What's new

anybody going to deep fry a turkey this thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
This is the third year in a row that I'm brining the turkey (two turkeys since I'm feeding 30 people). I use the Alton Brown method from "Good Eats" on the Food Network. Basically, I brine the turkeys overnight and the next morning I rinse them, pat them dry, lightly cover the skin with canola oil and stuff the cavities with aromatics. I then cook them at 500 degrees for 30 minutes then place some foil over the breasts and lower the temp to 350. The turkeys are usually done within 2 1/2 to three hours. They come out incredibly juicy with nice, crispy roasted skin.
I also never stuff the turkeys with dressing. I always cook that on the side. It cuts down on the cooking time and is much safer.
Philip_T, the buckets should be fine. That's what I've been using. Just be sure to turn the turkey once during the brining process. Also, don't forget to truss the legs when you cook it. This helps to keep the dark meat from overcooking, plus, it makes for a much more beautiful bird.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, could you go into more detail about the brining? I've heard it produces good results for a fried turkey too, maybe I'll try it this year.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Phillip,
Here's a link to Alton Brown's "Good Eats" recipe for brining a turkey. You basically let it soak in a salt/sugar brine that helps it retain juices while cooked (salt tends to hold water in the cells of the meat). It is fantastic turkey that will be juicy even if overcooked some, but like someone else said, I like to go a little less on the salt.
Good Eats Brined Turkey

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Phillip wrote:
Kevin, could you go into more detail about the brining? I've heard it produces good results for a fried turkey too, maybe I'll try it this year.
I can't find the link to the recipe at the website but I have it on my hard drive. You don't have to use all the spices for the brine. I've used just sugar and kosher salt and it's turned out just great. This should also work well for a fried bird. Just leave out the aromatics in the cavity.
ETA: Jeff beat me to it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, it's in the episode entitled "Romancing The Bird", in case you ever lose it. Great episode, but not as good as the one about the leftovers that found the cast and crew "stranded" because of a 1" snowstorm that "pummeled" Georgia. :D
BTW, I was in Atlanta visiting friends last weekend. Great city and great state and oh my, the biscuits and gravy ('nuff said)!!!

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Hmm, I guess its a toss-up. Super juicy, or crispy skin. Maybe I could try cooking the bird in the bag for the majority of the cooking time, then remove the bag for the last 30-60 minutes to try and crisp up the skin a little.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Kevin, what is trussing?
Trussing is basically tying the ends of the drumsticks together so the dark meat is up against the breast. If they were not up against the breast they would cook way too quickly. Most birds nowadays have a plastic or metal doohickey that's already on the bird that you can do this with. Also, tuck the tips of the wings under the bird or they'll burn.

Most importantly. Be sure to take out all the bagged innards before cooking!

Be sure to check out that link that Jeff provided. Alton gets a little fancy with the brine but it's basically dissolved sugar, kosher salt and water in an ice bath.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
How much less on the salt?
I'm not going to bother with all the spices either, too much work to get boiled off in the fryer :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to bother with all the spices either, too much work to get boiled off in the fryer
That's the thing about brining, any flavor that is in the brine is sucked into the cells of the meat by osmosis and the salt content keeps it from leaving. If the spices are in the brine, they get into the meat, add flavor and the frying seals in any moisture/flavor by immediately sealing the bird when you immerse it in the oil.

KrisM

Second Unit
I had fried turkey once, and it was excellent. The only problem is with the gravy. With no drippings, there is no way to make decent gravy.
I have also done the brine method and it works great, too. I also cook the bird breast side down, and turn it over towards the end of cooking. The breasts don't get over-done and dry, and the dark meat is cooked to a safe temperature. I think I got the brine and upside down ideas from The Joy of Cooking. Great book. You can also brine(for a shorter time) chicken breasts, pork chops etc.

Regards
KrisM

CRyan

Screenwriter
That is the only reason I don't fry. The gravy man! For me, that is Thanksgiving.

C. Ryan

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
[quoet]With no drippings, there is no way to make decent gravy.[/quote]Buy some wings and necks and cook them in a pan to get your drippings. Or, do like I do (one deep fry bird and one oven/bbq bird). You'll want to use a small turkey for frying anyway (large birds don't cook very well).

Major deep fry cooking hints:
- When you put the turkey in the hot oil, the temp will drop slightly. Increase heat to bring the oil back up to temp. Once the oil is back to cooking temp you'll need to turn it back down to maintain the temp (and prevent the oil from burning). When the turkey is close to being done you'll notice that the temperature of the oil will start to rise. This means that most of the water has cooked out of the bird (i.e. it is done!). The bird will rapidly increase in temperature from this point (i.e. dry out and burn). You will want to pull it out when you see the oil temp increasing (measure the meat temp... it should be close to 160&deg). Let the bird rest for at least 15 minutes (it will continue to cook and then it will draw the moisture back into the meat). If you carve too soon then you'll loose a lot of the juices.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I still haven't had a deep fried turkey.
I heard about it years ago on the Bob & Tom show.
The reason for me posting is today on a TV show they were raving about the electric version of the deep fryer, about how safe it was compared to its alternative/etc/etc.
So I was browsing around & most places were charging $149 & up for the cooker. I did find it here for $119.99.
Has anyone used an electric? It'd be something I could use here in an apartment.
I'm sure most people that use the big fryers have seen the consequences of a grease fire, so be safe people :D
(edit. I found it for $89.99 at Bass Pro, removed the original link. Link )
I am such an hardcore internet bargain shopper :laugh:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I would never do a deep-fried turkey indoors. I know it's not really feasible for those of you in colder climes but try to cook it outdoors if you can. Also, be sure you have a fire extinguisher handy in case things get out of control.

I like deep fried turkey but nothing beats the smell of turkey roasting in the oven on Thanksgiving day. It wouldn't feel the same without it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the oil splatters too much to do it indoors. I don't know if an electric could supply enough heat, rapidly enough to keep the oil from dipping below 350 degrees when the bird is dropped in initially...
I also think it would be like flying a hot air baloon trying to keep the temp stable, changes would take a long time to take effect where a gas burner is instant heat and instant cool. Just my thoughts, having never used an electric...

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Well. Of course you can't use a propane cooker grill indoors, but they say the electric grill is perfectly safe for indoor cooking.
I've been reading about the electric cooker since I've posted & they say it can do up to a 14 lb bird.
Being a fisherman I could definitely use it for frying fish.
I think I may ask for it for Christmas..... I LOVE turkey & don't eat enough of it. :D
I was going to ask how much it was compared to a propane cooker & at $89 it's not much more.
And a helpful reminder to you propane users......

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
No, I think the oil splatters too much to do indoors. Ever deep fry french fries at home and seen the mess on the coutnertop? imagine that covering your whole kitchen.

and gas fryers are $35 at super walmart.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
target has fryer kits and oil on sale for around 30, good deal.
The bird is in the brine :D
thanks for the tips, I'm going to brine it for 6 hours tonight and then cover it and refrigerate it until I'm ready to fry tomorrow mainly because I'm using my fry bucket to brine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks