What's new

Anyone else a bit creeped out that Google is buying Nest? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I understand that privacy is pretty much non-existent in the modern world, but the fact that Google the ultimate data collector bought a company that makes devices that are always on in the home makes me concerned. Am I overreacting? Would you buy always on Google devices? Even with Android, you can turn your phone off, but you aren't going to turn off tstats, light switches and other devices....
Google will pay $3.2 billion to buy Nest Labs, which develops high-tech versions of devices like thermostats and smoke detectors, in its most expensive acquisition ever.
The search engine operator was an early investor in Nest Labs. It says the company's Nest Learning Thermostat has been a "consistent best-seller."
The thermostat, which retails for $249, is designed to learn how inhabitants like their homes to be heated and cooled. Once it learns the consumers' preferences, it automatically adjusts the temperature on its own.
The Nest Protect alarm is intended to be less annoying than traditional alarms: when it detects rising smoke or carbon monoxide levels, it lights up yellow and speaks with human voice, giving consumers an option to turn the device off if there is no emergency. They can stop the alert by waving an arm. The Nest Protect costs $129 while an older smoke and carbon monoxide detector could cost $50 to $80.
Analyst Shyam Patil of Wedbush Securities said Google is positioning itself to offer products that work on the "Internet of Things" - specifically a "connected home" full of intelligent wireless devices that collect data and could be controlled with a smartphone. Last year Google introduced Chromecast, a device that lets users connect their TVs and mobile devices. http://news.msn.com/science-technology/google-says-it-will-buy-nest-labs-for-dollar32b?ocid=ansnews11

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The "Internet of Things" is the hot new buzzword that isn't going to go as far as analysts and techies would like to believe. The average consumer is not interested enough in an online toaster or a "learning" thermostat to pay a premium for that sort of thing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm just seeing a world where I start seeing ads for long underwear/insulation or AC services depending on what Google learns from my Tstat....

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm not that surprised. I've long since accepted some of our brilliant minds of today see the next frontier as being things that make us lazier....you know until the power goes out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Your house is burning down, and the smoke alarm will shout ads for fire extinguishers...
Aaron Silverman said:
The "Internet of Things" is the hot new buzzword that isn't going to go as far as analysts and techies would like to believe. The average consumer is not interested enough in an online toaster or a "learning" thermostat to pay a premium for that sort of thing.
I think if the auto-programming works well, saving people money and making their home more comfortable, it will sell. And technology gets cheaper; these prices can drop to be quite affordable. But the first problem is that the system doesn't seem to work especially well. At least not based on the scattered reviews I've read. I was seriously considering buying a Nest, but I don't have confidence that it will make my life better. As for the google purchase: data about my household temperature seems inconsequential compared to my emails they've got. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I don't have strong negative feelings to it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These two old videos still feel completely relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7U1e4B_iI8&html5=1

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Adam - I share your concerns about the purchase and was going to put a Nest thermostat in my house to better manage the HVAC system that was installed about 6 months ago. Given this news it is highly doubtful now that I will get a Nest device.

I know of other companies that have a similar thermostat system available but haven't really researched them.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations of the others available?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks