What's new

anybody going to deep fry a turkey this thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
My Dad deep fried out turkey two Thanksgivings ago. Best - Turkey - Ever. I'm going again this year but he said he's trying something different. I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't know how it can be tastier than when he did the deep-fry.

Pieter

KyleS

Screenwriter
Last thanksgiving was the first time we deep fried a turkey and it was the best turkey we have had hands down. It is actually healthier then a normal turkey if the Oil is hot enough since it seals the outside of the turkey when cooking it. Another great part is that it cooks in a fraction of the time normal oven cooking takes.

KyleS

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And of those who are going to deep-fat fry a turkey, how many are going to have “Turducken”?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't care for those directions, the oil cools rapidly once the bird is dropped in, so I prefer to heat to 400F then once the bird is in back off the heat a little and let the oil cool to 350 and maintain.
BTW walmart has a pretty decent turkey fryer for 44 bucks right now :D

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have done this 2 years in a row now and there is, indeed, no going back!!!!

I use just veggie oil mixed with canola..and I also move the temp upwards before dipping the bird in. I also short the oil...to prevent over flow and fire..did that once..the flames were spectacular!!!! And add oil as need be.

As some of you know...if it doesn't run or bite me first...I deep fry it!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another vote for deep fried turkey. i had it last year and hopefully will have it again this round. it was *not* at all greasy.

it was juicy, yummy and i ate it all gone!

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
With all this talk I am half-tempted to deep fry one this weekend just to prepare myself for the Thanksgiving feast! :D

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Does everyone toss their oil out and get new each year. My wife convinced me to fry one last year and it was good but she is saying that we can re-use the old oil this year, something I am very hesitant to do. Any guidance?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Lee-

Has the oil been sitting around for a whole year? Where did you store it? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but perhaps someone with a bit more experience can give a better answer...

Scooter, the frying King, perhaps?

KyleS

Screenwriter
One thing that we did to make sure we had the right amount of OIL was pre-dip the turkey in the cooker with just water to set the level. We then took the turkey out and put the same amount of oil in.... What a mistake. When we dipped the turkey in the oil it sealed the outside of the bird almost instantly while the water flowed inside so we had too much oil and it ran over the sides starting a fire as Scooter described. Very cool but a pain in the ass to clean up and put out. :b Just be careful you dont put too much oil in the cooker. Man I have 3 weeks to go and you guys are killing me talking about Turkey day like this. Mmmmm my mouth is already watering thinking about it.

KyleS

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I bought a commercial oil screener/strainer set up..the paper cones and holder and that lengthens the life of oil. As for time...I suppose you can keep it around for quite a while...but I would suggest strain it first before setting it aside.

With poultry use is limited to three times. With other stuff..I use it over and over...straining inbetween of course. I also just leave it in the pot...and outside. COMPLETELY covered...but outside.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I strained it before I put it back in the container it came in and it has been stored on a shelf in my garage so I guess I'm tempting way less fate than you Scooter.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I KNOW this is a tad quick...but Fox and Friends on FOX News is doing a segment on how to deep fry a turkey this morning, 11/25...just a REALLY quick heads up!

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
One of my co-workers is a big hunter and he goes out and gets his own wild turkey for Thanksgiving. I had him get one for me last year, and man, I will never go back to store-bought. The meat had a much better taste, and that was one meaty bird. As long as you're ok with doing the clean and prep yourself, there's just no better way to go.

Deep-frying is really good. Were it not for the fact that family friends own a barbeque restaurant, I'd deep fry ours. But I've just gotten hooked on the taste of a turkey slow-cooked for 24 hours in a hickory pit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks