What's new

Anybody ever meet someone special on the internet? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I met my current Girlfriend (of 6 years) online- although more indirectly. It wasn't web personals or anything- rather I emailed her because she lived in Olympia Washington (AOL profile told me so).
I had a friend going out to Oly, WA for college (and he didn't have internet access), so I was kind of scoping the scene a little on his behalf. She had all the right bands listed in her profile, and went to the same school- so I dropped her a line to pick her brain on the Oly, WA lifestyle. We ended up hitting it off and traded emails as pen pals for 5-6 months, started calling each other. I flew to Washington for the first time about 8 months after out first email, and basically spent the next few months there on and off.
Within 1 year of our first email she moved to Ohio and we had a place together.
We will no doubt be married eventually and are planning to move back to the Pacific NW next Fall.
-Vince

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I like hearing these success stories... it is interesting to see people have successfully found their true love from the internet.

Mike D.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Just go in expecting the worst,
Definitely a key. I met my gf of 7 months on the weeb.

BUT .. I also met a couple of doozies, and on the whole, don't think too highly of it, since most of my friends seem to have had.... interesting .. experiences.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Met and Married! :D
I was stationed on Okinawa and not really looking for anybody. My friend who was chatting with her friend kind of got us talking. We talked on the internet and on the phone for almost 1 year before I was transferred back to the states. Lots of picture swapping of course and $400.00 phone bills (glad those are over). I moved in with her after getting out of the service and three years later we got married.
Well...in a nutshell we really got to know one another before meeting. Not only are we married but we are best friends. It's been wonderful and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Life is kinda funny sometimes. Ya know? :D

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I met my wife online. I had moved to NJ from Massachusetts (why do I abbreviate New Jersey and write out Massachusetts in full? I have no idea!) in 1994. I dated a lot at first, but then really got sick of that scene.
In '97 I put a profile on some free on-line dating service (can't remember what the name of it was). A few weeks later, I got an email from my future wife with a link to her website. There were plenty of pictures of her and she described herself and her interests in great detail. I was immediately attracted - she was good looking and smart enough to have her own site in 1997! I emailed back and we talked on the phone a few days later. The phone conversations went on for a few weeks and we finally decided to meet. It was basically love at first site and we've been together ever since! Just got married in February of this year!
Link Removed
I think that the important thing was that neither of us posted our profiles looking for love. It was a good way to meet people for dating purposes. But, in our case, it just happened to work out!
Good luck!

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Update!
Last night we chatted online again. So early on I asked her what her intentions were; if she just wanted a IM/email buddy or more. So she said she hates computers, and wouldn't be chatting for hours if she wasn't interested in meeting me. Soon after that, she said "just call me", and the next line her phone number popped up. Sh*t! The phone number so soon?! LOL... I don't know what the correct time line for getting the digits is in internet dating.
So I called her. Her voice was music to my ears. We talked till 3 friggin AM... yeah, I'm tired and got to work an hour late. So on the phone, she's everything I expected. And here's a kicker. My good friend's brother-in-law is good friends with her brother! Small world!! But I can't say anything to my friend yet, as she doesn't want people knowing she met somebody on the internet. I'm kinda the same way. I guess we are both a little embarrased to tell our friends and family, as internet dating isn't mainstream. So we are basically going to tell people we met at a bar. :)
Whenever conversion flows like it did last night, I end dating that person. We just had so much to say, neither of us "dominated" the conversation, although she talks a lot faster than she types! :)
So far so good. I'll update this thread when the eventual meeting is planned, and after it takes place. Just in case some of you might be interested. Plus I need to share a bit of my joy with someone (although I told my best friend, but it ends there).
Thanks for all the advice, and I'm still approaching this with caution. It's nice to see people had success in this area!
Mike D.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
My brother met his wife online. They have been married almost 2 years now. I think an important aspect is to only go to chat rooms/meeting places where you expect to find compatable people, and which are somewhat reputable (ala have some sort of registration). Places that are totally anonymous would probably up your chances of being fooled or scammed.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Whenever conversion flows like it did last night, I end dating that person. We just had so much to say, neither of us "dominated" the conversation, although she talks a lot faster than she types!
Good luck to you, Mike, but a cautionary note. No matter how much rapport you have or think you have online or over the phone, there is NO guarantee you will have it in person. An actual meeting is the only thing that means anything.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I hear you RobertR. I'm just going to enjoy the friendship and attraction that develops between us now. IF the chemistry happens when we see each other for the first time, great. If not, at least I made a new friend.

Don_Houle

Nice place to go on your honeymoon! I was there last year with my ex & some friends... I rented a convertible Stang and drove there from Vegas. What a drive compared to NJ. The scenery was unreal!

Mike D.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Iunno it seems VERY freaky to meet ANYBODY in person online.
However, i usually meet them first, then either find/get/ask their ICQ/MSN/Email, and then i get to know them online. Haven't been able to get farther than that yet thouhg :frowning:

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Another 4.5 hour marathon conversation last night. We are meeting each other Sunday! :D
Tune in Monday for an update of the "Mike meets some random internet chick show".
Mike D.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Lets just hope you aren't doing the Mike Myer's impression, "Thats not a woman, thats a man baby!"
;)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Damn, this is like a soap opera. Keep the updates coming!
I'm back from our meeting tonight! I'd love to pour out all the details, but what fun would a soap be without a cliff hanger?
I'll give this much away. The plans she had tonight were another date, and broke them to meet me :)
So tune in Monday to find out what happened!!
Mike D.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I met my last gf on ICQ. She found me from a search and we talked and found out we had common friends. We met a week later and started dating soon after. That last 6 months, and I can't say it was a good relationship, but it wasn't a waste, I had some really good times.

I met the niece of my boss at his wedding 2 years ago, and we kept in touch thorugh e-mail, and ICQ/MSN, and we fell in love about a year ago. I just got back from a 2 week trip visiting her in Saskatoon, and it was the best time of my life. Awsome city, and an even better girl. Hopefully we'll move to be closer someday.

Online dating is a hit and miss, and sometimes just dumb luck.

Cam S

Screenwriter
haha, just finished reading every post, and man Mike, sounds like ya got a good thing going!!!
All the best to you and your new friend, hopefully things will work out for the both of you!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks