What's new

Anyone experiencing Netflix problems? (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with Netflix as of late?

I've been with them for many years now & it looks like their popularity has hindered their service. I live about 5 miles or so from their Chicagoland shipping hub & up until the past month my turnaround was anywhere to 1 to 3 days. Now it takes in excess of 1 week. :angry: I've also noticed them checking in titles I've returned but holding shipment for 1 to 2 days later of my next title.

Another member pointed out a blurb (which must be a fairly recent addition) on the Netflix Help page

This is not the service that they promise in their advertisements. Rent as many titles as you can a month is what they used to promise. What they seem to be doing is penalizing me for getting to many titles in a month. Not surprisingly, I don't see any mention of this practice when they try to entice new members into signing up. :thumbsdown:

I'm getting close to giving up & dropping this service which is a shame. It was fantastic when it worked but now I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.

Anyone else having problems?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been singing their praises for 21 days now, since I just became a member on February 1st. I've gotten lightning service and incredibly quick turnaround, renting something like 12 titles already.

But this news is not very comforting, and I've already suspected that my most recent order was delayed slightly more than the first few were! I really hope they're not holding back on discs when they feel you're getting too many movies for your money!!

Waiting a week? That's unacceptable -- but the only thing you can do then is be damn sure you're getting 3 (I have the 3 at a time plan) and then you can at least hope for 12 per month, which is still a good value.

EDITED TO ADD: Hmmm -- there's another Netflix thread here (Netflix vs. Blockbuster) and it sounds like Netflix is still pretty fast according to other people.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
It is an annoying policy for us movie fanatics, and it's not cool for them not to be more up front about it. But I could live with the occasional one-day delay, if that eventually kicks in at some point (I just signed up less than two weeks ago). But a week-long wait is way beyond unacceptable.

Jim, are you on the standard 3-at-a-time plan?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've received 21 titles in around a month. The first shipment took around 3 days for me to get but since then I've gotten everything a day after shipment. On Friday I got a shipping notice that said the titles would show up today but I got them on Saturday. It's been that way since that first shipment.

I originally signed up for the 3 out at a time but upgraded to the 5 at a time.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have been on the 5/time plan for about six months. If I send back a movie on Monday, they have it posted as received and a new title shipped on Tuesday by noon and I usually have the shipped movie in my mail on Thursday, Friday at the latest. I generally average between 15-20 movies a month.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have the 3-at-a-time plan, but I have a question. I seem to get the new titles fast whenever I send all three back at the same time. If you send only 1 completed disc back while you still have 2 unwatched at home, do they send you 1 for 1, or do they wait till you've sent all 3 back before sending more (3 for 3)?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

They send 1 for 1. I am on 5/time, and I got Saw in the mail today, have three sitting here already, and another on the way back to Netflix.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I am now dealing with idiotic customer service people. Howard's End has a new 2-disc Home Vision release that came out in the last month or so, and an old 1-disc Columbia release. Netflix is offering the 2nd bonus disc from the HV release, but they still picture the old Columbia disc for the movie itself. So I e-mailed Customer Service to see whether the movie disc is from the new or old release. These morons have e-mailed me back twice, two different people, without answering my damn question!

More generally speaking, Netflix doesn't seem so great about replacing older releases with new SEs, or better versions (like when Criterion puts out a version of something that's been released by someone else earlier).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's my latest good experience with Netflix: I returned Alien vs. Predator on Monday, I have Exorcist: The Beginning on the way...and that was released today!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, here I am in my second month with Netflix and they're already starting to drag their feet in sending me my rentals. February was sensational -- I rented about 15 films, and as soon as I mailed them back I received the next bunch in a heartbeat. BUT NOW...

I sent one film back on February 28th. They received it March 1st (the next day). Now I've been waiting for the next rental and it's March 3rd. My account says the next film is "due on March 7th"!!

I got so annoyed that I called customer service. I told them how it was very odd that I received all my movies VERY quickly all during February, and that I rented something like 15, but now in March they seem to recognize me as a "big renter" and therefore seem to be spacing their shipments out, letting me have fewer per month. The woman I spoke to said that, although I'm located in New York, the next disc I'm waiting on is being sent all the way from California. She told me that discs are shipped from all over the U.S. - California, Arizona, New York, wherever -- but I was of the understanding that all the DVDs were always pretty much shipped from the same location right close to where you live?

I just notice a definite decline in service and speed, now that they sucked me in as a member and they can see I'm a losing investment for them because I rent too many movies each month.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Joe:

Where did you see this:

I have been a member for years and never seen a date listed as to when the next movie ships, other than possibly "We will ship your next movie tomorrow". Was this listed in the Queue? or somewhere else?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Eric - there is an estimated "time of arrival." which is what I was referring to. Yes - it was in the Queue. Says they received the last one back on March 1, and that I should see the next arrive on March 7.

Since you've been a member for years, how does it work for you? Speedy/slow...?

danak

Second Unit
Joe,
Sometimes they will send you a disc from a different distribution center if the closest one doesn't have the disc available for you. It means you have to wait a little longer but at least you'll get it. They do this to me sometimes, but usually it's pretty speedy. And the estimated date of arrival is simply an estimate. If the mail system is going well, the disc will arrive sooner. Since you say you are only in your second month, hang in there for six months to a year and see how it goes on average. Glitches do happen from time to time, but it smooths out long term

Dana

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I will certainly stick it out... but it just seems strange that they were so fast and consistent all during February; send three movies back on Monday, receive three more by Wednesday ...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Joe:

Check out post #11. I received Exorcist: The Beginning on Wed. That's one day after street date. Looking at my queue, it states that I should receive it by 3/4/05...so I got it two days before they said I should expect it. My guess is that whatever DVD you have coming by the 7th is coming from another distribution center. The majority of your DVDs will come from the closest DC, but occasionally they will ship one from another DC since it is at the top of your queue.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Last week was a slow week for me. It took them 2 days to receive the disc(s) I sent back when it usually only took 1 day. It also took 2 days for the disc(s) to reach me when it usually just took one.

However, this week has been back to normal. On Sat. I mailed back 3 discs, which they got on Monday and they shipped me three movies on Monday, including one that was being released on Tuesday. I got those titles in on Tuesday and had them in the mail on Wednesday. They received the titles today and shipped my new discs today.

Perhaps they were just having a slow week. Either way, I really can't complain except now I have way too many movies to watch with Netflix, DVD-R, TCM and new buys. :D

danak

Second Unit
Michael,
Last week and this week had some bad weather so maybe the mail got slowed down because of that. Netflix seemed really slow for me the first week or so of February

Dana

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Oh, come on. This is ridiculous. I still haven't received my next movie today (Friday) after mailing the other one early Monday morning! This is pathetic, and Netflix had better shape up or else I'm shipping out. This is totally unacceptable and it's bogus and false advertising. Ordinarily I would have gotten a disc in the mail by Wednesday after mailing the first back on a Monday. It's a scam.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure I'd call 15 rentals a month for $18 a scam even if you have to wait an extra day or two.

Does your account say when the movie was mailed? Also, where are your movies shipping from?

To add onto my last post, two movies shipped on Thursday and they both arrived on Friday. Everything seems back to normal after that one slow week. As Dana said, weather was bad plus you had a Holiday on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks