What's new

Anyone else sick of hearing that same voice in so many movie trailers...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That deep, over-the-top voice that narrates about 70% of all movie trailers (and I think he's now doing some CNN as well) makes me want to run out for a bathroom break. I am so tired of the way he breaks every sentence into three or four melodramatic phrases and uses the same inflections for every one of them. Who IS that guy? I know he's paid very handsomely, but I can't figure the attraction. Variety is the spice of life. Let someone ELSE do these trailers... and why not females for a change?

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Actually there is a female voice that does some of commercials and she sounds just as bad as this guy that does all these trailers. IMO both voices sound terrible.
-Keith-

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
"In a world..."
tongue.gif

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
IMO both voices sound terrible.
Thankfully for the movie trailer guy you must be in the minority with that opinion. After all his voice must sound appealing to the right people because he wouldn't be getting the work solely based on cadence.
------------------

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You know, you would have thought that when Janeane Garofalo made a big joke of this, that someone in the business might have taken notice that this trailer format was becoming a bit of a joke to all.
Almost 10 years later and nothing has changed.
I think trailers that DON'T follow this format or use that guy in particular (actually there are 2 aren't there), stand out much more.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's not the voices I dislike, but the cheesy scripts, as Alex and Ace have already alluded to. The one which has me trying to puncture my eardrums with the drinks straw is the generic one for a kids' movie with superlatives piled one on top of the other ('the zaniest, laughingest movie this year', etc). Nobody has the excuse to say lines like that unless they are seriously mentally ill. Actually, you don't encounter this sort of trailer all that much these days, but every once in a while, just when your guard is down...
In addition to 'one man' and 'in a world', there's also:
'In an age of ...'
'[Insert name of lead character] was an ordinary [insert occupation] until the day ...'
'Ever wondered ...' [the answer's 'no', usually]
'Once in a lifetime ...'
high up in the cliche stakes. Oh yes, and why do they keep using the Who's 'Teenage Wasteland' as background music?
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on October 29, 2001 at 12:51 PM]

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I actually like the voice and the scripts. I guess I just like cheesiness.

Say, has anyone heard of a comedian named Pablo Francisco? He does an excellent immitation of this guy/these two guys (whatever). He immitates the voice perfectly, and goes even more over the top with his trailer parodies, and the overall effect is pretty damn funny.
http://www.pablofrancisco.com/

------------------
-Justin
Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
On , prepare to be...
The must-see movie of the year...
If you go see just one movie...
She's about to have her world turned upside down...
Rolling Stone calls it...
The feel-good movie of the year...
whenever a movie studio logo appears (at the start of every commercial break, it's always a trailer now!!) I switch channels in hopes of finding anything but a film trailer, even QVC.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
This [insert season] you WILL believe...
[Edited last by Jehan on October 29, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

Shad R

Supporting Actor
IN A WORLD, WHERE EVER MOVIE TRAILER....STARTS WITH THE WORDS "IN A WORLD"...AND FOLLOWED BY QUICK FLASHES OF THE MOVIE...THEN FOLLOWED BY "ONE MAN, ONE DREAM, ONE DESTINY...THIS WINTER, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE...THE UNBELEIVABLE...(INSERT LOUD NOISE AND TITLE OF MOVIE)

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I remember some pretty funny commercials this guy did, and I think it was for Blockbuster. A guy goes up to the counter and asks the clerk about a movie he wants to rent, then you hear "Trailer-man" do his thing. Next thing you know the camera pans out and he's actually standing next to the clerk behind the counter talking over his shoulder. Both guys look puzzled. It had me laughing for awhile.
~Crowe~

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I'd like to have that guy's job doing the trailer voice-overs...and I've been told I've got the deep octave range for it too (but I don't speak with overdone inflections and cheesy narratives like that unless I'm trying to be an arse- on purpose!
drool.gif
)
------------------
-Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks