Anyone have experience with X10 wireless cameras?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared_B, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I am thinking about getting some type of home surveillance system, and I came accross these X10 units. Actually, how could I avoid them, they pop-up at almost every website out there. Has anyone bought from these people? Are the units themselves worth it? I would prefer a wireless setup, maybe even motion activated. If anyone has something like this, can you give me some ideas on how you are using it?
    Thanks,
    Jared

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

3. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

If you ever want to set up an 802.11b wireless network, don't bother: The cameras will interfere.
    That really shouldn't be the case. 802.11b is a direct-sequence spread spectrum system that should be reasonably good at getting around FM sources like those cameras. Even if there's interference, you should be able to change the WLAN's channel assignment to avoid it. Have you actually run into trouble with video cameras and WLANs? I'd be curious to hear how bad it really is.

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Cool, lotsa washington residents here....
    Ryan, I am originally from Wenatchee, not too far from you. Thanks for the input on the camaras. They do seem too cheap to be worth-while. What kind of setup do you have? (or would you consider buying?).
    -
    Jared

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter