What's new

Anyone familiar with Samsung's AllShare?? (1 Viewer)

Overwhelmed

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hello,
I recently moved into my new place and along with the move, I purchased some new goodies. These include:
Pioneer's VSX-1121-K receiver
Samsung's UN55D6900 television
Apple's 32gb (non 3G) Ipad2 (I believe this is DLNA certified, but not 100% sure. Haven't dived into it enough yet), and
Acer's Aspire 5750-6661 laptop
Each one of these items is apparently DLNA certified, yet for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to connect them to one another! My wireless network is currently up and running, with each device connecting to the network without issue. But how do I go on from here?
I tried downloading Samsung's AllShare program on to my new laptop, which for some reason keeps crashing everytime I try opening it (or shortly there after opening). I was able to open the program once, and keep it running without crashing, in about 20 to 30 tries. I keep getting the same "Samsung's AllShare Player Has Stopped Working" message. WHY!? I am running Windows 7 and all of the laptop's spec's meet/exceed Samsung's minimum requirements. Is there a better program to use? Where can I safely download it from?
Next, the one time I was able to run AllShare on my laptop, my TV would not connect to it. I tried opening the AllShare app on the smart tv, and all it ever says is "there is no device connected". Um, connected to what? The laptop would not pick up the TV on the AllShare program either, or my receiver for that matter. The TV would not pick up my receiver or laptop...
How do I go about getting this stuff to work? I predominantly just want to be able to stream music from one to another without such massive headaches. Ideally, I would like to rip my CD's on to my laptop, use iCloud to get them on to my Ipad, and then stream them from my Ipad through my receiver via DLNA methods. The same would more or less apply to vids/pics, although I'm not overly concerned with those at the moment. How would I do this? Is there a better method of doing this? Can anyone pleeeeease help me out?
Many thanks in advance!!

bobby32947

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob W
http://www.samsung.com/global/allshare/pcsw/quickguide.html#blink
Try this website, it should take you through step by step. Also make sure you have all Installation CDs for all media. I have a Samsung 40 in LED and it is connected to Blue Ray DVD Player, Computer, Wii, Cable box, and VCR Player for some older movies.

bobby32947

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob W
Adam, make sure you reinstall Samsung's AllShare on your laptop utilizing the CD that came with your TV.

Overwhelmed

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Well here is the problem....
I don't think my tv came with any CDs.... I've checked all the packaging again and I don't see anything. Now what? :confused:

bobby32947

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob W
Go to your PC's Control Panel, select Network and Sharing Center and open. Double click on 'Network' (the top line showing the link from your PC to your network and to the internet). Make sure your TV shows up in the 'Media Devices' section. If so your connection between your TV and PC is good. Remember that the connection is only valid if the computer is on and you are logged onto your PC. Once you log off or your computer goes to sleep your connection is not valid. If that succeeds then you should be able to utilize your AllShare feature.

Tim Neto

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Neto
Hi.
Bob, you answer the network question, but not the crashing question.
I have AllShare installed on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 server. It was running okay, until a few days ago. It start crashing when running, then eventually would not start. I was getting the same error as Adam is getting.
I have tried re-installing to no avail. I even used CCleaner between re-installs. No good. Between all activity, I would reboot.
The only clue I have to the problem is in the system's application event log. I get two entries each time I try to start the AllShare application. One is the application failure, the other preceeding error is a .NET error. I'm thinking a Microsoft update killed the AllShare installation, as I did receive the April patch Tuesday updates recently.
I tried re-installing the .NET software on the server. No good.
I am tempted to try re-applying Windows 2008 R2 service pack one, to see if I can get AllShare running again.
Barring that, I will try a Windows 7 virtual machine to see if I can get it working again.
Arrgghh... :(
Tim

Tim Neto

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Neto
Hi Adam.
I found a working solution for me. Microsoft has an application compatibility option that worked for me.
Right click on the AllShare icon on your desktop or in your start menu. Choose the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" option. Follow the analysis and take the offered solution. Mine was Windows XP SP2 mode. It worked. I was able to access the AllShare program again. Yippee! :D
Good luck.
Tim

Tim Neto

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Neto
Hi Adam.
I managed to get the AllShare GUI running again.
On the AllShare desktop short cut or start menu short cut, right click and select the "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Allow the trouble shooter to find the right settings for the program. In my case it used Windows XP sp2 settings. I applied it to short cut for all users.
Now the application runs.
TIm

Tim Neto

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Neto
Hi Adam.
I spoke too soon. AllShare seems to be a bust.
I tried it also on a Window 7 and Windows XP sp3 machine. In all cases the application would not consistently start up.
I am now evaluating two other DLNA server applications.
One is Tornado DLNA.
The other is Wild Media Server.
I like the price on the free TDLNA, but at $15 USD, I may go with the Wild product instead.
Well I just ran and finished an initial test of the Wild product. The Wild Media Server is the one to use between the two.
In all, test them yourself before making a decision. But definitely scrap the Samsung AllShare. At least until they fix the application. :confused:
Best of luck to you.
Cheers.
Tim :D

Tim Neto

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Neto
Hi Adam.
I spoke too soon. AllShare seems to be a bust.
I tried it also on a Window 7 and Windows XP sp3 machine. In all cases the application would not consistently start up.
I am now evaluating two other DLNA server applications.
One is Tornado DLNA.
The other is Wild Media Server.
I like the price on the free TDLNA, but at $15 USD, I may go with the Wild product instead.
Well I just ran and finished an initial test of the Wild product. The Wild Media Server is the one to use between the two.
In all, test them yourself before making a decision. But definitely scrap the Samsung AllShare. At least until they fix the application. :confused:
Best of luck to you.
Cheers.
Tim :D

Jonnyhobo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathon Futers
I had a similar problem with XP, I found out my service pack was out of date so I updated to the most current version and it works fine now.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Allshare is really clunky and really just isn't a great way to accomplish a particular goal. There are a zillion other free programs out there that are better at doing the same thing.

I guess that I have a solution for the issue:

I hadf installed Allshare media server software in my main PC (Win 7 Pro 64 bits).
I had a Cisco Linksys router (150 Mbps plus 100 Mbps wired).
The connection of the PC and the router was wired.
Allsahre worked OK
The I changed to a dual band router and installed a Wifi network card in the PC. So I had two network interfaces in the PC.
The Allshare service started to crash continuously.
I tried to use other DLNA servers but they kept crashing.

Then I deactivated the Wireless interface in the PC and the Allshare service started to work OK.
When I reactivated the Wireless card the crashing started again.

Finally I created a network bridge between the two network interfaces in the PC (the wired and the wireless) so the Allshare server could only see one interface.

So far the Allshare server has been working flawlessly for a couple of days.

I´m using the DHCP of the router for all the devices connected to my home network, which include Ipods, Ipads an other three PCs with Win 7. So far it has worked OK.

My idea is that the issue is related to having more than one network interface in the Allshare server, so the service does not know which one to use. After the interfaces had been bridged, the Allshare service only saw one network interface and the problem seems to be gone.
Any additional comments would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks