What's new

Anyone buying the new Outlaw receiver 1070? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I put in for the registration list, but am not sure if I should lay down the cash. Plus, the added import costs to Canada would kill me.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's so good in so many ways - and I suspect the quality will be top notch for the price - but without an HDMI/DVI input/switcher it's already less than optimal right out of the gate, if not exactly obsolete on arrival.

Why do I think this is so important? Obviously, it is the future standard for Blue-ray/HD-DVD, but at present I'd love a way to switch between the HDMI/DVI digital inputs from my HD-cable box and my upscaling DVD via HDMI player. At present, I'm limited to only one digital-in (and the improvement over component is quite obvious on my monitor). And, more than that, an HDMI input provides much more flexibility for audio, and will pass hi-res DVD-A tracks digitally so that 6 analog cables are no longer necessary (or you can preserve that single set of multichannel inputs for an SACD player).

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I ordered mine yesterday. I only have Component inputs on my display so the HDMI issue is meaningless for me. I'll post my impressions once it is all set up - might be a while.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
The Outlaw 1070 DOES have a DVI switcher. They also have detailed their reasons for excluding HDMI from their products under the 990 FAQ.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have ordered one, but it's still shipping. I should have it tommorrow or so and I'll try to get my impressions up later this week. The first batch have just been trickling out recently. I'd say good information on how the receiver works in a variety of real world settings should be readily available in about 2 weeks or so once more people have received them.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Got mine - not hooked up though as I'm in the process of moving...will hopefully post my review next week

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've had mine, but the weekend involved setting everything up, buying a new TV stand and then tearing everything back down again and moving it all. I'm still getting the speakers set up optimally and tweaking, but so far I've been very happy with it. The biggest complaint that I've heard so far is that it defaults to Dolby PLIIx-C for digital sources and most people find this rather irritating. The advantage is that it does have an RS-232 port so software updates can fix potential problems and possibly even minor quibbles like this.

I'd suggest checking in at the Outlaw forums to get a more representative view of how people feel about them.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I am thinking about looking into this model as well.

Paul, what was your total cost with import to Canada? I live in the Toronto/GTA area.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I was able to set up the 1070 yesterday and I'd have to say the sounds is pretty great. I also added the LFM-1 to my setup so that has to be taken into account. Still lots of tweaking to get it sounding perfectly, but overall I'm impressed.

A couple issues:
Not sure if this is a cabling or receiver issue, but the Auto turn on for the LFM seems not to be able to detect a signal.

As noted elsewhere, the defaulting to Dolby Pro Logic II when switching sources is annoying. It should remember the last surround scheme I was using when last using that source. I'm looking for a software update on that one.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I'm still trying to figure out what the cost is to import it into Canada.

I'm looking at a number of receivers for a big purchase in the new year, but don't really have a clue what price range this is going to fall into.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks