What's new

Anybody here play role playing games? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
(And no, I'm not talking about the bedroom kind.);)
[geek]Does, anybody here play D&D or any other kind of RPG? I play in a campaign using the new D&D rules as well as another RPG of my own creation. [/geek] :D
If you've ever played you might like this...
Five things you DON'T want your players to say:
1.Ranger wearing plate mail in a misty echoing crypt: "I try to move silently"
2.Apprentice to mage "By the way master, I finally shot that pesky owl that kept following you around."
3.Party fighting a band of thieves in a 4X3X4m room, when the mage says, with serious tone: "Hell, I cast a fireball,
THAT'll teach'em."
4.Party laying on a hillside spying on the Imperial Army of Darkness commanded by Gul the Necromancer himself (+/- 10,000 troops) "Hmmm, if we attack from the rear, do we get bonuses on our attack roll??"
5.Paladin as the lone survivor of a party of 7 facing an army of evil and undead creatures, which just slaughtered his fellow adventurers: "Huh, why should I run? I got protection from evil in a 15ft radius, THEY can't touch me" (last words).
I got the list from here: http://www.planetadnd.com/humor/misc_humor/index.php
Hmmm... so this is my 1000th post...
:rolleyes

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Used to play AD&D,Traveller,Top Secret
and the like. I kind of liked the James Bond kind of RPGs, versus the Fantasy ones. My friends use to be more into it than I was and I know some friends who still play the War games like Squad Leader and stuff but I could never get into them as there were too complicated for the time I wanted to invest in it.
Jay
I think this is my 3800th post??? I think..

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I had to chuckle at a couple. Where have the real RPG's gone? One of my alltime favorite games when it came out was Betrayal at Krondor.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Can I get a HELL YEAH!!!
I have a group of friends that play 3rd edition once a week. We are all in our late 20s, grad school, med school, or working world. I have to say that compared to when I was a pubescent teen, the game is great! Now that I am old enough to appreciate the full depth of the rule system, the game has simply become one of the most enjoyable hobbies for me.
I highly recommend those of you estranged gamers from the late 80's to pick up the new edition and grab some old friends. You won't regret it!
Jason

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I run a 3rd edition D&D game every other week, and play in another. I also play Call of Cthulhu once or twice a week.

Janna S

Second Unit
I am so out of it, I thought you were talking about murder mystery games.
I have never played, or even seen, a video game or computer game.
I am sooooooo old. And sooooooo old fashioned. Heck, all we HAD was sex games - in those wild and crazy post-pill and pre-HIV times, when antibiotics still cured everything. ;)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Jason, there are 5 of us who play, we are in our 30's and 40's as far as age goes and we have been playing since we were kids. We still play at least once every 2 weeks on a regular basis and get together once or twice a year for a full day of gaming, drinking & pizza. :D
We've also played just about every RPG at one time or another. D&D (all versions), Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Dragon Quest, Champions, Marvel Super Heroes, Living Steel, Universe, Aftermath, Traveller, Tunnels & Trolls, Rolemaster, Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP), Harnmaster & Rifts to name a few.
EDIT:
I run a 3rd edition D&D game every other week, and play in another. I also play Call of Cthulhu once or twice a week.
How could I forget Call of Cthulhu! My brother still runs it for us a few times a year. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Micheal,
That is great to hear! My wife just rolls her eyes, but man it is such great fun to get together and play. We usually order pizza and have wine or beer, but sometimes, we cook dinner together too, so it makes for a really wholesome experience (that is, until we have to kill one of the players because his character died :D)
Jason

Sarah S

Second Unit
Micheal,
You might want to try the latest from Kenzer & Co; HACKMASTER!!!! It's a complete game system that takes 2nd Ed AD&D rules, & puts a fun twist into them. My group is playing that right now; it's been fun. :)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I just wonder how many people were actually familiar with jokes like say number 2 or if they even knew you were talking about a game based on paper and dice.

