anybody going to deep fry a turkey this thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

OK all you briners out there. For those of you just using water/salt/bnsugar, do you bring the brine to a boil 1st, cool down, then add turkey, or do you skip the boiling and just mix it all together and add turkey. Maybe the boiling method was just for the vegatable stock recipe as linked above. Im getting things ready as I type. Can't wait. [​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I just warme dmine to melt the sugar a big then mixed it with the cold water and added the bird.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Phillip_T,

If you are just brining wiht no spices/stock you can just heat the water to disolve the sugar (sugar is hard to dissolve in cold water, salt is not). If using the spices, you have to boil it to release the spice flavor into the brine.

4. Philip_T

Thanks guys. I've got the big bird in the brine right now. Started off bringing 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 2 bay leaves and some peppercorns to boil. Then added that to a gallon of cold water, added the turkey, put in some ice and closed the lid. Hopefully it all works out. [​IMG]

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Be sure to rinse it and pat it dry after you get it out of the brine and before you cook it.

6. Philip_T

Yep. Good point. I plan to rinse it and let it soak in fresh water with some lemmons for an hour, then rinse again. I can hardly wait. I love this holiday!

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

8. Philip_T

Hey Philip_G , are you leaving your bird covered or uncovered in the refer.? One of the recipes I read said to keep it uncovered, but I'm not too sure how safe that is.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

uncovered, I don't see why it would be unsafe.

10. Philip_T

Just worried a little about the little beasties making a home. Probably no big deal.

11. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Since Southerner's started this trend, here are a few good recipes:

Deep Fried Turkey is the holiday bird of choice, a Thanksgiving and Christmas favorite in South Louisiana. To do it right and safely, you'll need your own outdoor gas burner, a deep pot and thermometer.
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons Creole mustard
    6 oz garlic juice
    6 oz onion juice
    3 oz red pepper sauce
    ½ cup Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
    8 oz water
    1 (12-14 lb) turkey, thawed and dressed
    Deep pot and gas burner for outdoor cooking
    5 gallons peanut oil
    Blend the first seven ingredients in a jar and refrigerate for two days. Using a large chef's syringe, inject the turkey with the marinade. Rub turkey with additional mustard and season generously with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. COOKING MUST BE DONE OUTDOORS. Place oil in pot and heat to 350 degrees. Submerge turkey and allow the turkey to fry for four minutes per pound. Remove carefully and wrap in foil until ready to serve. Yields 12-16 servings.

from http://www.tonychachere.com/recipes/...ed-Turkey.html

Cajun Fried Turkey
    12 lb. Turkey
    Cajun Injector Marinade (Creole Butter Recipe or Cajun Hot'N Spicy Butter Recipe)
    Cajun Injector Cajun Shake Seasoning
    3-4 Gallons of Oil (preferably Peanut Oil)
    Remove giblets, rinse turkey with warm water, pat dry (especially inside cavity) and leave whole. Drain cavity completely.
    Inject 4 oz. of marinade on each side of breast. Inject approximately 2 oz. in each leg and thigh. Use about 16 oz. marinade per turkey.
    Rub Cajun Shake Seasoning on outside of turkey and on the sides of the cavity.
    Make sure all of the water is drained from the breast cavity before placing the bird into the oil. Place turkey in basket and lower slowly into hot oil. Maintain temperature at 350 degrees. Deep fry 3.5 minutes per lb. - Serves 10.

from http://www.shoppinglouisiana.com/Mer...ry_Code=Recipe
    CAUTION: BE VERY CAREFUL, GREASE IS EXTREMELY HOT! OPEN FLAME.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

5 gallons? I usually get away with 3...

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

How's it going T?
    My bird is in the oil still, has about 20 minutes left.
    For some reason this new fryer I have always splashes over when I put the bird in, need to remember to use less oil next time.

14. Philip_T

Going well G . We couldn't have asked for a taster, juicer bird. I'm so full right now, I can barely type this. How'd yours turn out? BTW, the gravy was exceptional this year. And with a 16lb bird, we had a lot of it. [​IMG]

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Mine was great, not sure if it was the brining or just a really good bird, but we both agreed it was the best fried turkey to date, and I've been doing them for 4 or 5 years now.
    I even took a picture of it [​IMG]
    www.whereyou.at/philip/turkey.gif

16. Philip_T

Yes, I am officially a huge fan of the brining process now. Excellent bird this year. Plus it was an open range bird which didn't hurt things either. Looking forward to months worth of turkey sandwiches, enchiladas and tortalini.

BTW, nice looking bird G!

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

You know what sucks? I took last night off so I would be able to sleep and stay up today, which means I have to head in to work in 2 hours.

18. Philip_T

Oh man, thats harsh. I couldn't imagine trying to work with all of the tryptophan (sp) in me. Good luck.

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hey, what do you guys do with the oil?
    I skim off the top and pour it back in the jug, it's clean and a nice golden color, and I can keep it cool in the garage over the winter months, but can't refrigerate it over summer... is it safe to use?

I had some from last thanksgiving in the garage but didn't think it'd be any good after a hot summer out there.

20. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

One of my neighbors own a high end chinese restaurant (it's so expensive that I still haven't eaten there yet)- anyhow they gave us a free turkey this year prepared by their restaurant.
    Best turkey I ever had and it didn't cost me a cent or require any work out of me. Hope this becomes a tradition... [​IMG] [​IMG]