What's new

Anyone heard JM Labs speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
How do they compare to like a VRM series boston acoustic? I am proably more curious about the cobalt or chorus line. Are they really pretty incredible? I am not looking at buying just curious. There is a place in town that has them I may go take a listen one day.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
hmm, that came off abruptly :frowning:

I haven't really spent time with BA, so can't compare, but you should always take the opportunity to listen to speakers. I personally didn't like the JM labs, they were just "odd" I guess you could say. Detailed, nice, but just... i dunno, bleh? Everyone has different tastes though.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_J_D

Auditioning
I listened to the JM Labs Electra bookshelves a couple of months ago when I was looking for some new speakers for my two channel setup. The amp used was a Rogue 88 tube amplifier and a Cal Audio 15 cd player. The JM Labs were detailed galore and had a huge soundstage and impressive bass for a bookshelf speaker. The detail wasn't bright sounding to me just seemed to be too exagerated for my taste. A good speaker though and you should audition them if you can.

I decided to buy a pair of Spendor S8s instead as I listened to them right after the JM Labs demo in the same store on the same equipment. More neutral sounding overall and sweet liquid midrange that I preferred.

Haven't listened to any Boston Acoustics lately.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well cool I will have to go take a listen. Because they are the same company as Focal and I love Focal speakers.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I think they are very detailed and transparent without being bright and the mids are very very good. Micro Utopia's were on my short list before I bought my Tetra Space's. I do think they sound a little dry with solid state amps though and sound best with tubes.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a pair of JMLab Cobalt 816S. Using a tube amp to drive it. I find that the sound is very detailed, transparent, great imaging, wide soundstage and very lively. The sound is little bit on the bright side. But when you pair it up with tubes gear or warm solid state amp. The sound is wonderful for its price.
However, I have recently purchased a pair of Spendor SP2/3, and I find it very different to JMLab sound. More warm and smoother vocal.
They both have different advantages and disadvantages. Depending on taste. Hope that help :b

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard the entire Electra line and utopia line. I like them very much. I have the cc-901, 927Be, and SW900 as my system. They just sound so good to me. Check out my reviews. Do s a search on the 927Be and SW900 and you will see them. They are under the user name MikeDuke. I have also heard a Cobalt set up. It was very nice indeed.
Mike D

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have JM Lab Micro Utopias (paired with an 18" Velodyne servo sub). The Utopias are incredible: detail, soundstage, transparency galore. Perfection.
-Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks