What's new

Anyone Else Finding SD-DVD lacking after life with HD DVD/Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Sure. But the closer range is genuine "home theater". The farther range is "average TV". They aren't the same thing and we need to understand that when we all talk about how good we thing HD does or doesn't look compared to DVD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If it works fine at 1080i, no need to ever set it to a lower rate.
(Most probably it's not the player, BTW, but the upconverter of your TV/projector that's not too brilliant.)

The HD players should always be set to the highest resolution possible on your screen, NOT to the resolution of the source!
(Except: in some cases, choosing 1080i on the player when the screen is 720p, might even yield better results than when the player is set to 720p.)

That is so, because the player "knows" the material and is in a better position therefore to apply the proper upscaling, pull-down correction, etc.! (Also, because the Toshiba's have some of the finest upscalers on the market.)

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Guys. I do leave the XA-1 on 1080i for everything and my PJ is set to auto. I never touch those input settings. I did try the 720p setting Cees and with one of the FW upgrades they fixed those early issues. I never noticed this problem when I owned the A1.

Not sure it's the PJ scaler as the Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player does fine with sd. (even at all settings).

It's not that big of a deal since I do leave those settings alone for the most part.

Looks like Tony & I have the same problems. Try your PS3 for sure and let us know...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. I have 1080p LCD, so my PS3 is set to 1080p and DVD-player to 1080i (doesn´t support 1080p).

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have found I like my HD-A1 at 720p connected to my 720p LCD projector with the newer firmware. I had been running it at 1080i and the Blu-ray player at 720p. The title of this thread is the reason I made the comment that the selection for DVD is the reason I watch far more DVD than Blu-ray/HD DVD combined. I can't see that ever changing. Good picture quality with DVD and a movie I like sure beats great picture quality and a movie I don't like. My Blockbuster queue does show a few movies on each next generation format I would like to see, but the wait is long. Both formats don't have much of interest to me. I am down to about 6 released Blu-ray titles I want to see and about 3 HD DVD and that is it and none of the 9 will show up in my mail box anytime soon.

Chris

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Alf,

I too have a CRT RPTV (Sony KP-57WS520) and it's absolutely essential to make sure your display's convergence and focus is optimized. This means a full service menu convergence (Magic Focus just doesn't really cut it) with a manual and electro-static focus on each of the three guns.
The optimization in convergence and focus will allow your display to really shine by you seeing maximum sharpness, resolution, and detail. I can't emphasize how important this is. In addition, make sure your CRTs and mirror are dust-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks