What's new

Anyone ever try E-Harmony.com? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just took the survey after seeing the commercial, and lo and behold I find out it's a pay service. Didn't notice that part of the commercial after a ten minute survey :).

Just wondering if anyone has tried it before and what your experience was like before I even think about signing up for payment.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've done plenty of e-dating sites including E-Harmony. Went through their 500 some odd questions, you know, to get the real me. ;) Sent it out, and in my area it said zero compatibilities. Umm ok, so widened my search to all of the US. Zero matches again. Getting a little confused so open it up to all on this green earth. ZERO. I let it sit for a month and got an email saying that my account was being closed due to no matches!! Talk about a low blow...I of course now flip off that dude in the commercials whenever he comes on.

Personally I like a site like Match.com. I've had luck on there, it's cheap(er) to contact someone and putting up a profile is free. Actually know two people that have gotten married through it. YMMV. :D

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I have a friend (seriously, I'm married) who tried that site about 6 months ago and had a very similar experience to Jason's....One match, and the woman didn't show up at their arranged first meet for coffee. No other matches, ever.

It makes you wonder about their so called personality test, and the size of their paid membership.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
As an industrial/organizational psychologist (in training), I am highly skeptical of the personality instrumentation utilized on that site. Long story short - it is an extremely tedious process to develop a quality personality measure, and very few currently used inventories are actually good ones. I would love to see the statistical properties of the tool and the research performed to develop it. Given what I know about test/inventory development, I am highly skeptical of their offerings. After all, the competitive advantage of that site is the "empirical basis" of their matches.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I had the same experience as Jason and actually read his story before trying eHarmony, so I didn't take it as a blow when there were no matches. If the company doesn't find a match according to its parameters, then refusing is in their interest as it keeps their success rate up.

Having gone through other personality instruments, I usually come out pretty even across multiple areas. Usually that means I'm labeled as "hard to read." So I'm not surprised I don't fit neatly into eHarmony's categories, which I'm guessing are pretty similar to most other personality instruments.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just signed up for the three day free trial at Match.com and I got the same story you guys did. Zero matches according to the personality trait search. I even tried modifying it. The only other option is to search for people in and around town, but that's a longer process, heh.

Plus, when they see my picture, they might just go running :).

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Never tried the e-dating thing. But it sounds like women don't care to much for HTF guys.:D

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
IMO, these services primarily work because they ease people into a relationship via limited internet contact (vs the larger step of cold calling a phone number in someone's personal ad). The 'matchmaking' is so-so at best...

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I tried Match for about 6-8 months with mixed success. The personality and physical attraction profiling wasn't very accurate. It picked up some of my traits, but was dead wrong on others. I just turned those filters off and made my own searches. I made a couple "fine-tuned" searches and then after shopping for "fresh meat" with those, I'd go into my broader search. In the broad range search, I'd only constrain by age and females looking for males. The best way to get what you're looking for is to start with one of those methods of searching and then peruse pictures and the actual written portion of their profiles.

FYI -- you can join match for free and post a profile, but you will only be able to send/recieve "winks". You won't be able to email anyone.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
My experience on eHarmony was quite a bit different. I had previously used Match.com and (at least in the Boston area) was completely underwhelmed. I'd rate the quality of the matches and the type of people I met as barely above what I'd find in a singles bar.

eHarmony was quite different. I recieved quite a few matches and went on dates with a number of women who were very compatible with me. It might depend on your area, but it could also depend on your search criteria. A common problem I've heard of is setting your search radius too low.

Oh, and I met my fiancée there too. We're getting married in June. We both know that we would likely have never met otherwise and there's no question that both of us have never been with someone so compatible.

Pretty much everyone we've recommended it to has had good luck as well. A friend just got engaged to someone he met there and my fiancée's step brother is seriously dating someone he met on eHarmony.

Like anything, you have to work at it. I did and I couldn't be happier. I'd recommend it to anyone who's serious about finding a mate.

-greg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Greg, that's pretty cool. Having met you and your fiancee last year at the Meet, it's nice to know that bit of trivia about how you met.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I placed an ad on Yahoo personals about a year and a half ago, and due to that ad I've been living with a wonderful girl for 8 months now...and she likes HT :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Since I signed up, I've now sent messages to 4 ladies, and have three more bookmarked in case the first 4 don't repond.. Definetly interesting to see all the different types of people that come up in these matches, some matching my profiles, some not.

I just found out a little person(?) from the UK viewed my profile today. Definetly going to be an interesting ride, this internet dating thing...

At the very least it could be a fun way to expand my female friend list and find someone new to do stuff with :).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I've been doing the internet dating thing for about a year and a half, it's so much fun, just don't take it too seriously. I think this is where alot of people expect way too much from it.Most of those end up being very disappointed. Personally, being the bachelor I am, I'm enjoying going out with alot of hot,sexy,spontaneous women who aren't looking for anything serious, they just want to go out with hot guys for fun.From what I've heard from alot of the women I've asked about E-Harmony, most of them have been disappointed with it too,takes forever to get through the questionaires,then they can't find any attractive men that they like. Webdate is free, Hotornot is very reasonable. Who needs clubs and bars anymore,lol?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
bah! yahoo chat rooms are the way to go. Got a thing for Pregnant Jewish vegetarians that listen to Metallica? Theres a chatroom for those. Bodybuilding asian foot fetish-models that build RC airplanes? Well hell, just try to fend them off with a stick. Redhead Dungeons&Dragons nerds with 10,000 Maniacs lyrics tattooed on her ass? Well, you'll need a +3 stick to beat them off.

Seriously, if tattoos, body piercings, or sexual fetishes are your thing, go straigh to the chatrooms... E*Date doesnt want you

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
THere definetly seem to be better choices on Yahoo Personals....or at least more ladies that meet my 'look' that I'm looking for.

I have to refine my search to look for someone who's interested in computers and home theater though :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks