Anybody else get back/neck muscle cramps?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kyle Richardson, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I am constantly getting muscle cramps in my neck and back. The most common place seems to be between my spine and the scapula and when it knots up it hurts from my neck to 3/4 the way down my back. It makes it so I cant move my neck and sometimes is bad enough that it hurts to breathe deeply.

I get massages every 2 weeks which has helped cut down on the frequency of them enormously but they still come back on occasion. I cut carbonated beverages down tremendously and now drink a lot of water in place of them but even that hasn't eliminated them.

I guess my question is if anybody else gets them and what have you done that has helped?

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

You should go see a doctor.Let them take a MRI and Xray and see what going on in there.

About 2 years ago I pulled a muscle in my trap,right near my spine.I went to a Therapy Center, which involved a chiropractor,physical therapist,massueses,ultrasound,etc all combined in one place.

I went for physical therapy and combined with weight training I rarely have any trouble with it now.

It can bother me occassionally from sitting or laying in awkward postions for a period of time, but not the pain I used to have.

You may also want to consider weight training. I completly cured a lower back pain I had for years with weight lifting.

3. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Also maybe try Yoga or Pilates. My friend uses it to help with her back. It's not only for women.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I had a similar problem that was caused by looking down over a long period of time (monitor was too low). I've also had this issue when I've been routing wood for a few hours. Raising the height (so my neck wasn't constantly bent) fixed the issue. Stretch your neck and other affected areas every 30 minutes or so (i.e. take a break from the repetitive activity). If this doesn't help then see a doctor.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, it would help to know what you do, and/or what you did just before they came on, or do they just sort of start up for no reason at all? (that's doctor time).

Glenn

6. Kyle Richardson

Well, my computer work station is set up quite well as far as ergonomics are concerned but I do stare at a computer monitor for most of the day. They usually just come on by themselves without any known prompting. Yesterday morning I woke up with it just a little bit sore but by mid morning I couldnt move my neck. It turns out that trying to sleep last night was a lesson in futility until I took a Lortab I had left over from a minor surgery I had earlier this year.

Jon may be right, a little weight training may not be a bad idea to try to sculpt the muscles back there, but not before a doctor's visit to see if he thinks it's a good idea.

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Kyle, a MRI or Xray will show exaclty what ur dealing with.
    The Therapy Center I mentioned had those things on site. And The XRay showed my posture(which showed I was leaning my head foward) and the MRI showed a swollen muscle.

That day they started the therapy.

First a adjustment from the chiropractor, Then a massage in the area, followed by heat therapy and then some exercises done right there to end it. I did this 3 days a week for about 3 months.

After the 3 months, I took another 2 off from any weight lifting at all. Then I went back to the gym and havent had any problems yet.

I mention the weight training as a long term solution not as a fix for the pain ur feeling now. If u do it without getting the problem fixed FIRST u can do more damage than good.So ur on the right track - see a Doc first.

I was in a car accident as a teenager and had a bad lower back for years. In my early 20s I had a job that required alot of bending down and lifting and combined with weight training (I was training to wrestle) I cured the lower back. I no longer get any lower back pain.I think this would be a great idea but AFTER you heal the muscle,you strengthen it.

Good luck!

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Bad chair? I can see swapping out chairs with another person just so you don't get too comfy.

I sit all day too, pretty much. Maybe you could stand up and do some squats or something for a minute every half hour, or something.

Glenn

9. Paul M.Kuziel

Headaches? Are they in the back of the head? I was getting neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain and these gruesome headaches in the back of my head. What it turned out to be was a brain tumor! I had it removed about a year and a half ago. I originally thought it was fatigue from the computer chair and screen at work. GO TO THE DOCTOR. I found out that the neck and back pain was caused by a drop in my testosterone level, growth hormone and general chemical imbalances which were caused by the tumor. Not to panic you but just don't fluff it off,it could be nothing more than just a pulled muscle or a bad chair etc. Go get checked out. Nothing worth more than your health.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Glad ur ok Paul.

11. Kyle Richardson

Paul, yes, its good to hear you are doing okay.

This is most definitely muscle spasms which is probably why I have avoided going to the doctor because I figured it wasnt anything serious. Its time I probably should, especially considering my out of pocket is met until the end of this year so it wont cost me anything.