What's new

Anyone heard any plans for a Parenthood (Ron Howard) special edition dvd? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I know that universal released this movie on dvd already, but its only in pan and scann.. and tonight TCM played the widescreen edition of the movie. It looked very nice. I know that Director Ron Howard has done special edition for his other films.. I was wondering if anyone heard about a special edition in the works?

JACOB

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything, but count me in as someone who'd buy this in an instant.

Any plans for them to re-air that BTW?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they played parenthood as part of the oscar month.. it was nominated for two oscars, best supporting actress and best original song.
they might play again in a month or so.. or more.
JACOB

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I would love this, too. I'm even in the movie! (an extra)

I think the 4:3 version is open matte, so at least it isn't chopping off side info if that's true.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it seem that the movie was filmed at 1.85 when I watched the letterbox edition last night.

JACOB

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
What's odd about this title is that it was one of Universal's early DVD releases (late '97/early '98) and went OOP a couple or more years ago so most thought that it was a sign that a SE version was on its way. When nothing was announced eBay prices got as high as $100 - which seemed a little bizarre for such a poor presentation. Then quietly enough Universal re-released the DVD using the same UPC, in fact I don't think they changed anything on the DVD including the cover art.

I agree that a SE version of 'Parenthood' would be fantastic, but I have just about given up trying to second guess Universal's decision making when it comes to their DVD releases. They have fumbled the ball too many times on the 1 yard line for me to get excited about any upcoming Universal DVDs.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It may have been filmed flat using the entire 1.37:1 negative, and the FF transfer may be mostly open matte, but that does not mean it is entirely open matte. There could be plently of parts that are cropped for whatever reason.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's been almost 9 years since this title was first released. I'm really tempted to just pick up the MAR version because it looks like NOTHING is in store at this point. *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks