What's new

Anyone ever heard of Reel Acoustics sub? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I was auditioning a set of Paradigm Monitor 5s w/cc-370 centre with 2 and multi-channel music. Curiously enough, the dealer had them working in conjunction with Reel Acoustics 10" sub (don't remember the model no.) I asked him why not with one of the Paradigm subs and he told me the Reel was a better musical fit with the Monitor 5s. It sounded quite nice to me, not bloated or too aggressive. Not a floorshaking experience, (didn't use it with a DVD movie) but quite musical. I must point out two things.

1. I prefer clean, accurate bass to boomy thumping. I may be in the minority but I'm not seeking to be thrown out of chair.

2. I have very little experience with subs (other than my basic, non adjustable [except amp. gain] H/K sub in my current set-up).

I realize there are some killer subs out there, most likely better than this one, even at its price point of 450$ Canadian. I'm not restricted to this price point (have about 200-300 to spare) nor am I committed to this product. I did like it, though. Does anyone know anything about it? A google search is unrevealing.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
That should be Rel Acoustics. I didn't think Rel had anything that inexpensive. Sure it wasn't $1450? If it was labeled REEL Acoustics or $450 new I'd stay away from it and the dealer that is trying to pull one over.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It is Reel Acoustics, and I know it sounds a bit suspicious. However, the store is very well respected in Montreal http://www.laytonaudio.ca/index.asp

I don't know why the manager would steer me to something sub-optimal as my budget doesn't require it and he has a wide variety of products on offer. I do know that Reel is a Canadian company and perhaps he's trying to help out a local or friend. If so, as long as there's nothing wrong with the product, I have no problem with it. My only concern would be reliability.

I presume you mean stay away if the REL Acoustic is 450$ new (implying that it's stolen goods).

Tangentially, would you have any recommendations in the 400-600$ US range for subs, keeping in mind my original criteria? My room will likely be 16x12x7 or so. Thanks.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Didn't mean to imply stolen but possibly a counterfeit product.

I'm really against companies that try to cash in on someone else's name and reputation. There is almost no way to convince me that they aren't trying to use and profit from Rel Acoustics v. Reel Acoustics confusion. Maybe if the company's owner last name is Reel but still using a name that is one letter off from a well known and respected sub company doesn't seem kosher even in that case.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Have you looked at the specs on the Reel 10"? No LFE input, no phase switch, spring clips, only goes down to 33hz, and no mention of +-dBs for distortion level. Maybe he thinks he has to get the package under a certain price to make the sale to you or he owns a piece of the company.

Audio salespeople are salespeople and like most salespeople some are outstanding and willing to teach and others are more interested in maxing out their profit/spiff on the deal.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What is you price range? Hsu Research has picked up a Canadian distributor. I don't know how soon they will be availible in Canada. Also check out the Canadian company Creative Sound they carry Adire subs and thier own subs and sub kits.

EDIT- there also is a large thread at AVS on subs availible in Canada from last week

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Perhaps you're right. He didn't seem underhanded, no pressure to buy that minute, works for a reputable store, etc. But maybe he owns shares in the sub company. Having searched further, I am a bit dismayed at the lack of info/reviews (the specs are uninspiring as well). Thanks for the info and links. Things were a lot simpler back in the days of two channel.:wink:

I'm stationed in Ohio for the next 4-6 months. Any recommendations re: SVS, Outlaw LFM-1 or other online products? I can avoid all the border shipping hassles while I'm down here.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Both of those products have a good rep. I own a Hsu sub. There are other good subs availible too. Read here and on avsforum.com too. Sub threads tend to end up as pissing contests unfortunately.

I'm going to leave up to you to sort thru which is best for you. If you do get one of the consumer direct subs ask about repair/support back in Canada. It would be an expensive b***h to ship one back for repair.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
PaulDA, its good to see another Quebecer from the Montreal region on the forum!

As for Layton Audio being a reputable company, I'd be willing to argue that. I'd avoid buying anything from them and I'd go as far as to say that the REEL sub they are trying to sell is probably a counterfeit.

Instead, I recommend you check out La Centrale Audio/Video in Lachine, they have some killer Paradigm subs. While you're at it, drop-by Stereo Plus in Ste-Eustache: awesome service and they have a kick-a$$ Paradigm PW2200 monster sub. I bought my Yamaha receiver from Stereo Plus and auditioned it with Paradigm Monitors and the aforementioned Paradigm sub.

I, like you, was in the US in December (Los Angeles) and bought myself an HSU STF-2 from CompUSA for $349. Its a great sub, so if you get a chance, try to pass by a CompUSA and see if you can check it out; I believe they are selling for $399 now. If you plan to come back to Montreal without a sub, I'd be glad to let you audition my HSU-equipped HT and then maybe you could order it online.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
MuneebM,

Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm leaning towards the PS-1000. Been winnowing speaker choices for a while and I've reached the final list, I think (my wife sure hopes so).

If the price is right, either Paradigm Studio 20s front and rear, CC-470 and PS-1000 or Boston Acoustic VR-M50s front and back, VR-MX centre and PV700 or PS-1000.
Either one of these sets is a toss up for me, will come down to price.

If neither of the above is affordable, then my fallback (and it's a good one, I think) is Paradigm Monitor 5s front and rear, CC-370 and PS-1000. I like the somewhat greater detail and imaging of the above sets, but only if the premium isn't too high. If I go with either Paradigm, it'll be back in Montreal as prices are better in Canada. The Bostons are cheaper here.

Again, thanks for the offer to audition your sub. BTW, the Lasalle store replaced my stolen TV and computer and I was quite satisfied with their service. I didn't notice they had Paradigm. I'll check them out.

P.S. I don't want to spread unwarranted rumours but did you have a bad experience with Layton? Years ago I bought some audio gear there and at the time they were a bit snobbish, but this time they seemed ok.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
PaulDA, no I haven't had any terribly bad experiences at Layton, but everytime I went there the customer service was pretty awful. I've also heard some horror stories about their after-sales service from some friends.

I really like your choice of speakers; they would've been what I would've bought if I didn't get such a good deal on the JBL Studio stuff. La Centrale Audio/Video in Lachine definitely carries the Paradigm Studios, so you should go there for sure. Which receiver will you be using to power the Paradigms? FWIW, La Centrale carries Yamaha and H/K if you're interested. I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-V2400, especially considering its price in Canada: La Centrale offered it to me for $1120, but I ended up getting it from Stereo Plus.

Good luck!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've just purchased an Arcam AVR200. I went with Arcam as my system will be 60-70% music. Do you remember what price you were quoted on the Monitors or Studios (if you got that far)?

Right now, Layton is offering me the four Monitor 5s plus the CC-370 for 1500$Cdn plus tax. (Retail 1850$ plus tax) Didn't get a price on the PS-1000 yet. (Retails in Ohio at 550$US)

Norm2006

Auditioning
Real Name
Norman
Guys, guys, guys!

You need to do your homework, before you spread rumours.
ReeL Acoustics subs are legit!
The canadian distributor is Korbon Trading.
They also distribute Quad and Wharfedale to name a few.

And as far as Layton Audio is concerned, I've been dealing with them for 15 years now, and my dad has dealt with them for the last 38 years.
They are extremely professional and service oriented, we have refered hundreds of people over the years.

Now this info is accurate for those who care!

Norm

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Norm2006,

Not to question your honesty, but your only post is the one above defending Layton. Not that I care really, just makes me a little ????????

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What little I found on Reel didn't impress me. Seemingly cheaper construction and limited info or specs. They almost look like "white van" to me. The Paradigm PS-1000 on the other hand isn't the best sub for the price. I bought a used one for $100 and I had it for about a month and got a M&K and the PS-1000 was not very quick in comparison. This is largely due to the Band pass enclosure, which is designed to increase bass output. It is very boomy though. The boominess can be rendered by in effect plugging the top two reflex ports, results in more accurate deeper bass with a decrease in overall output. After that mod you may discover some leaks in the cabinet that need resealed, though there may be no leaks. The PS-1000 will do a descent job in a smaller living room after the modifications. SVS and HSU are some subs you should look into, really good "bang for buck".

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Norm this thread was over2 years dead. Digging up a thread that old is called necrophilia, and considered poor form, in the on-line world.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Crap I completely missed that. Cannot beleive this. That guy probably bought a sub or two by the time we started posting again. The question is why would Norman go dig up some fossil, and post that.

Bagel

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I was auditioning a set of Paradigm Monitor 5s w/cc-370 centre with 2 and multi-channel music. Curiously enough, the dealer had them working in conjunction with Reel Acoustics 10" sub (don't remember the model no.) I asked him why not with one of the Paradigm subs and he told me the Reel was a better musical fit with the Monitor 5s. It sounded quite nice to me, not bloated or too aggressive. Not a floorshaking experience, (didn't use it with a DVD movie) but quite musical. I must point out two things.

1. I prefer clean, accurate bass to boomy thumping. I may be in the minority but I'm not seeking to be thrown out of chair.

2. I have very little experience with subs (other than my basic, non adjustable [except amp. gain] H/K sub in my current set-up).

I realize there are some killer subs out there, most likely better than this one, even at its price point of 450$ Canadian. I'm not restricted to this price point (have about 200-300 to spare) nor am I committed to this product. I did like it, though. Does anyone know anything about it? A google search is unrevealing.

Yes I do, I bought mine new in 2002. Its a 12" powered Sub at 180 Watts meaning it doesn't require the power of your system. I have had NO problems at all with it! Enjoy if you did buy it!
Bagel :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks