What's new

Anybody Here Studying for CFA? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Any financial professionals on the board?
Studying for Level 2 of this behemoth. Last year I read all the actual text and passed (but barely). This year, some charterholders are telling me to just study the Schweser notes and only review the text on stuff that's very difficult. (what isn't on this exam?). Anyway, seeing as I'm having a tougher time getting motivated to study than I was last year, I'm wondering if anyone here has passed all three levels and what strategies they can help me with. Thanks. My HT hates this part of the year (Feb-May) as it doesn't get the workout it normally does during the other months of the year.:frowning:

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,

I have considered the CFA, but I think it's a little more in the future for me. I want to get my CPA license first. However, I have some friends who are taking the test. From what I hear, the 2nd part is the hardest. Once you get past that, the passing rate of the 3rd part is quite high, relatively speaking. So just put in the effort for the next 3 months and it get easier from here on out. Good luck!

Henry

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
I became a charterholder last year. I'm a very bad crammer, so the CFA course is probably the worst sort of course for me to study. (Put it this way...whether the CFA had 800 pages or 50 pages of notes, I would still use the same amount of study time!) The Schweser notes worked for me, as I didn't have time to go through the texts.
As for what I found difficult...Level 2 is a more "technical" or "analytical" year, and Level 3 was a more "rote-learning" year, meaning lots of items to memorize (not that Levels 1 and 2 didn't have a lot of things to memorize, nor Level had no technical stuff!). There are lots of accounting (especially accounting for combined companoes) and derivatives concepts in level 2, as well as big questions on equity valuation and fixed income. But don't forget purchasing power parity and, of course, ETHICS!
Try out Link Removed for a light hearted look at the CFA and some tips, as well as a forum. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help (if I can!).
Good luck!
Joe

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joe. Just verifying that the Schweser will be sufficient is what I was looking for. Last year I actually read all the material, but that was too time consuming. Using the Schweser would be preferable, but you really don't want to change a strategy you were successful with in the past.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Schweser should be sufficient, maybe need text only if you dont understand all the theory. Be ready to pull your hairs out on Level 2 though. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks