What's new

anyone get Warner's "The Mummy"? (Hammer's 1959 version) (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I cannot find this disc at local retailers and I've searched the internet for reviews... nothing!
Has anyone picked this disc up yet?
If so, how does it look/sound?
Thanks

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I believe the release date was changed to next Tuesday, October 9th. Warner's B-to-B website lists that date.

StevenA

Second Unit
This was indeed released yesterday (I picked mine up at Dave's Video, although that's a little far for you to drive).
I am so excited about having this in my hands. I picked up Terminator yesterday as well, and haven't had time to check out either, but the title I'm most excited about is Hammer's Mummy!

Abraham

Auditioning
Not here. I pre-ordered it for $10.47 from DVDPlanet.com and they now show its status as "coming soon".

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Well, some retailers ( dvdempire.com ) finally have the box art up, but I still can't find this title at any local retailers. Additionally, no reviews have turned up on the web yet either.
Bummer.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I knew most B&M stores would not have it so I preordered mine awhile ago :D . I popped it in the player the other day just to check it out briefly. The picture quality seems to be the best I've ever seen of this film and yes it is ANAMORPHIC widescreen. The sound is adequate although a little tinny especially with the musical score (although Hammer's musical scores tend to be a little harsh sounding) but I didn't expect a rousing new mix for this film anyway.
icon14.gif

All in all as a huge HAMMER fan I am very happy to finally see this on DVD. Now if we could just kick Warner in the ass to get them to release their other HAMMER classics.
Jim

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
So, have you all watched your Mummy DVDs yet? Any more opinions on this title? I read a really good on-line review of this film today and now I am wondering if this is worth buying. I have never seen this version of the film.
Deborah
------------------

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
Just the review I read! I have not seen many Hammer films, with the exception of the Hammer version of The Phantom of the Opera, a some what muddled but none the less rather interesting take on the POTO story. and I know Christopher Lee, of course, but am not so familiar with Peter Cushing. Still, I like a lot of horror movies and enjoy many older films, so perhaps I should give this one a go.
Deborah
p.s. I have not seen the original The Mummy in more than 30 years, but I remember being pretty terrified by it the night my brother and I watch it on a late night movie show.
------------------

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Warner has their work cut out for them. With THE MUMMY out, next they must do these Hammer films:
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
HORROR OF DRACULA
DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE
TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
DRACULA A.D. 1972
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH
SHE
MOON ZERO TWO
What are you waiting for Warner??? For another MUMMY review, see www.dvddrive-in.com.
[Edited last by George_Reis on October 11, 2001 at 10:48 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've never seen Hammer's The Mummy. Sounds pretty cool - you really can't go wrong with Lee and Cushing. I'll check it out!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Perry,
Chuck wasnt in the Mummy (1959) so the Heston conspiracy doesnt fly with this one.
tongue.gif

Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
Perry is well aware that Mr. Heston is not in this movie. He's just trying to get a reaction from me.
Anyway... I finally got this DVD from dvdmepire... very psyched watch it this weekend!
(I'm also psyched to create an Anchor Bay-like keepcase cover for it)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Jack,
Make sure you photoshop Chuck Heston into that cover
wink.gif
. But seriously, will you just be doing a reproduction of WB's or designing your own? Put a scan up when you're done. Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Just thought I would pop back in here to say that I did finally see the 1957 Hammer The Mummy. A friend with a Netflix account rented it for me (rentmydvd.com did not have it) and I watched it the weekend before Halloween. Thanks for the recommendations -- I did really enjoy it!
I also saw The Horror of Dracula on the Sci-Fi channel the same weekend. So I now know who Peter Cushing is -- consider me a convert. :) I will probably buy the Hammer Mummy eventually. One odd thing about the disk, tho -- I could not get the scene selection option to work on my DVD player. Anyone else, have a problem with this?
Deborah
------------------

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Attention Warner! Wake up an release:
TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTOYED
DRACULA A.D. 1972
and the many other Hammer prisoners

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks