What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Great! Four f$^%ing months after I buy a DC14, they introduce this.

Love the DC14 (Animal) for what it's worth. Can't believe what was in the carpets. Scary.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Well I think im sold... but two questions.

I currently have a $250 Kenmore upright with a freakin long attachment hose that allows you to stretch it up to 30 feet or something stupid like that. The problem is that if you start stretching the hose and yyou don'tthave the upright positioned just right the force on the hose will actually pull the damn thing over. Sometimes hitting the wall or worse yet my wife. Because of this I have to do all the vacuuming! The wife hates it!

So how does the Ddysonwork with the hose attachment? Any chance of pulling the bad boy over when you start stretching the hose?

Also our kenmore's latch that hods the upright... well upright has worn considerably and will fall flat with the slightest bump. Any sign of that on the Dyson?

Neal_C

Second Unit
We bought our yellow Dyson back in December. Sears had them on sale, then got Home Depot to price match and give their 110% price match guarantee, and after it was all said and done I think we paid about $350 after tax and got no interest, no payments for 12 months.

My wife was skeptical so I had her vacuum an area with our Hoover bagless (after I had just vacuumed 2 days earlier) and then I went back over it with the Dyson. It as disgusting how much extra the Dyson picked up. Needless to say, the skepticism was gone and we still have the Dyson. I actually vacuumed 8 days in a row after we got it until I was satisfied with how little it was picking up so I didn't feel so dirty in own house anymore.

Dyson's are worth every penny.

As for the hose...it is a stretch hose, so to get full reach, I usually have to tuck the Dyson next to a chair or something or else it can pull toward you or fall over. Not really that big of deal for me though, and definitely not a deal breaker.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
OK so, I bought the DC07 Purple Animal one. got it reconditioned on Amazon for $325. Lists for about $500. Ive used it, and I love it. I couldnt believe how much it picked up, I noticed too, that there is a lot less dust around now. Great vaccum :emoji_thumbsup:
Here is an article which talks about James Dyson (the inventor) which I came across.
http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArti...rticleID=10058 its just below the COMING TO AMERICA" part.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
After reading all of the positive & negative reports on Dyson, curiosity got the better of me - I picked up the iPod version of the Dyson at Costco (an all white + clear amber full kit DC-14).
I hated vacuuming before but the Dyson makes the chore more tolerable. I confess I only had a sucky (in a bad way) Eureka Powerline Plus model from way back. It is obnoxiously loud, kicks up a lot of dust, and heavy to operate. Who knows how well it cleaned since I disliked working with it so much, I eventually stopped using it altogether.
When I got the Dyson home, I was astonished by how much it picked up - the bin was full after one pass. Again, I don't have any experience with other newer models from different manufacturers to compare, but at least the Dyson appeared to pick up a lot of shit.
Plus, it's bundled with a lot of gadgets. In addition to the normal attachments, a mini turbine head, extra filter, and bare floor tool are thrown in. So for the gadget gurus (particularly those enamored with color coordinating their iPods with all of their appliances) whose appetite extends to vacuuming, you might be able to satiate your hunger with this machine.
Costco's version of the DC-14

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
When "The Ball" became available some of the local stores put the others on sale. I bought an "Animal" and LOVE it. Incredible what is coming out of the carpets. (Two cats. :)) I used to hate vaccuming, too, but I'm doing much more of it now. Even bought a big bucket of those little carpet cleaning sponges at Home Depot. I'm thrilled with the thing.
Regards,
Joe

The question I have is how do these models do with hair getting wrapped up in rollers (brushes). I know with our two cats and my gf with long hair the rollers with the brushes on them get tangled(wrapped around the rollers) up with hair and have to be cleaned occasionally.

Neal_C

Second Unit
The roller on the Dyson will have to be cleaned of tangled hair just like other vacuums. It is just a product of the roller and does not make the Dyson less of a vacuum.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There's a mostly-dry carpet cleaning "powder" that Dyson includes with some models. What looks a bit like dry grits is actually thousands of tiny, slightly damp sponges. You are supposed to scatter them over your carpet, rub them deep into the carpet pile (using an included attachement), let them sit for 30 minutes or so to absorb the dirt, then vacuum them up. Dyson's branded version comes in a resealable pouch, and you can reorder more of it. But the manufacturer also sells the stuff directly (as well as with their own device for combing it through the carpet) and Home Depot carries it in big quantities. Since circumstances forced me to move into my current condo on very short notice I was never able to have the carpets professionally cleaned (or replaced) before the furniture went in and have not had the time patience or energy to deal with the whole issue since. So "dry cleaning" the carpets a room at a time now really appeals to me and this stuff looks like it might be the way to do it. So rather than pay Dyson's rather high price, I researched the material on the internet and bought a tub of it at HD. I'll probably take a few days off next month to do a real top-to-bottom clean up of the place and report back here when I'm done.

Regards,

Joe

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We bought a Dyson Animal DC-14 and I concur with the rest as far as how good it was. I didn't feel the ball was worth the extra money. I paid $475 ish after 10% off at Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks