What's new

Anyone heard of Realistic Mach 2 Main speakers? (1 Viewer)

DanBriones

Auditioning
I saw some at a garage sale for under $100. They look like a decent set of speakers. 3 way with a Horn tweeter, maybe a 4" mid, and a 15" woofer. Im a newbie to this HT and this is actually my first post here. I was thinking of buying these for mains, although i built a 88.5 liter subwoofer with the Shiva driver and a PE 250w amp for the bass (excellent sub for under $300 by the way). My mains now are an ancient pair of technics 2 way paper tweeter and a 8" woofer. Just wondering if anyone here has heard of em or used em in a HT set-up. I read a few reviews on the Mach 2 but none of them where in HT set-up that I remember. I might just buy them anyway worst that could happen is I'll have to make a garage setup out of them :)
Thanks for any help.
Dan

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I still have a set of these! Actually, I just upgraded from the Mach II's to the JBL NSP1's and PB12 subwoofer about a month ago. I bought those gargantuan things about 15 years ago, and they still sounded good; they're relegated to my storage building out back now. Loose connection or something in one of the speakers-the sound kept 'bumping' in and out.And I needed to get something that would keep up with today's technology-I was afraid I was missing out. IMO, you'll still need a sub to keep up w/the movies today-SOOO much more bass capability.

I *think* I originally paid ~$350 for the pair, so depending on their condition, under $100 would be pretty good. Use your own judgement however. Try to see if you could hook them up and audition them though.

Good luck!

DanBriones

Auditioning
Was there a big difference in sound from the Mach II to the JBL's? Hows the imaging on the Mach II. Did they do a decent job at HT? I know they will sound different for everyone, with all the variances in setups but I'm just curious of your opinion. And they sure are pretty big! They seem to be built solid though, veneered even.
Dan

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I heard my friend's pair of Mach Two's over the July 4 holiday. We were sitting in his backyard looking at the fireworks his neighbor was firing up into the night sky. The Mach Two was blasting firework music from Disney's firework show. Sounded great powered by an old Sony receiver....until the police heliocopter showed up overhead.

I think if you compared them to JBL's NSP1, you will find the JBL's to image much better. With a sub, you can easily top the Mach Two's.

Thanks for the Radio Shack link....only 83db sensitivity for the Minimus 7's?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Dan,
I probably would still have them in my setup if it weren't for that loose connection or whatever it was, plus one more very important factor that seems to affect people on this Forum at one time or another: The Upgrade Bug!
Seriously, I really wanted something more than what I had, which for a long time was standard stereo. THAT required that I get rid of the hot 100-watt Realistic receiver of that time also. (Yeah, I know, guys; but I was on a REALLY tight budget at the time and "home theater" wasn't even in the vocabulary of the day!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks