Any Yamaha RX-V1700 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Fernalfer, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Agent

Hey is there anyone that owns the 1700 that can help me?

I just got my receiver in and i have no clue how to set it up. I was playing a DVD from my DVD player via HDMI to the receiver. But it doesn't seem to be playing into the surrounds that loudly. When i hit the surround decode button the rears sound alot better. But i thought that was for two channel audio.

While playing it was on Pro-Logic on the Movie DSP setting. Is that right.

Bottomline is i'm just trying to figure out the standard setting to get Dolby Digital working correctly on all 5 speakers. Still awaiting my Sub in the Mail.

Either help here or by PM will be appreciated.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Brian

Congratulations on your purchase of the Yamaha 1700..an excellent choice...that would be my second choice...I have had my own troubles setting up new digital receivers and have even had to call the manufacturers tech support line...and now I have a backpanel to deal with that is about 8 inches high and about 18 inches wide and the entire unit weighs 64 pounds.

Let us know how you make out.

3. Frank A

Frank A Stunt Coordinator

I do not have the 1700 (I have an older rxv-630 yamaha). I am confused a little by your post. You said, "While playing it was on Pro-Logic on the movie DSP setting. Is that right?" Does this mean you had it on Pro-Logic thinking that it is DD 5.1? Pro Logic is two channel, so you would not get the good surround sound as you would with 5.1 surround.

When in pro-logic or stereo mode, my receiver shows only the two front left and right main speakers lit up on the front panel of the receiver. If it is in 5.1 (DD or DTS) mode, then all 5 plus the subwoofer emblems show up on the front of the receiver. Does yours work this way?

If set up properly, I would think that your receiver would "automatically" recognize and decode the 5.1 vs 2 channel set up. Also, on my Yamaha's remote control, I can press the "DVD" button (which puts it in the dvd mode to watch), multiple times. Doing this changes the format from digital to analog, so I have to be careful to only press it once. Just a thought.

Don't know if this helps, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and help.

Frank

4. wolffcub

wolffcub Agent

I might be able to help a bit because I have the Yamaha 1600. First off if you don’t have a sound meter setup the system using the supplied YPAO thingy. (now that’s getting technical lol) Put in your movie and hit play then press #5 on the remote. Hitting #5 will cycle you between STANDARD Dolby Digital and ENHANCED. Enhanced is a DSP setting and is explained in the manual. I like to only use the standard DD setting. Only a few times have I used the MOVIE DSP setting using the #4 button. Make sure when your playing with the sound settings you are actually watching the movie and not in the DVD intro menu. I have seen many people trying to make audio setting changes while listening to the DVD into audio and scratching their head wonder why it sounds like crap. DVD menus are not in 5.1. (please cor. Does your amp display the Dolby Digital light and the PL light under it? Or only the PL light? And what are you getting on the right?

Just trying to help...

[​IMG]

5. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Agent

for some reason my DVD player which is hooked to my receiver via HDMI is coming across as PCM not Dolby Digital. And no where on my DVD player is there an output option for what i want sent to the receiver.

6. wolffcub

wolffcub Agent

I got the new Toshiba H2 player a week ago and have not yet watched a standard DVD on it. I will try it out when I get home and see what I get for audio when using the player with the HDMI cable.