What's new

Anybody got OUTER LIMITS season 2 yet...? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark-

Yes, appropriate indeed for this series. I couldn't see a mark on the disc. (Must be made of meteoric material.) I'll try to clean it though.

Regarding grain, I was surprised by the amount on the Soldier episode. I don't recall that much visable on the LD sets. I'll have to compare them.

Nelson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
yup...could care less about the price. these episodes on both sets...are worth much more than the 50 or 60 bucks they are asking, IMHO. have both and love both.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
as someone who was enormously disappointed with the first season, would the second be more to my liking?

of the 8 or show episodes i watched, i thought they generally started with a very interesting premise and then the narrative just dribbled its way to a perfunctory, tired conclusion.
and the 'bear' formula doesn't really grab me.
especially when they are on camera in full view so much that all possible mystery is disapated.

it sounds like episodes like Soldier and Demon... are more of what i was originally looking for.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For those of us that grew up on this show, I'll speak for myself, part of the charm of this series is that it was so creepy to us then. I saw these shows in reruns during the late 60's and 70's as a kid, so it's part nostalgic, part fond memories of how these show affected a youth, and part just plain great stories. It was a simpler time then.

Demon and Soldier are great episodes. There are so many actors too that went on to fame, Shatner, Robert Duval, Leonard Nimoy, etc, cool to see them then. For someone just getting into it now, I can imagine it looks pretty hoky to them. The effects while pretty simple and low budget, did the job back then. It can't compete with today's stuff.

There were so many great examples of good shows in the first set, the second set has quite a few too. I like particular shows because they spoke to me as a kid. Most I suspect hate Behold Eck, but I like that show a lot, because of the way the alien is helped by the main characters. Demon had a terrific story, music score, cinematography, and ending, it's a classic. Etc, etc... My 2 cents.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As much as it pains me to say this, if the first season did not resonate with you, then I find it unlikely that the second season will do so. While I consider Soldier and Demon With A Glass Hand to be superior episodes, there are any number of shows from the first season that I enjoyed nearly as much. ( The Galaxy Being, The Architects of Fear, The Zanti Misfits, Fun and Games, etc., etc. )

- Walter.

I grew up terrified and loving TOL as a kid in 64-65...The Zanti Misfits is forever burned into my brain....I checked my bed for the big convict bugs weeks after first seeing it.

Got Season One and love it...off to get Season Two today. I have a very small DVD collection of only fave movies and TV, but these are keepers.

John

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who thought some of the episodes are absolutely horrid looking? There's so much artifacting in "Cry of Silence" that I thought that Eddie Albert was suffering from some sort of facial disease and, in the padded cell scenes with Michael Ansara in "Soldier," the white walls are covered with grain artifacts which are REALLY distracting (I've heard of people getting the DTs in asylums, but not the audience!). Some episodes -- "The Duplicate Man" in particular -- look much better, but are a little gauzier. I popped in the third disc from the first season for a comparison and they looked significantly better.

The screenshots from Derek Germano's site look much better than what I saw on my screen (I have an old Sony player which is a real warhorse, so it's not a player problem) while scanning through the episodes.

Nelson,
It's most likely you have a disc -- not a player -- error. I went through two copies of the first series before I got one that was defect-free.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
While I certainly appreciate that I now have all the episodes (I didn't buy the first set until now - $80 for both at Best Buy, if you buy them together), I am certainly glad I didn't sell my laser discs, which I think look better overall.

There is one real clinker in Season 2 and that is The Invisible Enemy. The payoff is shown much too early and spoils the tension, although, I must admit, even had it come at the proper time, most would have guessed it already. Not particularly great acting in this episode either.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mark, the transfers are not the greatest ever to come our way — nowhere near the quality of the work Image did for The Twilight Zone. And, as Sound & Vision reported in its review of the first-season boxset, the sound is the epitome of neglect.

Nevertheless, this superb series has never looked this good before. It could have been better, but I'm not complaining.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
re: comments from Mark Cappelletty-

Thanks for your thoughts. I did try the DVD in another DVD player and in my computer, the disc locked up at the same place essentially on all 3 players. And cleaning didn't help it. I got it exchanged today and it's okay, now for the rest of the episodes, I hope they're okay too!

Nelson

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've found the sparkly grain to be a bit distracting too, but these transfers are so much better than the old VHS releases from MGM, that I'm willing to forgive. As stated, these episodes have never looked better.

For those who have trouble reading the tiny print on the center-hub label on the disc, this set has another way of identifying the sides. Side A is printed on the silver color side, while side B is a printed on the gold color side. The first set (Season 1) is not like that. They're all gold colored.

Harry

richardWI

Second Unit
I've got a minor complaint about the stupid unavoidable MGM intro on the discs. When I sit down to watch The Outer Limits I don't want to see Reece Witherspoon everytime I pop the disc in! grrr. :thumbsdown:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Some of us don't mind looking at Reese Witherspoon so much.... :D

At least the MGM intro can be skipped past....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just in case anyone cares, since no one has made comments about the disc compared to the MGM/UA laserdisc box set of a few years ago, I took a quick sampling.

I just saw Demon with the Glass Hand on DVD, then compared a few scenes on the laserdisc. Definitely improvements in contrast and of course clarity. You would never know there was filmgrain on the LD versions. The LD looks almost washed out. Definitely happy to have this DVD set out now.

Nelson

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have order S1-4 for new outerlimits. I starting getting into outerlimits from 1963 and wanted to collect revival of the show. I welcome peoples thoughts and suggestions around outerlimits.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by younger1968

I have order S1-4 for new outerlimits. I starting getting into outerlimits from 1963 and wanted to collect revival of the show. I welcome peoples thoughts and suggestions around outerlimits.

Hello. Actually, being able to finally own further seasons of the New Outer Limits on DVD has been one of the biggest highlights of the year for me. I really enjoyed this series when it aired in reruns (I never had Showtime Network) and now, watching it on DVD, I'm an even bigger fan of the show - there is some excellent writing on the show and many of the episodes are quite fascinating, especially if you're a fan of hardcore sci-fi themes and storytelling. Last night I saw a real doozy from Season 2 called Inconstant Moon. Also, looking forward to revisiting the time-travel episodes and an ep (from Season 4, I think) about some people stranded in a hospital because of a biological attack. I thank our friends at Alliance for furnishing us with complete seasons of theis great series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i now have several seasons of Outerlimits (S1-S4, S6). I plan to buy the remaining seasons this month. I am very please with what i have seen with this set. I dont remember watching it in the 1990s, but, that was i focused on my career and going to school for half of that decade. I am glad for DVDs because it allows me to watch the shows again.

I watch the Gettsburg episode last night and it was amazing episode and starred meatloaf. I like how the time traveller was trying to send a message to one individual and then near end he failed. This approach also set up issues from the future that were not changed.

I strongly recommend the updated version of outerlimits. The 1960s verion was ok, but, the technology of today helps make the reincarnation better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks