What's new

Anyone else turned off of certain actors because of personal preferences? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much agree about Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler. Sandler isn't funny at all, and Ferrell...there's no there there, as far as I'm concerned. Jim Carrey is just annoying sometimes. Matthew McConaughey is someone I find to be dull, dull dull, even though he seems like a decent actor and nice guy.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Bob_S. said:
Owen Wilson- Every movie I try to watch with him in I find myself staring at his nose. With all the money he has, can't he get that thing fixed?
I kind of like that he's left his nose alone even though he could be really pretty with a "fixed" one (and some chapstick). It might change his very unique voice, though. (Kind of like how Barbra Streisand was afraid it would affect her voice.)

While I have actors I dislike, I can't think of anyone that would keep me away from an otherwise interesting film. Shia LaBeouf, Kristen Stewart, Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert Pattinson are not favorites (but Pattinson was terrific in "The Rover"!!), but I would see their films for other reasons.

Some actors I would see in virtually anything are Guy Pearce, Christian Bale, Jason Statham.

I used to strongly dislike Nicolas Cage back in the 80's as I found his voice and mannerisms peculiar. By the time "Con Air" rolled around, I rather liked him. Now, I still think he's OK, though his films haven't interested me lately. I also did a turnaround on Mark Ruffalo. I found him really bland in "You Can Count on Me", but he was amazing in "Zodiac" and I really enjoy him now.

I'm more likely to stay away from a film because of the content. I don't like certain kinds of violence, especially involving knives or swords. I'm always sad when an actor I like makes a film I really don't want to see for these reasons. Love Charlotte Gainsbourg and Willem Dafoe but won't see "Antichrist", for example.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
After reading your penultimate paragraph, I was going to recommend Drive Angry, but after your last paragraph, never mind! :)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I used to hate to see DiCaprio in anything and it drove me nuts that Scorsese insisted on casting him in everything and then Nolan with INCEPTION. But then Tarantino cast him as a bad guy in DJANGO UNCHAINED and although he was miscast (the character should have been much older than DiCaprio), I was very impressed with his performance. He played a bad guy very well. Kind of like the reaction I had when Tom Cruise played a bad guy in COLLATERAL.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Aaron Silverman said:
After reading your penultimate paragraph, I was going to recommend Drive Angry, but after your last paragraph, never mind! :)
I actually have this but I haven't seen this yet. I like William Fichtner. Now I'm scared. . . :P

I do watch some pretty brutal TV, like "Sons of Anarchy". I figure it can't be that bad on TV, but FX takes it pretty far.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Elizabeth S said:
I actually have this but I haven't seen this yet. I like William Fichtner. Now I'm scared. . . :P
It's pretty good native 3D, i'd recommend a watch but only if you have that version.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much skip any movie that J-Lo appears in (since "The Cell"). It was tough slogging through her seasons of American Idol of recent years, though...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Elizabeth S said:

I do watch some pretty brutal TV, like "Sons of Anarchy". I figure it can't be that bad on TV, but FX takes it pretty far.
Drive Angry is extremely trashy and disgusting. But I normally hate exploitation films, and I loved it. It doesn't take itself seriously for a moment, and it's very entertaining. Most exploitation films aspire to that, but fail miserably IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks