What's new

Anyone have the Marantz SR-9200? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This unit is now at one of my local shops here. They do not have it set up yet. I have been anxiously waiting to audition this tank of a receiver. It looks to be simply awesome. Has anyone bought one yet, heard one or demo'd one? I am also interested if anyone has any feedback on the SR-8200. That one is a little easier on the wallet. And if there is not a huge difference between the 2 models I might go with the 8200.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in these too. The things that has held me back from buying a Marantz receivers are lack of true DTS-ES discrete and Surround EX, plus that damned 100Hz crossover which I assume will be lowered to 80 due to the THX spec.
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD Collection

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Anyone bought it yet? I am looking for some reviews. I have the opportunity to pick one up for a very reasonable price.

Tom Luczywo

Auditioning
Hey guys.....

I am a Marantz dealer from Cleveland Ohio, and I just met with the national sales manager from Marantz and we talked extensively about the company's direction, the new remotes, and the coming receivers. First off I also sell Denon, Sony, and NAD as far as my current receiver lines. I have experience with Integra and Elite, as I have sold those guys as well. I will give my opinion that Marantz is a phenominal product from head to toe. The build quality is first rate. Amplifier section is VERY strong, and Marantz is very proud of the new line because of this........especially the 8200 and the 9200. They seem stronger than their rated power. These two receivers are packed with features..........RS232, wideband component video switching (4 in 1 out on the 9200). They both come with RC3200 programmable remote controls (like the Philips Pronto, but a little smaller). The SR8200 is THX Select, Dolby Digital 6.1, DTS ES-Discrete and Matrix, and Pro Logic II. The SR9200 is THX Ultra, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES-Discrete, Matrix, and Neo. The 9200 has 1mb of memory so you can download into the receiver (i.e. THX Ultra 2 specs). Both of these receivers output it's on-screen displays no matter what you use, S-video, composite, OR component video! Very cool. The processors are 2 24 bit chips and 192/24bit Crystal DACx7.........and very well programmed. Ohhhhh, AND a little cool feature is that the receivers can video sense on (you turn your tv or dvd player on, and the receiver clicks on).

Let me know what you guys think if you get one!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Thanks for the info on the 8200/9200. This may be a little off topic, but since you are a dealer perhaps you can shed some light on the problems that many owners have had with the 5/6/7200 models. For example, my 6200 had awful S-video interference which was repaired, but there are still problems - the video goes out of sync whenever there are bright, quick edits in the program source (I have tried various grades of cable, to the same effect, and the problem does not exist when I hook up the component directly to the TV). Other users have reported louder than normal hissing at high volumes, and audio CD dropouts when using digital cable.

I would hope that Marantz has fixed these problems for the latest production run, and that they won't show up on the higher-end models.

Chris M

Second Unit
Chris, I had the same problem too, and sent an email to a distributer. Here is the reply:

Thanks for purchasing one of our products. Yes we've experienced some

S-Video switching problems with the first run of SR-5200 & SR-6200's, what

we've found is the S-Video surface mount transistor was getting some

interference from the DAC. There is a simple mod that was done to these

receivers that corrected this problem but unfortunately we found this out

after a number of units we're sold. We've set-up three places in Canada to

quickly do the mod and get our customers up and running again without to

much inconvenience, in Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Toronto.

Please ship your unit to:

HVL Electronics

1721 Davie Street

Vancouver, BC

V6G 1W5

attn. Brad Melnicky

ph. (604) 689-8919

fax.(604) 689-5689

Brad will do the mod and return your receiver within a day.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Darren Kolotyluk

Lenbrook A/V Canada

Suite 200, 4170 Still Creek Drive

Burnaby, BC

V5C 6C6

ph. (604) 298-6433

fax (604) 298-6438

Hope that helps,

Chris.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well what would really be nice is if Marantz could sort out the audio drop-out problem. I have it, many other SR 5200/6200/7200 owners have it. I have experienced it in store with a 7200 and 5200 both using a Pioneer 503 DVD changer and so I doubt its my Panasonic that is causing the problem. If you are a dealer, you should seriously tell Marantz they ARE losing customers because of this. Loss of sales. We are returning the receivers because they aren't working. I like to hear every milli-second of the track, starting right from 0:00. My receivers drops out audio at the beginning of tracks all the time and its frustrating me. Its annoying. If Marantz would fix my receiver I'd be happy, but after 4 weeks at the distributor, it came back to me unfixed. What can I do? I'm returning it and not buying a Marantz unless its garanteed better. I'll probably buy an Onkyo or something.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Chris M,

Thanks, but as I mentioned, my 6200 was already "repaired" (in fact mine was one of the first units sent to Lenbrook for repair on this issue), and the vertical hold problem during flashy edits remains. Lenbrook is stumped. I plan to exchange the unit for another 6200, but if that does not completely cure the problem I will look at Yamaha or Onkyo.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well guy's, I did it! I just got back from ordering the SR-9200! ;) I can't wait! They had one in the demo room. I played with it for awhile and loved it. Star Wars Episodr 1 sounded great. I also tried out some dvd-audio and super audio cd and it performed flawless. Quite a big step up from my SR-7000. Anyways, once I get it in and try it out on my system I will give you guys some feedback.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Pete, the sound was clean, warm and the soudstage was very open. I have a hard time explaining how it sounded, it just sounded better than my 7000. You really have to hear it. It did not sound strained at all. Lots of power and it has the 80hz crossover instead of the 100hz. The look is very clean, very robust. It has the machined look on the front just like the rest of the Marantz line. You can check it out at marantz.com

Tom Luczywo

Auditioning
Guys,

One thing I do need to caution you on is the RC3200 remote. This remote can be computer programmed like the Philips pronto and is very similar (except the software slightly different) to the Pronto Neo. The software to program the remotes with a computer is not done yet because there are bugs in it. So my caution to everyone is to just be patient while Marantz gets the software perfected. Don't be distracted from buying the receivers, as I have sold and installed several 5200's and am toying with the 8200 and 9200's and they are the best receivers in my opinion right now on the market. And as far as I know, Marantz is addressing the video problems and will take care of their customers if there are any problems.

Tom Luczywo

Auditioning
Pete,

In response to your question to the build comparison between the 7000 and the new 9200.........

NO comparison AT ALL.........

the 8200 and the 9200 are built like tanks. they are tall and have a flat square face for mounting in Middle Atlantic racks. The faceplates are thicker and the chassis is much heavier. One thing I like on Marantz products IS build quality.........I don't see any buttons that are loose, and every button and knob seems firmly set in the receiver........this goes for the whole new line of Marantz receivers. The 9200 is basically a reference Marantz receiver. If you are familliar with the SR14, 18 and 19, you know what I am talking about. It is built that heavy, and even has the gyro tuning wheel. Copper plated chassis, and gold plated terminals, and hand selected components. Also, Marantz even put in independent power supplies to power the front panel display, audio and video sections of the receiver to ensure the least amount of noise and interference to sound quality.........

They really did a great job on this thing, guys!

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Tom, I'm not too worried about the remote that comes with the 8200. I am the very satisfied owner of a Home Theater Master MX-500 that I had previously setup for the Marantz 7200 (which I returned), so I should not even need the 8200's remote initially. I can be as patient as I need to be with this sexy looking remote.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, the remote is a sweet thing. I was messing around with it at the local shop and found it pretty easy to use. It's like coming from the dark ages as far as remotes go. The sr-7000 remote is nice but nothing like this one. I really think that Marantz is going to be the big boy on the block again.

MichaelH

Auditioning
Tom (or anyone!):

You indicated the 9200 has wide bandwidth component switching... Can you give us the exact stats in that regard??? marantz.com data sheet doesn't say anything in real numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks