What's new

anybody own the Short # series DVD's? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Warner Bros. Music released a bunch of Short # series DVD's and I was wondering if anybody owns them or has sem them?

Are they worth it?

There is also international short film series.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got about half of them. I really like them. Not everything on each is for me but I always find a couple of good shorts on each.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
which DVD's would you recommend??

and any particular favorite shorts?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
well, #2 has La Jetee by Chris Marker which was the movie Twelve Monkeys was based on.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
La Jetee was good. Vin Deisels 'Multi-Facial' is pretty good if just for a true look at him. The original 'THX 1138' from Lucas' college days is on another disc. There are so many other better ones though. I can't remember their names. The disc with the Fred Savage short is pretty solid.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
The disc with the Fred Savage short is pretty solid.
That's the same one as La Jetee. That's the only one I've seen, it was okay... I have to say that just because you like 12 Monkeys is no guarantee that you'll like La Jetee. Also take note that it is dubbed on the Shorts DVD, which upsets a lot of purists. I thought about half the stuff on the DVD was worth watching, the other half pretty lame/dull.

I would like to rent the others, but I can't imagine wanting to buy them.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Disk #6 ("Insanity") includes Don Hertzfeldt's "Billy's Balloon", which is worth the price by itself.

I've got about 6 of the series. It's worth noting that there are variant editions - the Volume 1-3 I have from when it was a subscription magazine are different from the Volume 1-3 available from Warner.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why there haven't been any new volumes of this? I've been buying them all since they came out.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have up to 4 and 7 I think, though I still haven't watched all of them. Depth Solitude (1:2) is awesome! The first three were pretty cool, but with everything else coming out I kind of lost interest.

I still wish Architect's Journal had been released. That looked really interesting.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have 'em all. There's always something on each disc worth the price of admission. I was getting them from DVD Empire for less than $10 a pop (pre-release price), so they weren't too expensive to collect.

It's a shame they stopped putting them out. Anyone know what happened?

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Craig, apparently the volume wasn't that high and Warner Music decided to discontinue the series. Too bad as I enjoyed them (and like you bought all of 'em.) I also have the FilmFest DVDs that came out shortly after Short stopped publishing. There are a few films that overlap, but also a great collection of shorts.

-greg

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
gregstaten:

Talking about FilmFest DVD... What ever happened to that publication? It stopped at number 6. And although the web site is still up, there have been no updates, and never got an answer when I sent an e-mail to inquire about any upcoming issues.

JC

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Juan - I would guess that they ran out of money.

BTW- a few weeks ago I received the final issue of SubstanceTV, another DVD-based short film series. The final issue is numbered 2-6 and shipped in a keep case as opposed to the cardboard sleves of previous versions.

-greg

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Mark - I'm not sure the FilmFest DVDs were ever available at retail. You had to subscribe to the DVDs.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks