Anyone else tried Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shane Martin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is fairly new stuff. I just bought a 2 liter of it to try and it's not all that great. It's not Dr Pepper. It's not even Vanillaish. It has a hint of cherry but not much.

Overall it's rather bleh.

Anyone else tried it?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I noticed this at the grocery store on Saturday. It struck fear into my heart...

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

One of my co-workers brought a can in with them. Blasphemy! It looks like a china-town ripoff of Dr. Pepper! Don't mess with the original!

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Back in high-school there was a diner that served real fountain drinks with syrups added. I enjoyed chocolate-cherry root beer. I remember others liked a vanilla Sprite.

But I can't stand Dr. Pepper (carbonated prune juice, blech). So I'm not tempted to try some further perversion of that basic flavor [​IMG]

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I saw this for the first time on Saturday. I thought about trying it, but the store only had a 12-pack of the stuff. If I can find an individual bottle I'll probably buy it. I'm curious what people think of it.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

So far I'm not enjoying it. I do like Dr Pepper and this ain't it. Oh well I only spent a buck but It may grow on me who knows.
    This is what Sonic Drive in is doing and its very good as far as variety. Coke with Cherry in it blows away "Cherry Coke" that Coke distributes.

7. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I recently tried the new Black (?) Mountain Dew and cannot stand it. In fact, the only "new" type of soda I like is the Code Red Mountain Dew. Don't even get me started on Clear Pepsi [​IMG]

8. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

You mean Crystal Pepsi [​IMG]

what about 7up Plus, everytime I hear the name I think of Alex and his Droogs drinking Milk Plus

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Actually, I really enjoyed the 7up-ish Dr. Pepper variety, though its name escapes me. It had "red" in the title.

10. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

I am always disappointed with "flavored" name-brand soft drinks. Leave the originals alone! If I want a Cherry Coke, I'll make my own, thank you very much. Prepackaged Cherry Coke is horrible while real Cherry Coke is great. The same goes for Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Dr. Pepper, Cherry Pepsi, Vanilla Pepsi, etc.

It's not hard to make your own. You can find flavored syrups in any supermarket (usually near the coffee area) and all you do is add the desired amount of syrup to your favorite soft drink.

I've never tried making a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, but now I must satisfy my curiosity. For one thing, I know it will be many times better than this new prepackaged version.

The thing I hate about when a new prepackaged flavored cola comes around (like Vanilla Coke) is it gives a bad name to the real thing. (Pun intended)

-Mike

11. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    The orange Mtn. Dew is good too.

Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper sounds putrid...but, what the heck, I'll TRY it.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

A variation of Dr. Pepper? I'm all over it! I'll keep an eye out for it.

13. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Costco sells a 24 pk of Kerns "all nectar" juices (including mango, apricot, guava, and peach). I've been combining these in equal parts with cans of Mt. Dew or Orance Slice. Mmmmmm, fruity.

One time I combined the mango with a can of Dr. Pepper and it tasted like a Tootsie Roll that someone had regurgitated. This is what I imagine cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper must taste like. No thanks.

Brad

14. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

They tried to launch regular Dr. Pepper over here a few years ago but it failed miserably and was taken off the shelves. Quite a shame because I loved the stuff.

15. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I stopped drinking soda a while back, but every now and then a nice Dr. Pepper hits the spot. Maybe I'll break down and try the new variety. Has anyone seen it in New England/NYC yet?

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

This is becoming more prevalent. Stores are denying you the choice of buying less than a 12-pack. The Kroger I shop in has only a few six-packs and they're not brands I want to buy.

When I was growing up in the 50's, the standard serving size was 8oz (remember the classic coke bottle). Then the soft drink companies decided for us that we "wanted" more.

I now find myself drinking all the soda in a can, but the last few swallows I really don't want, but I've paid for them.