What's new

Anybody like Pink Floyd??? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The only way PF would still be good is if they did the same kind of group contribution up to the Wall, and not the self indulgent material that came after it.
Well said. As I said before, the group collaboration of all members of the band resulted in their greatest work, which in my opinion peaked with Animals. On Animals you can hear Roger Waters' lyrics taking a new turn, but the music was still a collaborative effort. With the recording of The Wall, that group collaboration was starting to go away. On The Final Cut, the vital equilibrium was gone and there was no pretending that it wasn't.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: On The Final Cut, the vital equilibrium was gone and there was no pretending that it wasn't.[/quote]
I prefer Roger at the wheel.
wink.gif
No pretending...it's a Waters' record.
The Division Bell bored me so much with one listen I returned it and exchanged it for some Martin Denny.
Hehe, I exchanged mine for some rubber bands and a Pez dispenser.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I would like to retract on the Final Cut, there was one song that had redeeming value, that was Not now John. That is the best cut on that album. Although it's not the case, I often think of it as a tribute to John Lennon, but of course it isn't.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Good song. I love "Southampton Dock" and "Paranoid Eyes", although I tend not to think of, or listen to, his work as separate pieces.

Manny

Auditioning
Yeah, but where is Pink Floyd in 5.1 DVD? Is there any out there? I mean in realy 5.1 DD or DTS?
Manny

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
I ask the same question about the paucity of PF on 5.1. Seems like a naural format for this group. I have Pulse and the Roger Waters "Berlin Wall" performance on Laser Disc and, of course, the Wall movie on DVD.
I heard a rumor that Pulse would be released on DVD but nothing yet.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
5.1 would be a natural format for the Floyd. Their live performances had quadraphonic sound since their early days in the '60s.
According to the Schaffner book, the band refused to attend the press party for the release of DSOTM, which was held at a planetarium, because the quad mix was not yet finished and the EMI recording label execs intended to let the press hear the finished stereo mix instead.
The quad mix of DSOTM was supposed to have been the inaugural DTS music CD. But for whatever reason, it was cancelled.
I listened to an interview with Waters and when he was asked about surround sound and DVD and such, he said he was not into high tech stuff, which I take to mean that whatever he's working on now, he's thinking stereo and not 5.1. I hope Gilmour was more forward-thinking and actually had tape rolling on every track including the rears when Pulse was recorded.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I just found out that Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade has a couple of live CDs called "Live Frogs". The first CD has a cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". The second CD will be released on July 24th and will consist solely of a cover of the whole Animals album.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Well, I've waited a while to join the party, but I'm no less a fan of Floyd. I love everything right up to The Wall; never tried anything after that. One of these days, I plan on "completing the experience" and getting up to speed. I have tried to get into Radio Kaos (the only Roger solo I have) and just can't seem to take to it as I do Dave's solo works. Sorry, I guess I'm just not one of the few.
Anyway, lots of you are mentioning favorite albums. Well, after listening to them for over 20 years, I can't see how anyone can have one "favorite". I've always loved Meddle. Yes, One of These Days does kick butt, but the whole album is awesome. Wish You Were Here got me through my freshman and sophomore days in high scool. I must've listened to that album a million times. Dark Side of the Moon? Simply put; perfection. Piper at the Gates and Suacerful of Secrets? Well, you just cannot beat Astronomy Domine or Interstellar Overdrive, and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. That's not to say that the rest of the two albums selections are spares - far from it. I just think those three selections kind of point to what Floyd was to become, kind of their early defining moments.
But the one thing that absolutely pisses me off...
is that we don't have a dvd of Pompeii yet. I am dying to have this. I've got a laser of it, but no LD player. ARRRGGGHHH!!! Polygram, get off your asses already and lisense this to Criterion! Sheesh. This is always on my mind, but it's doublely painful right now as I just came across an interview with Alan Parsons talking about Floyd on a local radio stations website. It heavily utilized scenes from Pompeii.
Go here to see the Alan Parsons interview with scenes from "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii"...
http://www.kzps.com/downloads.html
(The Floyd should be hangin' out underneath George)
Really Santa, this is all I want for Christmas, okay??

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Pink Floyd's last great album was The Wall
I really think that A Momentary Lapse of Reason is very underrated as an album. Learning to Fly has some of the best lyrics of any Floyd song, IMO!
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on July 11, 2001 at 03:53 PM]

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
MLOR was a good album, but the bigger picture here is that it was mostly Gilmour, which was fine, good to see him do more PF stuff, but when Division Bell came along, it was more of the same stuff which I thought why DB fell short of MLOR. What is missing is a balance of the songwriting style of RW.
It's kind of like listening to WYWH without welcome to the machine or have a cigar. Good, but not as dymanic.

Darren H

Second Unit
I just found out that Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade has a couple of live CDs called "Live Frogs". The first CD has a cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". The second CD will be released on July 24th and will consist solely of a cover of the whole Animals album.
Wayne, except for Les's nasally voice (which doesn't suit Pink Floyd particularly well), that cover of "Shine on You Crazy Diamonds" is a mind blower -- a bit quicker, much heavier, and it features an amazing, distortion-filled saxaphone in place of Gilmour's solo. I hadn't heard about the Animals cover (my favorite PF album, by the way), but I'll definitely search it out.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
One thing about the Wall.
If you read saucerful of secrets by Nicholas Shaffner, then you know that the Wall would not have been as cohesive if not for Bob Ezrin. Not that he changed the lyrics much, but he did smooth out the rough edges of the songs and make it flow correctly. He conceived the Trial, the song that sums up the entire album ala Gilbert and Sullivan songstyling.
Basically, it was Gilmour's idea to bring Ezrin in and help make the album. Although Waters was a little objectionable, he did say, to paraphrase "Do whatever you want, just don't expect any credit for it".
IMO, if Ezrin had continued to help them, the Final Cut may have been a better album. Maybe they could have done Pros and Cons, too since those songs were written the time the Wall was conceived. They made a good choice to decide on the Wall over Pros and Cons.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The book also explains that the Floyd were almost penniless, having lost most of the fortune they had made from Dark Side of the Moon due to some bad investments and one crooked accountant, and so they had to record The Wall in order to pay their taxes.
I believe it was also Ezrin who convinced them to aim for a hit single in "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", which explains why it has that disco guitar riff.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to Wish You Were Here again. What a great album. Its like a symphony, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, and then the end of Shine on...an incredible listening experience. One of their best, if not the best Floyd album IMHO.
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Much of the PF catalog was re-mastered when their box set came out. After the box set had its run, all those masters were then used on the regular CDs.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step."
THE WALL was my first exposure, the DSOM, then WYWH.
I had some overly compulsive behavior re: the Wall film, investing in a vinyl boot of the film soundtrack, the picture book, the British single "When The Tigers Broke Free", an original theatrical one-sheet, an original 35mm theatrical trailer, the first MGM/UA video release (remember the book-style box?), all 3 laserdisc releases, and finally the DVD.
One of the fellows I work with actually booked Pink Floyd in Regina back in the early '70's before DSOM became their seminal work.
A day without Floyd is like a day without sunshine, and a day without sunshine is like Spoiler:night. :)
------------------
"Good grief! The comedian's a bear!!"
[Edited last by Keith Paynter on July 31, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I have a two CD set "Made In Holland" re-mastered in 1994.
Ummagumma was my introduction to Pink Floyd. This was during the time of life that as you listened to the music you also stared at the album cover until you noticed that the guys really moved in a specific pattern through those 4 photos....(don't ask).

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have so many live Flying Frog Brigade MP3's, it isn't funny. I do have the entire Animals set and it is amazing. I can't wait for an official CD release of it.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks