What's new

Anybody here own a newer Nissan Maxima? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
It's time for a new car. The wife and I have settled on the Nissan Maxima. If you currently own one, how do you like it? Anything I should look out for? How's the space? Feel free to tell me what you think about it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I own a 2008 Nissan Altima, the 2 Door. It has 270 HP engine and still gets good gas millage. I'm coming from a Chevrolet truck. Let me tell you, this is the first time in a LONG time (owned GM before the truck too) that I have ever enjoyed driving my car. The build quality alone was worth it, even if I hated driving it, but let's face it, there was no way I was going to find a car I could hate driving more than that truck. After I bought it and realized that I didn't have a giant plastic car, interior and out, I actually found how nice it was to actually have a car that performs like a $30K car should. The quality of steering, the engine, the mechanics, everything was amazing. Love it. AND, I have not had to take it in for work because the motors for the windows broke, or the computer for the brake lights and cruise control died, or the springs in the cylinder heads were faulty, or the computer for the brake lights and cruise control died again, or they cylinder head springs needed replacement again, or the plastic garbage interior was broke by the morons that reinstalled the motor for the window and had to be replaced, need I say more? Love nissan and toyota, never again will I own a ford/chevrolet/gm or any of those products.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Assuming they are still using the same engine they were around 10 years ago, that V6 is legendary for smoothness.

I hear they are bringing back the "4DSC" moniker back, which means "Four-dour sports car" in Nissan-speak. Kind of silly to me.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'll swear by Nissans. I bought a used Altima a few years ago after test driving several used (and new!) midsized cars. The Nissan just felt more solidly built while every other car felt like its plastic would rattle loose within a few years.

I've since traded in the Altima (after a run-in with someone's rear bumper) and bought a fresh-out-of-the-factory Sentra for the great mileage. After 60k miles it still runs like the day I bought it.

But, now that I'm 40, I'm in the market for a midlife crisis car... the GTR perhaps? ;)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I swore off domestic cars 8 years ago and haven't looked back. My 2000 Celica GTS has 198000 miles on it and still runs great. Best of all, I'm still getting 25+MPG highway. :emoji_thumbsup:

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I own a 2003 Altima. I also work for the company that supplies Nissan with their brake rotors, so many of my co-workers drive Nissans including the Maxima. I will echo what has been said about the good quality of the Nissans. Especially the brake rotors. ;) However, do to the way Nissan engineers certain things, I will not buy another Nissan. These may seem like minor issues but they add up to a frustrating driving experience for me.
  1. I park my car in the garage. All the american cars I have owned, you only have to pull the keys out 1/2 way to stop the chime from going "ding" on and on. With the Nissan, I have to take the keys out all the way and there is no convenient place to put them.
  2. When coming to a stop, I usually have to lean forward a little at intersections. The Nissan seatbelt always locks up on me and restricts me from seeing if the coast is clear. Then I have to sit still until it unlocks.
  3. The shift on the floor does not have a straight pattern like I am used to. The zig-zag pattern is awkward for me.
  4. Many times when I go to open the door from the inside, I accidently lock the door because of where the lock button is located.
There are other things like these also, but it boils down to the car just doesn't fit my personality and driving habits. It is a very good car all in all. My co-workers and wife enjoy driving their Nissans.

Edit: I get 28mpg with the 4 cylinder, but my co-worker swears that his 6 cylinder gets 30mpg due to the lower rpms it turns

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Actually, to add a bit to my above post, I've recently started driving the two lane highway to work and back everyday instead of the interstate my previous mileage rating was based on. Dropping from 70MPH to 55MPH, I've actually increased my fuel efficiency by 8MPG!!! Here's my new math.

It's 38 miles from my house to work. Round trip, that's 76 miles per day. I fill up on Monday and my fuel runs through Friday. That's 380 miles per week. When I fill up, I put in 11.5 gallons of fuel. 380 / 11.5 = 33.04MPG. Instead of 25MPG in my Celica, I'm getting 33MPG! Woo hoo!!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks