What's new

Anyone compare Sony SCD-CE775 and DVP-NC650V? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeC

Agent
Has anyone compared these two models? Would they be pretty similar for SACDs and CDs, or, is the 775 better for sound, as it doesn't have any of the video circuitry of the 650, which also plays DVDs? Also, I'm guessing the 650 and the 500 (which is single disk vs the 650's 5-disk player) would have similar playback qualities. Any feedback?

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
i am wondering the exact same thing. I am sure the cd player will be better in cd and sacd playback when compared to its dvd counterparts, but I am wondering how noticeable this difference will be especially if you only pair them up with fairly low end components such as the low end receivers from denon, yamaha, hk, etc..

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
George, good question. I haven't compared the 'CE775 and 'NC650V. My gut tells me that the 'CE775 would be better due to the lack of video circuitry, but I have no idea. If the 'CE775 is better, I doubt it is a night-and-day difference. I would also agree that the 'NS500V and 'NC650V are likely to be the same sonically, but again, I haven't compared them. You could probably demo these players at a Tweeter, Good Guys, etc. Best Buy has all three players set up side-by-side, but they are mated with a lackluster Sony amp and speaker system. Not the best way to judge players. Plus, those set-ups are on the store floor, complete with every distraction. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

GeorgeC

Agent
My gut would tell me the same thing, Keith and Konrad, it's just you never know. And it's hard to do good comparisons at these places. I have the 500 model now, and SACD does sound wonderful, but CDs don't sound to great. If I could get better CD quality with the 775 (plus 5-disc changer to boot), I'd replace it with that. But if not, I'd just replace it with the 650 and get the changer and DVD playback. Or maybe I should save up and replace it with a 222es? Or wait for something better? Lots of decisions to make.

By the way, Keith, thanks for all the great info and feedback you've been providing. Your amazing setup really does provide for a great deal of comparison knowledge, and thanks for sharing it with the board!

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
seems like every best buy uses that demo to show of sacd. All three players are side by side connected to some pretty bad and I really mean bad speakers. Of course my bb was smart enough to only put one disk in the cd changer and nothing in the dvd players. Anyways even if all three players had the same disk, it wouldn't have helped because of the cheap sony speakers I couldn't even tell a diffence between the sacd and cd layer or maybe I was just doing something wrong.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
George, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to help where I can. As for getting a new SACD player, you don't have to save too much to get the 'C222ES. Crutchfield dropped the retail price last week from $800 to $500, and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) sells it for $380. So, the 'C222ES isn't that much more expensive than the 'NC650V. You could keep the 'NS500V for DVDs and go with the 'C222ES for audio. Just a thought.

I just received a 'C222ES for my second stereo system today from J&R, and it's still sitting in the box. I'm going to set it up now, and I'll post my thoughts.

GeorgeC

Agent
Keith,

If you don't mind, let me know what you think of the 222 with CDs. I'd love to get the 555, but even at its lower price, it's still beyond my budget.

thanks

DaleV

Agent
I bought the DVP-NC650V just recently to replace an older model(DVP-C650D) DVD player. I really like the newer model much more. It has a noticeably better picture, the SACD is awesome and the switch time from disc to disc is better. Can't compare its playback from SACD to the CE775 though. Only heard that at the local CC from that awful setup there. Wouldn't hesitate for a minute recommending the DVD changer though. I thought I would get that to jump into the world of SACD and see if it hangs around before buying a better unit later, if it succeeds. Got mine from Best Buy for $299 about two weeks ago.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that some of you are buying players pretty often! I posted a question (and complaint) about transports not lasting a year but you don't keep your machines longer than that. I suppose with all the format changes now, that makes sense, but what do you do with your "old" ones?

Maybe I should not be upset with short life-times and think of it as a feature?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks