Anybody Wind Their own Inductors?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan_D, May 1, 2003.

1. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

Just curious. I know there was a section in Vance Dickason's book on winding inductors and wondered if anyone was "rolling their own", so to speak.

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Yes, and no. [​IMG] Not being very patient and having arthritis, to make air cores I used to buy rolls of magnet wire (which are nicely wrapped already) that are at least as large as my calcs for the desired DCR and measure more than what I need then unwind them until I get to the desired value. Cut/strip and you're ready to install.

Here's an on-line calculator: http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/inductor_info.html

Have fun! [​IMG]

GM

3. Jonathan_D

Thanks for the great link. What do you use to measure the inductors? Do have a woofer tester or something similar?

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

My Audio freak of a friend does all his own inductors, he uses "the best wires" and gets the henrys to the exact, of couse it takes him 2 weeks to get just one XO done but hey he loves what he does and does amazing work.

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Why, with an inductance meter, of course! [​IMG]

Actually, for DIYing a decent RMS multi-meter is a must have IMO and getting one with an inductance, capacitance, frequency measuring functions isn't all that much more in the 'computer age'.

GM

6. Jonathan_D

I have a 18 year old Radio Shack digital multi-meter, but I'm almost certain it doesn't measure inductance. [​IMG]

More tools, more tools! [​IMG]

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

It takes an LCR or impedance bridge to measure an inductor. Standard digital multi-meters won't do the job.

I've been 'rolling my own' inductors for decades. With a power winder it takes about 1 minute to make a good inductor. Trimming it to an exact value take another minute or two.

Here's a link to pics of my winder. And a good source for bobbins

Although the pic below is hand trimming a cap, the same Sencore bridge is used to trim inductors

[​IMG]