuit is making a difference in the AC power.[/quote] So, from your own unscientific observations, you admit something could be affecting the AC. WOW!!! that is so OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! LOL!
quote: Anyone making outrageous claims should be able to provide proof.[/quote]
Again, not that ANYTHING outrageous has been offered, as you admitted above, but where is it written that "proof should be provided"? Is this something you require for every purchase you make? Is it something you require for EVERY decision you make? That's an awfully skeptical way to live life. I sure hope you don't have a need for religion, you'd probably be out of luck looking for "proof".
quote: Otherwise, as Mike said, they will likely be dismissed as crackpots.[/quote]
You can call it crackpot all you want. I'm sure the prevailing thought of the day was that those that thought the world was round were "crackpots" since there was no "PROOF".
quote: I'm sure they'll make millions.[/quote]
Is that your main concern? That folks might make millions while YOU could save the masses from this supreme injustice? LOL!
laugh.gif

Barr Plexico

Auditioning
Gee - this would probably be an inopportune time to mention the infamous wooden face plate tweak?
"I know most people have become or are aware of the importance of the use of audio grade AC wall outlets. What most people do not know is the importance of using the right AC wall outlet plate also. Most AC wall oulet plates are metal or plastic. Replace all of your AC wall outlet plates in your audio and your home theater systems with wooden AC wall outlet plates. "
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000029.html
Or my vibrapods?
Or my CAT-5 speaker cable?
Or hospital grade outlets?
Or putting marble/slate under my subwoofer?
Or my red push attenuator?
Lest anyone think I am being facetious I am not - I have tried all of these, and while I cannot quantify the differences some of these items have made, other than the red push attenuator and the mable (mileage will vary), they have all led to endless hours of fun and amusement (especially for my friends). Yes, I pick and choose my tweaks, and I will certainly be running down to Radio Shack to pick up one of those Digital Clock radios...
wink.gif

...I do draw the line at freezing my CDs....
-- Barr
------------------

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Mike,
I brought the placebo effect up in another thread and in know way meant it as a slight to you in any way. I find you're ramblings quite informative and useful.
Kevin C.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
quote: Or putting marble/slate under my subwoofer?[/quote]
Actually, of all the tweaks you mentioned, that was the one that actually made a noticeable difference... not huge, but definitely noticeable.
I'll admit that I'm skeptical about the clock tweak, but I'm willing to try it out. The bottom line is, if it does enhance your sound/picture then you've spent almost nothing for an improvement in your HT experience. If it doesn't work, then you can take the thing back or put it in your guest bedroom as an alarm clock or something.
Hey, I believe in the Placebo Effect, but I also believe there are some things that science hasn't been able to explain. Furthermore, I believe that all things can be scientifically explained, only that our science is still too deficient to provide us with definitive answers on very many things. I find the arrogance of some "Tech-heads" to be completely laughable, especially considering how our scientific knowledge is still in it's infancy.
Heh, the greatest architectural minds of our generation still can't explain how the Egyptians built the pyramids, but a few Science nuts on an internet BBS are absolutely positive that a clock can't affect HT. That's just funny.
laugh.gif

------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

JerryW

Supporting Actor
...I do draw the line at freezing my CDs....
Yeah me too, except for my Foreigner CDs. For some reason "Cold as Ice" seemed to sound better...
wink.gif

------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Does it matter the size of the LCD clock? I have an old one lying around so I plugged it in. Don't know if it made any difference or not but it was a free tweak.
Kevin

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You see, nobody is making the claim that it will cure a life threatening illness, only that it can possibly offer a better picture and better sound. There is a HUGE difference.
OK, then I change my mind. My device no longer cures cancer, it increases the size and thickness of your penis. You hold it up to your manhood, play the tones, and watch that bad boy grow. Are you going to try it? Would you try it if 5 of my friends said it worked? Or would you require some more substantial evidence?
What exactly do you find "outrageous"?
The whole idea that a $20 clock, designed merely to display the time, cleans up "dirty" power to the point that expensive components work better. If this was the case, I don't think Toshiba would have skimped on their top of the line RP-HDTV I bought from them by not building the clock right into the set. They didn't skimp on anything else, why would they leave out something that would make the TV even better than it already is? And I know it's not there - I looked all over inside my set and couldn't find it.
wink.gif

Is this something you require for every purchase you make? Is it something you require for EVERY decision you make? That's an awfully skeptical way to live life. I sure hope you don't have a need for religion, you'd probably be out of luck looking for "proof".
Yes, I require proof for every purchase I make - proof that the product works as advertised. I go into stores to play with the device. I check out reviews & dig up any information I can before making a purchase. When I'm satisfied, I buy. I sure as hell wouldn't have bought my HDTV on faith. I had to see it first. As for religion, you'll be surprised to know that I consider myself a Christian and while I believe in the concept of faith as applied to religion, unlike most I started with proof. Yes, the existence of spirits/ghosts/whatever you want to call them has been proven to me. Unfortunately, the proof was only shown, not given, so I don't have it to show to you. Without said proof, I'm not even going to attempt to talk you into believing in them, or in my story for that matter. I'm happy to share my experiences with others but that's as far as it goes without proof. (If you want to chat more on this subject we can take it up elsewhere, as this is not the place)
So, from your own unscientific observations, you admit something could be affecting the AC. WOW!!! that is so OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! LOL!
Quoting me out of context will not further this discussion in a productive way. My statement was made as a hypothesis and you know it. It was also on the basis of one major (and still unknown) variable: Does the clock recharge it's backup battery? If not, then the whole explanation for why this tweak works is incorrect and needs to be reevaluated.
Is that your main concern? That folks might make millions while YOU could save the masses from this supreme injustice?
Nope. I said earlier that I am genuinely interested in this tweak and am merely seeking some 2x4's to prop it up with. As it stands now.. well, to be honest, it doesn't stand at all. I'm hoping the clock followers will build it some legs so I can make a well informed decision.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Sheesh Ryan, just buy one and try it... ya cheapskate.
wink.gif

------------------

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Are you going to try it? Would you try it if 5 of my friends said it worked? Or would you require some more substantial evidence?
If it also told the time and only cost twenty bucks...sure ill try it. If it doesnt work for my penis at least I will have a timepiece! :)
Mike

David James

Stunt Coordinator
"but a few Science nuts on an internet BBS are absolutely positive that a clock can't affect HT. That's just funny"
I'm not sure we're maintaining our civility here :) I can't speak for Ryan, but I am not saying it can't work only that I'm skeptical and would like to see the "science" behind the claim. Certainly as others so delicately pointed out we could try it and see for ourselves but what's the fun in that :) I don't have the time or desire to try every tweak which dribbles across these forums. I've been in the computer business for about 20 years now and by nature am curious about how things work and skeptical about amazing claims. Claims, for example, which state: "your soundstage will bloom with increased width and depth and much better imaging" or "Increased color saturation, less grain, and video depth", simply by "supposedly" modifying the current supplied to the equipment. Even if someone could prove that the clock can modify the current characteristics to the equipment, there is still the natty detail how that would do what the claims say. As someone else said, with all the a/v equipment makers out there in a highly competitive market, spending millions on R&D, don't you find it astonishing none of them had thought about this, adding a couple of bucks worth of electronics, to make it do all this wonderful stuff, I know I do.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Ryan,
I believe there is a clock inside your TV, I know that I set mine up in the setup menus. It's there for those folks who like their TV's to come automatically. :)
Since you already have an HDTV, you may not notice much difference at all. You have spent thousands of dollars on equipment, yet an $18.00 clock tweak sends you over the edge.
It's simple, if you don't want to try the tweak, don't. For those of us who just HAVE to have an answer, there is none available here on this forum(obviously). If you try the tweak and it doesn't work, you're just out the price of a DVD. If it works, you're happy, and still out the price of a DVD.
------------------
The Bailey's Web Page and Home Theatre
The Bailey's DVD Collection

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
A lot of tweakers think that if the "trick" is cheap, why not try it? Well, of course they can try whatever they want. But I know that there are other "type" of people who need to understand what is happening before making an stampede to the store. People who need objective measures to believe in something, and of course, this have nothing to do with the cost of the "tweak".
Would anyone go to an astrologer just because is cheap?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks