What's new

Anyone else partial to female vocalists? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just realized I prefer to listen to female vocalists rather than male. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
I enjoy Bjork, Frente, Shannon Curfman (sp?), Cibo Matto and other bands with female lead singers.
I think it's because I feel that the singer is singing to me rather than expressing something I am feeling. And I guess I prefer women singing to me over guys.
Not that I don't listen to guy singers.. I enjoy my Paolo Conte, Jimmy Buffet, John Hiatt, Buddy Guy...
It's just when I am putting together a compilation to listen to in the car... I tend to put more female singers than male on there.
Does anyone else do this?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I much prefer female singers to male ones. I think in my collection, I have very few disks by male solo artists (Sting, Billy Joel, Elton John, Eric Clapton come to mind, but these are the "biggies").

On the other hand, I have almost the complete collections by Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow, Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Shelby Lynne, Diana Krall, etc.

I think the female voice is more soothing, and I have yet to find an audio system that doesn't sound better when playing a female vocalist.

Do you know my local Tweeter uses the new Jewel recording to showcase arguably the best setup they have in the store? The B&K combo of the 7250 amp with the Ref 30 on Sonus Faber Concerto speakers? There has to be something said for that!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I went through a whole phase a few years ago where I was getting anything I could get my hands on that had female singers. Here are some of the gems from that period.

- The Cranberries

- Bjork

- The Sundays

- The Darling Buds(second album Erotica, not first)

- Liz Phair

There are more but they elude me at the moment. When I remember them I'll update this list.

Salvador

Second Unit
Yes, i prefer women rockers mroe than their counterparts.

my list:

Liz Phair

Karen Carpenter

live on release

Jann Arden

Alanis M.

Garbage

Scratching Post

etc etc etc

I'm currently still in the middle of this 'Shakira' craze.

I just can't get enough of her! Can't wait for her new unplugged DVD to come out!

I never really realized that i had a preference for women artists until my friend comlained why almost all my songs in my computer are by women artists.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I find myself doing that more on metal discs. The problem I have had is that all the male metal singers begin to sound all the same. So, I've gotten into bands like:

Nightwish

The Gathering

After Forever

Within Temptation

Lacuna Coil

and on and on...

Jason

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Kate Bush,

Natalie Merchant,

Toni Childs,

Tanita Tikaram,

Karen Peris of Innocence Mission,

Tracey Thorn of Everything But the Girl,

Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins,

Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees,

Tori Amos,

Bjork,

Sarah Mclachlan,

Sheryl Crow,

Sade,

Sinead O'Connor,

Shiela Chandra,

Cibo Matto,

Alanis Morissette,

Annie Lennox

and last but not least... prince

Yes- I believe I do prefer female vocalists.

Jimmy

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Dave,

For a great folk singer, try Rebecca Pidgeon: The Raven or The Four Marys on Chesky Records. Great performances, great sound.

I also like the new quasi-Jazz styling of Norah Jones on Blue Note. Beautiful voice.

Lee

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I also seem to always have more female vocalists in my CD player than anything else. I also seem more "drawn" to female singers as well. For example, I was checking out new speakers the other day, and heard the salesguy put on Patricia Barber's Companion...and I instantly liked what I was hearing. So much in fact I bought the CD.

After work during the week, I'll sit on the couch with a beer and listen to all of Natalie Merchant CD's, and even some Sarah Mclachlan too.

Even different genre's do not affect my "attraction" to the female voice. DirecTv had a Music In High Places series on some time ago with LeAnn Rhimes (sp?) and I absolutly loved her singing in that even though I am not a country fan.

My friends always say that I am a sucker for the female voice. It sure seems that I prefer a woman singing to a man.

Matt

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Nine posts about female vocalists and no mentions of either PJ Harvey or Joni Mitchell? :eek:
I like a few of Debbie Harry's (Blondie) songs, too.
-mwb-

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Me, it's actually my first criteria for music. They have to be girls.

Alisha's Attic, Tori Amos, Melanie Doane, Natalie Imbruglis, Lene Marlin, Maren Ord, Michelle Branch, Damhnait Doyle, Tegan & Sara to name a few... ALL girls!

If I were to listen to male artists, I would most likely use the "Male To Female" effect on my SoundBlaster Live!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab returns with Patricia Barber at the end of April. All in Super Audio.

If you like female vocals, this looks promising.

Lee

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I also prefer to listen to female vocalists, as I find them more soothing, but I do have a fair number of male vocalists in my collection (Sting, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Dean Martin, Ben Folds).

I'd also like to second the recommendation of Rebecca Pidgeon on the audiophile label Chesky. She writes great songs, has a beautiful and pure voice, and she's easy on the eyes too!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I've been listening to alot more female singers than male lately.

I'm currently enjoying female artists such as Fiona Apple, Sarah Mclachlan, Eva Cassidy, Jane Monheit, Amanda Marshall, Jan Arden, and Diana Krall.

Funny that 4 of these females are Canadian.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kate Bush,

Natalie Merchant,

Tracey Thorn of Everything But the Girl,

Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins,

Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees,

Tori Amos,

Bjork,

Sarah Mclachlan,

Sheryl Crow,

Sade,

Sinead O'Connor,

Alanis Morissette,

Annie Lennox

Great list *I removed the ones I was not familiar with.

I have basically everything publicly released by Sarah McLachlan, and some of her fan club stuff, singles, etc...

Most of Tori's albums. All of them are very good.

Always loved Siouxsie, EBTG and Bjork (even with the Sugarcubes)

To those I would add (some have been mentioned in other posts):

Natalie Imbruglia,

Dido,

Aimee Mann,

Diana Krall,

Blondie,

Fiona Apple,

Sundays,

Shawn Colvin,

more I'm sure...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Count me in for preferring female vocalists. I have a few male vocalist with distinctive voices in my CD collection, but most male vocalists just don't get me involved in the songs/music like female vocalists do. Plus females have more range and can do more with songs.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Plus females have more range and can do more with songs.
???

You mean more high range, I assume, since I know very few female vocalists who can stretch down into a baritone.

As for "doing more with songs," I'm not quite sure what that means. Is the Y chromosome somehow an impediment to artistic expression? Many of my favorite singers and songwriters are women (Sam Phillips, Jane Kelly Williams, Cindy Morgan, Sheryl Crow, Jane Siberry, Fiona Apple), but they have no more or less intrinsic artistic value by virtue of their femaleness than my favorite male artists (Joe Jackson, Bruce Cockburn, Peter Gabriel, Rich Mullins, T-Bone Burnett, Pete Townshend) do.

It's all about the songs, y'all.

NP: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (which I am becoming increasingly convinced is one of prog-rock's greatest albums ever)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks