What's new

anyone go to the journey/reo/styx concert? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

if anyone has gone to see this, could you let me know which order the bands came out in?

my sis is going, but may be late. she's okay with missing reo, but would like to see the rest.

thx!

ted

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the show last friday at HP Pavilion in San Jose. Styx opened up with REO in the middle and Journey last. Styx and REO have been alternating as the opening act. According to the tour dates posted on the REO Speedwagon website, it looks like REO will be the opening act at Arco Arena.

I would recommend that if your sister can make it, try and be there for REO. When I went, I was all amped up to see Styx and Journey. Styx was very good. A lot heavier and aggressive than I expected. Journey was merely okay. I was a bit disappointed in fact. They lacked energy and while their new Steve Perry sound-alike lead singer sounds good, he's not the greatest showman.

However, I was completely floored by REO Speedwagon. I'm somewhat familiar with their songs. I only have their greatest hits on CD, so I'm not really a big fan. Their performance was by far the best of the three. They had a ton of energy and sounded great. Their songs sound much better live than they do on CD/cassette/vinyl. It was so shocking how good they were. In fact, if they came back to town, I would definitely go see them again.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
However, I was completely floored by REO Speedwagon
James I would totally agree with you. I saw the Styx/REO show last year at the local state fair. I too only have the greatest hits CD. But by far REO put on a much more energetic show and the quality of the music and sound was greater then I expected.

I am a casual fan when it comes to REO but would recommend checking out the show.

Styx puts on a decent show too, but the show is heavily skewed towards what Tommy Shaw does now, it seems like Tommy has finally gotten the Styx he has always wanted, I'm not sure it's the Styx the fans really want to see.

Paul

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I've really gotten into Styx only recently. I was always familiar with their stuff in the early 80's but only casually. I know that a lot of long time Styx fans hate the Tommy Shaw incarnation of the group, but I'm okay with it. I did recently buy the Return to Paradise concert DVD and the band certainly is a lot different with Dennis DeYoung.

The only disappointment which I had with Styx at the show last week was that they didn't play Mr. Roboto. I was really curious to hear that live. However, it was more disappointing that they didn't play my favorite Styx song, Suite Madame Blue.

So Ted, did your sister like the show?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey james -

she's going tonight. i'm going to ask her for a mini-review...

how can they not play mr. roboto! that song's a classic! i still remember hanging out with my friend Scott Putney and listening to that song over and over! :D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Any of you boys have DirecTV?

They are running a Styx/REO Free View all month.

I am not a huge fan or either band, but the show is pretty good. Note perfect renditions of the songs you would expect to hear, and at the end, both bands come out together and play a couple of each others songs.

Personally, I am pretty jazzed to be going to see ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, and Kenny Wayne Shepard on a triple bill June 3rd.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks