What's new

Anyone have any pics of completed black Formica enclosures? (1 Viewer)

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Would like to see how they turned out. Feel free to email them to me as well if their not on the web. Any response is very appreciated!
Thanks
Terry

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Here are some of my pics. Formica on all sides except for the front. Front baffle is Padauk, an exotic wood. Finish is natural Watco(wet sanded).
Link Removed
Here are some others:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ken, FYI: to get your Geocities photo files to show up, replace "www" with "fp" in the URL of the photo files.
BTW, your speakers look awesome!
Here are your "clickable" links:
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
Link Removed
IIRC, I know Brian Steele made some nice sealed subs with the formica laminate.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ken, beautiful work! Doncha just love that Watco Danish oil finish? That's what I use on my rosewood veneer.
Patrick: so that's how to get geocities picture files to come up?! I tried for two frustrating weeks to make it work. I finally had to build a web page with their page builder. My photos are low res on there, so I may start over, but I'll try one picture this new way. Thanks.

Eric M L

Grip
Hank....it works if you add the .jpg extension to your sub3 filename.
OK, ya beat me to it!
biggrin.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hank, yep, I read about this Geocities work-around in the forum feedback section, and proceeded to do a "find-and-replace" on all my DIY sub photos on my webpages pointing to Geocities. Saved me the hassle of creating webpages that sit on Geocities for now. :)
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Ken looks great!
I ordered some from home Depot today. Ordered vertical grade Formica brand 190 black super gloss for 0.98 a square foot but can only order it in 4 X 10 sheets, not bad $39.20 a sheet. Much less expensive than I thought it was going to be.
Thanks for the pics, look for my sub in the next couple of weeks.
Terry

Robert Cozine

Auditioning
I have a question for Ken. Your speakers look great, by the way. Can you give any construction suggestions? Did you put the front baffle on after applying and routing the laminate? I'm curious as to how you managed to keep from scratching the laminate.
Thanks,
Robert Cozine

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, those are great ,too. I had never considered formica...how is it to work (Ken)?
------------------
Link Removed

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Terry,
Are U the one that emailed me asking about pics of my subs? If you are I tried sending them to you but got a non=deliverable message.
Anyway here are a few...
16772236.jpg

16772239.jpg

22475285.jpg

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Yep that was me, yours was the first one that came to mind do to the excellent job you did. Thanks for posting them! Your old web host no longer had them when I tried to reference it. Thanks again.
Terry
PS-Any with the grill on?

CRyan

Screenwriter
What was the cutting method employed for the laminate? The edges look really clean and wondered how this was done? Router, table saw with extra fine blade, or some other method. Also, what did you use to sand the edges of the newly cut formica?
Thanks for any input.
C. Ryan

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the compliments
The Formica sheet I got was the postforming(vertical application) variety. It's .020" thick. The color is 909 polished. Formica supposedly makes a color through grade(according to their website), but, when my building center(Ganahl Lumber) tried to order it they(Formica) didn't seem to know anything about it. It may be a special order, I don't know.
The Formica comes with clear plastic to help prevent scratches. Keep this on as long as you can. Before you trim each piece fold back the protective plastic a bit and run a piece of masking tape along the edge. This will allow the router bit bearing to contact the masking tape and prevent any damage to the laminate.
The Formica was applied to all sides except on the front. I applied the back first, then the sides, then top & bottom. You apply one side at a time with contact cement. Trim the laminate, then go on to the next one.
If you can get your hands on a laminate trimmer, I highly recommend it. Although a standard router will do, a laminate router is alot easier to control.
After all the laminate trimming was done I applied the oversize(1/4" overhang) piece of Padauk. I used yellow glue for this and 6 bar clamps(with protective pads). 24 hours later, I trimmed the Padauk with a flush trimming bit in my standard router.
Link Removed
When the all the trimming was done, I then routed all the cutouts/recesses for the drivers. I know what you're thinking, what if you make a mistake? Yeah, that's scared me too. But I have enough experience making these cutouts I'm pretty comfortable that I won't make a mistake. I made my own adjustable circle cutter from a salvaged Craftsman circle jig. It works great on my Porter Cable plunge router.
A note about Padauk. I absolutely love this wood, it's beautiful. It also comes in some pretty wide pieces, which is nice since I don't have to glue-up pieces. I purchased an 8'x 10" piece from Rockler, they even have wider pieces. The wood is also very stable, not much cupping or bowing.
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks