What's new

Anyone else hoping for a Grand Theft Auto game for the Next Gen.? (1 Viewer)

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Can you imagine how cool a GTA game would be on the next gen. consoles? The graphics would be amazing compared to the games out for this generation. With real time physics and destructable environments it would make a great game.

Brion

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see where they go with it, literally as well as technologically. They've imitated NYC, Miami, and LA/SF/Las Vegas. What to mock next? Chicago? DC? Or is it time for them to go multinational? Imagine what a next-gen box would do for London, Paris, Hong Kong, or Tokyo.

Let's only hope that these kinds of games are still legal in the next couple years.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my big hope; a full representation of a real live city. Spiderman 2 did it with New York. While the imitations are very good, imagine the freedom of gameplay in a full sized city. Do it with Seattle for example. Thats a very managable task, whereas a Chicago or New York could be a bit too much. Being in DC right now, I can see that having many fun possibilites too.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I cant wait to see what they do with the GTAseries on the next gen consoles. What era do you think they will pick up next?
Also I dont think they would really need to expand on the cities anymore, The 3 cities in San Andreas are huge. I would like to see on the next Gen consoles though as mentioned above, fully interactive cities.
The GTA series has really outdone themselves with everything they have implemented into the games thus far. I would like to see just about every building in the city accessible in some way or another.
I second the international theme as mentioned above also. I think the next game pretty much has to go over seas so they dont wear it thin here in the US. The only era I could see them doing if they stay in the US for the next game would be 30's mobster era and that has already been done with Mafia.
So I say Tokyo, London, Russia etc.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Sony has stated that they plan to release a next-gen GTA game around the time of the launch of the PS3.

I highly doubt that, but we can all hope...man, that would be awesome.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not to thread crap, but the GTA game aren't exactly known for their visuals. San Andreas was pretty good, but 3 and VC weren't exactly good; the games were saved by the gameplay.

I would definitely like to see them stretch the concept to include multiple states, possibly even making a whole country. SA did a state, so the next step is a country (or maybe a continent/planet?)

Even so, I hope they use the new power to really wow us. Imagining walking out into a sprawling city that you can see for miles, packed with huge detailed buildings and millions of cars and pedestrians just going about their day. Then imagine being able to completely destory that with a tank. Maybe destructible objects like bridges or even the buildings themselves!

If the series doesn't move in a direction like this, but rather just makes a new story with a new settings, I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think that anyone has to worry about whether there'll be a next gen GTA, but I'm with Morgan on the fact that they have to bring the gameplay up to a new level. i don't know if bigger is necessarily better though, but I do think that more interactive would be nice. The problem with destructible environments though is persistence through the game-i.e. if you blow up a building, how long does it stay destroyed? Does this mean that you can't depend on a building being there when scripting events?

I think you'll see an improvement in the graphics/draw distance though, and probably a few new additions to gameplay, but I think it'll be more of a vice->SA evolution than a quantum leap. I'd also guess that the next GTA game will have some sort of online aspect to it-probably something like multiplayer gang Co-op missions, or some sort of "gang war" type game. Perhaps this could be in a separate, persistent world? Another possibility is to have multiplayer hosted in one player's "city", where the results only affect that player's game (like visiting other games in Animal Crossing).

David Galindo

Screenwriter

I honestly think this was more of a hardware limitation than Rockstars inability to produce good graphics. If you see some of their other games (mainly Manhunt) you will really get a great visual atmosphere, with awesome dark graphics. Im hoping GTA Next will be something like that.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
As an aside, I was futzing around on Wikipedia, and I found the entry on the original GTA, and the original 3 areas were Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas, same as the GTA3 games (expanded, obviously). So it appears they've exhausted those options, and if we go by the series' locations, London would be next. Of course, other games have already done this, so they might have something else up their sleeves.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I actually found a GTA type game that is coming to the 360. It's called Saint's Row and it looks like a lot of fun. The graphics are amazing on it, too.

Brion

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Multiplayer has got to be on the next GTA game.
It's the only thing missing from this otherwise perfect series. I would love to see 32+ players wreaking havoc on a full GTA city like San Andreas, beeing able to drive around and take poeple out from all over the city on bike, plane, train or automobile would be awesome.

With the next gen systems I hope they make maps somewhat bigger during live play though, rather than some of the shrunken down versions of maps we are familiar with and seeing in some games currently out. It seems the maps get smaller than the in game version of the same level for online play. This is most likely so that we can operate with a maximum number of people and the systems capabilities, but with the power of the new systems we should see a nice improvment in online stability I hope.

The inclusion of co-op on the next game is a must for me, I for one would love to go through the entire game with a partner. If not the entire game I would be happy with a large portion of the game being co-op. The new Splinter Cell had great success with the co-op missions in the game but only had a few missions accessible for 2 players. I hope Rockstar learns from this if they decide to go co-op, all or nothing.

As far as graphics are concerned I could see a little improvement but I couldnt really care less if they totally revamped them to look like real life.(as this is not where the game shines)
I like the graphics in the GTA series so far and would like to see more time and effort put into revolutionizing the game play once again like they did with GTA 3.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I hope they go international. London or Paris or Australia (including the Outback) would be great.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I think this was just going to be a GTA game set in Vegas, which I'm pretty sure is one of the cities in San Andreas.

Somehow, I don't see them using a real city for a GTA game again. As much contreversy as GTA games cause, I think that using a real city would just add more fuel to the fire. A real life New York or LA could be referred to as a "criminal training device" or something ridiculous like that...

Another time period would certainly be cool though. Mafia was an interesting game, but the execution was definitely flawed-Rockstar's take on the 30s could be interesting. Also, a game set in the 60s, 70s or even the near future could be fun. I'm betting on something more contemporary though (2000-2005), perhaps returning to one (or more) of the cities in the other games?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

There was an April Fools joke by a website that the next GTA game (before San Andreas was announced) would be GTA:Sin City, set in the Frank Miller comicbook 'world'.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey posten, I mentioned Saint's Row in my post. Should be a great game. I even have it reserved at Game Stop.

Brion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks