What's new

Anybody else had this problem with xbox? (1 Viewer)

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my xbox since launch and did not buy the extended warrenty. My xbox gets a LOT of use, but I've never had a problem with it.

The other day I turned it on and it would not recognize a single disc. It kept giving me a dirty disc error, even though I tried a brand new game and a few DVD's in perfect condition. It was also emitting a loud humming noise. I unplugged it from the wall and let it sit for the night.

I tried it again today and was able to play Fifa, although it is still humming a bit. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Anybody else had this issue or heard of it happening to anyone else?

Thanks!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My cd drive had a really high pitched whine from day 1. Ran fine for over half/year. Had to have the Xbox replaced about 3 weeks ago due to the fact that it started not recognizing damn near everything I threw at it.

I think this is some sort of problem with earlier xbox's.

If you don't have a warranty, you're unfortunately screwed. Even if you send it back to Microshaft, they're gonna whack you for $100 just to look at it.

You'll be buying a new one...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I have a feeling this is a problem with earlier Xboxes, since a friend of mine had the exact same problem and he was there on launch day practically. It's too bad... there needs to be some sort of quality control, or perhaps rubber seals around the disc tray when it closes to keep out errant dust.
As you probably know, the PS2 'disc read error' glitch is infamous... so now the Xbox? Next thing I know, my Gamecube will stop recognizing games... :rolleyes:It's frustrating.
Good luck though.
Joseph

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Check this thread with some links to posts at the Morrowind forum about dirty disc errors. It may be more a problem due to memory cache than disc reading.
-Dave

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think its a problem with the xbox hardware. Sometimes my xbox works, sometimes it doesn't.

Luckily my roomate for the next year has a brand new xbox (with warrenty) so I won't be needing one anyways. Maybe by the time I need a new one next year they will be even cheaper!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My brother bought his XBox at launch and had the exact same problem. He had to pay MS $100 to get it fixed. It doesn't always pay to be the first one with the new toy! :D

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I own all three next-gen systems: PS2, XBOX and GC.

I haven't experienced a single problem with any of them yet.

I bought the PS2 in March of 2001, XBOX November 2001 and GC December 2001.

I'm not sure how reliable this so-called infamous PS2 disc-read-error is. I know two other folks who also own the PS2 and never experienced these "infamous" DRE's either.

The internet is full of loons in certain places who just like to post BS...I think.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Same for me. I don't think these errors are as common as one may thing, especially since those whose systems are working aren't posting "it still works!" every day.

The only person I know who has experienced one of these errors, the PS2 disc-read error, happened just last week. Luckily, Sony isn't charging to fix this now, so he just has to be without his PS2 for a week.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine had a problem with his PS2, but it was because his little baby cousin started smacking it while we were playing a game. Sony is fixing it and shipping it back for free.

I have some problems with my PS2 in that it will take a while to read DVD games when I start it up, but after that it's fine.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Sony has replaced my ps2 four times, becuase of the disc read error. Luckily I never had to pay for it and the last one has been doing good since feb. Back when I did have the problem, It would last only a couple of weeks after the replacement.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i have a ps2 and i think sonys customer support is awesome. My ps2 scratched a game. I got mine the day it came out. I called sony they said they would fix my ps2 for free and give me a new warranty, and they said they would pay for a new game. Im thinking about an xbox but ill wait until it goes down some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks