What's new

Anybody ever meet someone special on the internet? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this thread has inspired me to go over and register at match.com. There look like some interesting prospects, though everyone has unrealistic expectations. :frowning: Oh well, what's $50. I'm not meeting anyone as it is.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Whew, just read the whole thread.
Mike, it sounds like your story is about to turn into a REAL soap opera! Be sure to keep those updates coming!
I've had a couple of experiences meeting women online. The first was in late 1992, on USENET. alt.personals.something-or-other, I was in Florida and started emailing a girl in Indiana. It turned into daily all-night phone conversations--y'all know how those go. :) Anyway, she came down after a few months and turned out to be the stereotypical shallow sorority girl. It was pretty shocking after all those long conversations! I attempted to maintain a friendship, but we were just too completely different. I think that maybe she was unable to translate the emotional honesty you can sometimes have with a stranger online to her actual personality. Or something.
The more recent, and much happier, experience began in Feb. of 2001. Living in NJ at the time, I went to a chat room for Chinese people, in an attempt to talk to people in Hong Kong (I had recently been there for a month for work, and missed it). I ended up talking to a Chinese girl in Florida. Over the course of a week, I talked to various people in the chat room, mostly in HK. I later found out that they were ALL this same girl! She had never talked to anyone online before, and was really nervous about even talking to someone. (OK, it's slightly creepy, but she was a real newbie--in retrospect, it's kinda cute!)
As time went on, we started IMing every night, and often during the day too. Hours a day, and this went on for quite a while. Then in July, she called to tell me that a friend had to go to NYC to visit someone, and she was going to tag along. This was with about 4 days of notice! (At the time, I was in Baltimore for the World Boardgaming Championships. . .fortunately, she was arriving a few days after I got home.) That way, she wouldn't be alone, and there wouldn't be much pressure. (It's tough to have a situation like that with a long-distance meeting.)
So on the day in question, she came to meet me at my office with her friend and her friend's business associate. She'd emailed me a photo--it was cute, but didn't show her body. She'd told me that she was 5'3" and weighed about 130 lbs. Sounded pretty normal. So she gets out of the car--130 lbs. was about right, but she was more like 5'6"! To say she hadn't photographed well would also be appropriate--REALLY cute! Wow! I was actually embarassed, I thought that the photo I'd emailed her was a pretty good likeness of me. :D
Anyway, we REALLY hit it off. Had a great time. After she went home, we continued IM'ing several times a day, and talking on the phone a lot too. Over the next year, we visited each other about 4 or 5 more times, and every time we were both nervous about whether we would continue to get along so well, or if it was just some fluke. Every time was great!
So now. . .check my address over on the left. ;) We've been living together for 6 weeks, and things continue to go really well. I realize that these are still the early stages, but so far--jackpot!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've also made LOTS of friends online--meeting the HTF gang at national and local meets and Scooterpaloozas, as well as meeting lots of fellow gamers over at www.consimworld.com. A lot (in fact, MOST) of the people who are my in-person friends started out as online acquaintances.
I also know a lot of people in NYC who are on Match.com. As the Internet becomes more mainstream, it's really become a mainstream way to meet people.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Good for you Aaron! Hope it continues to work out!
My REAL soap opera is getting better every minute. I'll give a bit more detail. One of the girls I have a date with Sat., I met her at my buddies wedding (I was the best man, and drank A LOT so I wouldn't be nervous for my speech, which went well thank you :D ). She sang at the chruch for the wedding (her voice is what attracted me at first). Well, she drank a bit too, and at the reception we slipped off to a quiet spot under a tree... just an innocent kiss or two :) Anyway, shortly after that she recieved some bad news about a relative (who is fine now) and left. I had 2 choices at the end of the night. Either go in the van with all the single poeple that was going to the bar, or jump in the limo with the couples to go back to my friends house to crash. I thought, eh, this was a great night, I think I'll just go crash at my friends house.
Turns out there was a single female in the limo too, and she purposely sat near me. Oh oh.... "More wine please!" She was on me like white on rice :eek: We get back to my friends house and she decided she'd share my aero bed with me :) Next morning she gave me her number. I called later the week, because she is a friend of a friend and I was being polite, but didn't lead her on to anything. Saw her AGAIN next weekend when I stayed at my friends place and again we hook up... her being the agressive one.
Talked one more time and haven't heard from her. Thought maybe she got the hint. Nope, called last night, left a message. She WILL be at the party as well! That's now 3 going to the party :eek: I'll be doing my best Greg Brady impression that night!
Girl #1 knows about girl#2, #2 knows about #1, and #3 knows about #1, but not #2... keeping track? Good, maybe you can help me :D
Mike D.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I hear ya. I felt the same way. Had a 10 year marriage just end out of the blue with the "I don't love you like a husband" line. Shocked me to say the least and I thought at 30 I could never meet someone again.
God was I wrong! Took a while but I dated on and off and I have been with the same woman for about 1.5 years and on Saturday I am going to pop the question! :D

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Gary - wow! Keep us updated. Assuming you have something special planned?
And Mike - perhaps you ought to consider wearing a stainless steel cup, as you might have a few women trying to emasculate you on Saturday night! :laugh:

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I met another "Internet" date last night. She was everything she claimed to be, plus some. In an e-mail exchange, she said she wanted to try the Internet because guys are too intimidated to approach her. I found out why last night - UNBELIEVABLY ATTRACTIVE!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

We got along great, and she said she want's to do it again...so we'll see.
So for those of you keeping score - That's 2 for 2 "Internet" meetings that were very cute and were as they claimed to be on line.
:emoji_thumbsup:

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
I also had my first date with the woman I met online. She was exactly as she described, and, as Michael said above, much more. We had a wonderful time and we're both very interested to see each other again. All in all this has been a very good experience so far. I'm amazed at how much we have in common, actually. Turns out we both went to the same college at the same time, both our parent's recently moved not too far from each other in Idaho. (We're in Washington St.)We both share many interests, and we both have a very similar sense of humor. I don't think I've ever met anybody so like myself. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that she prefers Alaskan Amber over Budweiser any day. :D
Things look very promising with this one. I hope it works out.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear more success stories! :emoji_thumbsup:
My update:
Friday night I saw girl #3 at a party. We hung out and flirted most of the night. Turns out Girl #1 forwarded my emails to girl #3 and wanted her opinion of me!! Girl #1 know's girl #3 liked me, but doesn't know the feeling is mutual.
Sat. night I take #1 out. We had a nice dinner than went to see The Ring. I had a nice time, and she is a nice person, but the chemistry wasn't there. I have a date with #3 this Friday. But #3 is in a dilemma as she must somehow tell #1 about us... should be interesting! And then there's the Halloween party were #1, 2 & 3 will be at Sat.
Enter girl #4 :) My friend's wife's friend. I dated her a few years ago. Seeing her recently, she looked really good. I guess she thought the same. Says she wants me to call her. With #1 somewhat out of the picture, I guess I have room :)
Mike D.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

As long as you still have fingers to count them on, there's always room for more....lol!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Drought? Thats nothing, I'm in the middle of a famine!

I'll be sure to update with the simple phrase "I am celibate no more".

Users who are viewing this thread