What's new

Anyone ever built wooden shelves for their metal rack (Middle Atlantic)? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
Well, I got the rack framed in this weekend. I kinda screwed up when assembling the rack, and put on the base of the rack backwards, but oh well. :) It's purely asthetic, and I think the molding I'll eventually install around the rack with mask it. Hopefully, I won't be taking it apart and fixing it in the future.
I'm not sure how I'm going to cover the sides yet, though. I will probably either have to get the custom faceplates or the shelves with the full sides on them. I suppose I could also put up some painted MDF, as I mentioned before, but due to the 2x6's that frame around it, that could prove somewhat difficult.
I'll get some pics up some time this week. I was worried about the rack looking huge, considering how tall it is, but it really looks about right. I can't wait until I can put my components in it. :D

Jason Price

Second Unit
For anyone interested, here is a couple pics of my framed in rack and the access area for it. Click on the thumbnails for larger versions.
rack2.jpg

rack_access-1a.jpg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jason, looks like an ideal installation with plenty of rear access. Keep us posted. I got my 54" version with casters assembled and am ready to design some side walls to veneer.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jason, looks very nice! You know, until I read this post, I never really thought about the fact that light could leak into the room through a mounted in-wall equipment rack. Now I finally see a good reason for the custom faceplates, though I don't know that I want to spend the money for them.
I see some of you are considering MDF for the sides of your rack. Do any of you think light could spill into the HT from the rear of the equipment rack, and if so, how can the light be blocked in the absence of faceplates?

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
We have oak everywhere in our house so I ordered the oak panels:
Link Removed
These panels are special order at most of the other popular suppliers mentioned in this forum.
I don't have the time right now to build my own panels. I saw these side panels at a friends house and I was impressed by the fit and finish.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Guys,
I've been to Markertek's site and am getting confused by all the rack options. If I want to buy a rack that eventually will be mounted into a wall, like Jason is doing, what do I actually need to buy? (the rack, some shelves, what else?) I am not going to pay these outrageous prices for faceplates, so in addition to MDF or side panels, what do I need to purchase to keep light from leaking out above and below the components? Are faceplates the only option?
Thanks!

Brandon B

Second Unit
If its actually going into a wall, don't forget to put it on wheels so you can pull it out to do connections and stuff. This adds a few inches to the height and determines which rack to get.

BB

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Brandon, it would likely be accessible from an equipment room behind the wall, so I'm not sure if that changes the type of rack I'd need to get. Thoughts? If I wanted to buy the appropriate rack, could I use it "out in the open" now, until I'm ready to install it in a wall?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I got my Mid-Atlantic rack in Dec. 98. For a long time everything in there was pretty static. Now, I got a new DVD player, a new receiver, and an SACD player. So I call to find out how much the new faceplates will be. Well at first I was quoted about $170 for the Denon 5800, $120 for the SACD player, and around $130 for the JVC DVD player. OUCH! The funny thing is that the rep from the store I called had called me back with "new prices" which were half the original quotes! I ordered them, and he called me back withing 5 minutes to say that he gave me the wrong numbers. So...what does this mean? $85 for the Denon instead of $170 means that my store's marking it up 100%, and who knows how much Middle-Atlantic is marking it up.

So where does that leave me? The Denon's heavy as hell so I felt I had to get that rack. The hole for my Panny A110 works well with the JVC. The Sony SACD player's in my old Lexicon's rack. The width is covered, but not the height, almost the same problem with the JVC.

The cost for these shelves is very expensive. Is there a competing company that makes these out of a high-grade plastic? I go change DVD players like people change their underwear and I can't afford $130 every time I want to change the faceplate. Also, there's no faceplate "trade-in" program.

I love the rack, but there has to be an alternative for those of us that don't drive Dodge Vipers.

Mike

Brandon B

Second Unit
Scott -
If you have access to rear of the rack without moving it, you don't need wheels. I have a Slim 5 that is in a narrow closet. To redo any connections, I have to roll it out of the closet and go behind it.
Mike G -
Do you require that the components be mounted by their face plates? Or can they sit on a shelf? You can get shelves good up to 50 lbs for as little as $30 (see markertek link in this thread above).
I have not seen plastic shelves. Other option, I have seen used ones on ebay, or try other sources for used ones.
BB

Clay M

Agent
Anyone know if the ERK series rack from Middle Atlantic can use those shelves mentioned above? I would post a link, but I'm not allowed to yet as per board rules.

Jared Neumann

Stunt Coordinator
Jason

I agree that the mid atlantic rack are super expensive, I thought the prices were crazy to, until I just decided to get one and can say that it looks incredable. If you have the cash go with the mid atlantic, you wont regret it

Jared

Jason Price

Second Unit
Wow, this thread just will not die. 2 years and 3 months, and it's still going. Gotta love that. :)
You know what's even more sad? I just started the HVAC work in my basement today. A near 2-year construction layoff. Yikes... :frowning:
Anyone found any cheaper shelves in the last 2 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks