Anyone else having a FF:CC party?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Morgan Jolley, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Tomorrow at 3, I'm going to a friends house to play Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with 3 other friends. We're getting food and beverages together for the event and it should last a few hours at the very least.

Anyone else doing this?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Sounds like fun! My copy hasn't shipped yet from ebgames. My wife and I are going to play, and maybe we'll get a GBA for my mother-in-law so that she can join in as well. She's a video game nut too.

3. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

This would be great if anyone I knew had a GB advance. I have 1, so my wife and I can play, but I would love to play 4 player. This is my gripe with FF:CC. I don't think Nintend should require you to have a GBA to play multiplayer. It seems like nothing more than a ploy to sell more GBA's, I love FF, but I am unwilling to spend another $200 so I can get 2 more GBA so my friends can play.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo didn't make the game, so I don't think placing blame on them is fair.

And to be honest, there's a shitload of GBAs already sold. The only thing most people will need to get is a link cable and 3 friends with the right equipment. Luckily for me and my pals, we have everything and set it up.

Damn, it was fun.

5. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

Unless you and your wife both have one, you cannot play mulitplayer... In multiplayer mode everyone needs a GBA [one player does not use a GC controller]... Kind of a bummer since I have a GBA but none of my gaming buddies have one.

--kyle

6. Krystian C

I do have a GBA, but only one, and have the link cable as well back from when Wind Waker came out.

Yes and no in my opinion. I am sure Square could have stood up and said, "No bloody way are we making a multiplayer game so limited" But they didn't. I am sure pressure from Nintendo had to factor into it. I can't help but think if it had been released on PS2 or Xbox, it would have been handled differently. Obviously I guess due to no Xbox or PS2 handheld, yet.

As we all know, at every press junket with Nintendo, when asked about their future plans, all we ever hear is more linkablity with the GC and GBA. This game just cements that plan. It seems they have turned their back on all other developments except Handheld/GC compatibility.

Under most circumstances the GC/GBA link games have been nothing but a gimmick, there has been little benefit playing Linked games. But now, this is a whole new level of stupidity. I already have 4 perfectly good GC controllers, but I do not even have the option to use them, that packaged with the fact the the game relies so heavily on the GBA design, it limits the functionality of the GC controller.

This is why I think Nintendo was heavily behind it, from what I know of Square they seem to always push the technological limits of systems, it seems like a step back to have a game design revolve around a controller scheme that had 4 buttons.

Nintendo also knows that Final Fantasy has proven to be a system selling title. And considering how much the Japanese gaming market eats up FF games, I could easily see them selling huge quantities of GBA based on the FF franchise alone.

A smart marketing move on their part, but that doesn't lessen my discontent with Nintendo at all.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Square/Enix received funding from "Fund Q", which was funded by the ex-president of Nintendo. Its reason d'etre is to give funds to projects that push the connectivity feature of the GameCube/GameBoy Advance.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My copy finally arrived last night. We only had a little bit of time to play it, but my wife and I had a blast playing through the first level. We're still trying to work out how best to use the controls to our advantage, but it was really a lot of fun playing together. I created one of the tall magic using guys, and she's playing a thief.

I'm sorry for those of you who don't have GBAs, but we do, and did previous to getting this game. Check ebay or the used systems at ebgames or something, they're not horribly expensive.

9. George Monroy

George Monroy Stunt Coordinator

Well then Square did not have to use funds from fund q now did they?

So it is squarely on well um Squares shoulders as to having to use GBAs.

10. Krystian C

Fair enough, but had the offer to use the Fund Q never happened, we would have likely seen a game that used just standard joysticks.

I do not know how much money changed hands for the development of the game, but if you could cut your cost for production of a product by say 25%, would you not take the cash?

It is not solely Nintendo's fault, I do put some blame on Square, but not as much as Nintendo. Square feels the need to branch out from the PS2 due to certian limitations, obviously the fact that Sony doesn't have a portable yet had some effect on the choice to bring FF back to Nintendo, especially with Nintendo's offer.

I just hope that they realize their mistakes if they choose to continue working with Nintendo. Hopefully poor sales will prove my point that this is a bad idea.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

It won't. At least in Japan it won't as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is already a moderate success for Square in its home territory (selling almost 400k units and counting as of the end of 2003). I'll also go out on a limb and say that FF:CC will enjoy a simliar type of success here in the US as well. Maybe not at the level of something like Final Fantasy X-2 but I believe it will sell.

12. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

As proven a hundred times in the past, sales numbers in Japan don't mean squat over here. All that means is they will probably get another game like this, American sales figures drive this market here. Thats why we don't have 15 horse racing sims. The game will still sell fairly well here I believe, even for just the people who will play single player because it is FF, but I don't think the figures will be enough to create another game with this type of restraint and lets face it... it is a bummer that everyone has to have extra equipment to play a game... I always hated the gimmicky things like that. I will say that FF:CC looks great and I would love to play it and see if it does live up the hype.

13. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I realize many of you are bitter about having to have more than one GBA to play multiplayer, but if you get the chance, try the game out. The GBAs are really a great tool, and allow you a lot more freedom on screen. I can't imagine putting four maps on screen, as well as inventory and command list manipulation AND keeping the screen real estate for monster battles, exploration and puzzles.

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Lucky dog. [​IMG]

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Your not serious? American sales figures driving the American videogame market? I would have never guessed. (thats sarcasm in case I wasn't laying it on thick enough[​IMG]).

Now if you take another read of my post and the one preceeding it you'll notice Krystian saying he hopes that the sales for Final Fantasy prove that it was a mistake for Square/Nintendo to require the GBA connectivity. Fact of the matter is in terms of revenue generated for Square Enix and whether Final Fantasy CC was successful, whch was afterall the point (was the experiment a "bust" or not?)the Japanese sales figures sure do mean a whole lot more than your proverbial "squat".

As proven a hundred times (to quote you) it amazes me how shortsighted some gamers can be in thier unwillingness to look at the happenings outside of the cozy confines of the US.

16. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Yeah, she's great. She agrees that video games are best played sitting on the floor infront of the TV. During single-player games, one of us often the navigator, while the other controls the character. We'll often switch off to make meals for the other, shower, or things like that.

She does yell at me if I lean too heavily on the strategy guide though.

17. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. I think that in this case the GBAs really added to the experience.

I bought the game last night and played with two of my buddies. I did have to buy a couple of link cables, but each of them have GBAs so it was not a big deal.

Keep in mind that you can play this game with a controller in single player mode. In other words, if you want to play it like you play every other FF game, you are set.

But the GBA connectivity is nifty. 1) You have all of your information at your fingertips without taking screen real estate. Plus, individuals can look around their menus without causing any delay of game play. 2) While it's a cooperative game, there are some elements of competition and so you are able to keep some info to yourself. This isn't a big deal but feels like a "nice touch". 3) (The big one for me) the game forces you to talk to each other, constantly! Asking questions; providing answers. Sure if everyone could see everything this wouldn't be neccesary, but I'll be darned if it didn't add greatly to the experience. This isn't an accident, in my opinion--it seems built into the gameplay.

So... I'm sorry that budget and/or principle will keep some from being able to play this game. We had a blast, and plan to lose this entire coming weekend collecting myrrh for our crystals [​IMG]

Is Nintendo trying to leverage the popularity of its GBA in order to sell more stuff and continue to make profits? Sure they are. Is this game a cheap gimmick to sell overblown controllers that don't do much? Not, in my opinion, at all. I, for one, am excited to see the new ideas that are sure to come, given the GBA/GC marriage.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm not sure Nintendo is using this game as a way to sell GBAs. The GBA and GBA SP have outsold the X-Box and GameCube in unit sales.

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Of course they are! Come on. At the end of the day FF:CC is simply a hack and slash title that could easily be done with four controllers. However you take into account the funding Square received, the name of the product in question, the anticpation behind its return to a console with name Nintendo on it, the complete and total requirement of the GBA for any multiplayer game (ie Square adding the various functions to the GBA screens) and you can bet the farm this game is being used more than a newspaper to wipe a homeless man's ass to sell more GBASP's.

What does it matter if the GBA has outsold 20 other consoles if you can sell more?[​IMG]

20. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Wow, a lot of venom there. [​IMG]

I differ in opinion and I stated it, so what. I have no figures, it was all opinion and word of mouth. However, don't sit back and think that the overseas sales numbers have much to do with what gets released here, same way that our sales numbers don't change the way things get done there. Not a hard and fast fact, but mostly true. Thats why they have tons of games that don't get released here and we have a lot that don't make it to them. I wasn't bashing the game, I just think the markets are different and gimmicky things like this almost never have the staying power in the US market. Of course, you will be offended by this and blast me again, but I don't mind. I would put good money on them not releasing another game that REQUIRES (not that uses is, mind the word) GBA's for multiplayer. If they do, I will be wrong as I have been many many times before. Forums, like the one we are using, are for discussion and opinion and this is mine. [​IMG] I hope they make plenty more of these, I think the people that have the capability have a real treat... I just don't believe they will.