How many of you D&D'ers have gone out and chopped someone's head off? Isn't that like the initiation? Yes, that last bit of sarcasm was tasteless.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I'm currently in a 3rd edition campaign and we play every Thursday. We're all mid 20s and seniors in Computer Science at college and like play to get a break from all the work. I've been playing off and on since around '90 or so. Good fun.
Funny D&D story:
One of my buddies in high school started playing with us and he decided he wanted to learn more about the game so I lent him my collection of 2nd edtion books, I think it was a PH DMG and MM. Anyway, he had them for a few days when his parents found them. They burned them in thier burn barrel (thats what people who live in the country do with their garbage) because only devil worshipers play D&D :D
Man, some people are so stupid! My friend bought me new books so it worked out (mine were pretty thrashed).
AAAAAhhh. those were the days eh?
-Marshall

TheoGB

Screenwriter
In my time (off the top of my head):

D&D

AD&D 1st and 2nd Ed

Call of Cthulhu

Pendragon

Talislanta

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Middle-Earth Role-Playing (Now where on earth is that now its all the rage again?)

Space Master

Vampire: The Masquerade

Warhammer

I had a peek at the 3rd edition rules of AD&D and have to say they just looked really badly laid out - no pictures just reams of uninspiring text.

While 2nd Ed has a some good points to it, nothing beats Gygax's style in 1st Ed., even if there's absolutely no logic to the layout. I'd urge any DM to get copies of the PHB and DMG from 1st Edition (and the MM too as the demons and things in there are cool) as valuable resources.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Jason, I just finished running a session of my game last night, it ended with the party finishing a grueling fight with a (wood/iron) Golem only to have the Witch (whom they've been looking for) and her lover (an evil Black Knight) showed up!:D We're playing D&D (3rd edition) tonight. Back to back in the same week is rare but we had to cancel a game last week.
Sarah, I'll have to chack that out.., thanks!
TheoGB, the 3rd edition rules are a little dry. I also find that combat seems to take FOREVER! It could be the fact that we are only 4th level and getting used to the rules but it really seems to drag on sometimes.
Oh well, we still have a blast, it's all about getting together...

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Michael, have you played previous editions of AD&D? I'm just surprised if they've significantly slowed down combat. I mean it already can take ages - if they've dragged it out any longer...
We're playing a 2nd Ed campaign now on Mondays which is fun as none of us have really played much in years.
Oh and I hear they re-released Temple of Elemental Evil. As the 1st edition version of this was the greatest module for the game I ever played you should probably check it out.
I think I went through 13 characters playing that one - and everyone was playing two character due to the lack of players.:D

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
TheoGB, we've played all the D&D editions including the first notebooks that came out (I think they were called Blackthorn?).

We're just getting the hang of the 3rd edition rules (we haven't played D&D in a while) but the combat does seem to take quite some time for a party of 5.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I've been playing 3rd edition for several years now (I was a playtester) and combat does speed up once you get the hang of it. Mind you, getting the hang of it took me a long, long time. The new rules are very logical, very consistent, but very, very complicated.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I know that TSR (now WOTC) thinks that it has to keep churning out new editions to keep the interest up in D&D, but in my group it just killed the interest. When 2nd edition came out, the consensus was to stay with 1st ed. but since they stopped supporting it with modules, etc. we eventually gave up. One of my most devoted groups stopped, but the other one adjusted to 2d ed. But when 3d ed. came out, even they said enough's enough and that was the end of my D&D. Still playing Call of Cthulhu 1st edition, though, since they haven't changed that recognizably from edition to edition--at least not in the sense that the adventures require different GM information.

GARY C

Second Unit
I've played a few along the way (and still do).

A friend of mine re-wrote alot of the Palladium rules to make it more realistic (and the combat system alot faster) so I've played alot of the Palladium games.

Started at Robotech then Invid, Southern Cross and then Rifts.

I've also played D&D, AD&D, Role Master, MERP's, MegaTraveller and Twilight 2000 (Merc 2000).

Rifts was the most used tho', we still play from time to time. If you ignore the Palladuim rules I have always found Rifts to be a great setting mixing magic and tech. Although to make it really work you have to go beyond the books and create stuff yourself.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I have played Robotech, AD&D and Shaowrun....but my all time favorite (that I still want to play) is RIFTS

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the geek list. I've played D&D in all its editions (and a few other games)since 1980. Its always gone in stages though: lots of play in jr. high, no time for it in high school or university, play again for a while till work/girlfriend schedules wouldn't allow it, then play again a while later.

Right now we are trying to play (3rd edition) but five very different work schedules are really making it tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks