What's new

Any Xena Season One reviews yet ? (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I wonder if these longer versions will be on the Hercules boxset ?
And it's really stupid of Universal not to advertise the fact that the versions on the 'Trilogy' DVD are longer - that would be one of the main reasons to buy it.
As I said - I can't remember the original versions - but the episodes on the DVD looked a lot bloodier than your average Hercules episode.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
However Sorbo gives what I call a "Gil Gerard" performance - he's fully aware of how campy and bad the show sometimes strives to be, and overplays/underplays to match. I couldn't think of a better actor for the part.
Well said Philip! That's just a perfect way of describing Sorbo! :D I retract any prior shots I may have taken. (Although Kull was still a camp-fest!) ;)

Will... I didn't know about Kevin Smith aka Ares passing away! Sad to hear that.. he was my favorite!!! :frowning:

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I must agree. Having just finished up watching the Xena set Sunday night, I must say, that even if I think to myself, "Gee, why would I watch this show?" or "Do I really like this show?" I can't help but feel entertained and somewhat drawn into the show while watching it.

I think part of it is that the costumes they use are pretty cool. On both the warlord gangs and of course Xena. But another thing is the some-what "Young Indy" references to historical/mythological personas in the Ancient Greek and Arabian world.

IIRC, didn't the later seasons take Xena to areas such as Mongolia, or am I crazy?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
But another thing is the some-what "Young Indy" references to historical/mythological personas in the Ancient Greek and Arabian world.
But you have to remember that while they use some historical/mythological personas they are in absolutely no way historically correct.
As an example - according to Xena Troy fell about four years before Caesar was killed.
And the weapons, costumes and castles (!) are so anachronistic it almost hurts.
I love the show - but please don't mistake anything on the show as a history lesson.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I just assumed it because you're an American ... :D

Before anyone goes :angry: - that's a joke.

I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find an aircraft carrier parked on my front lawn.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Sven, I'm offended anyway. ;)

Dave, in later seasons, Xena went all over. She went to Rome, Egypt, Mongolia, Russia, India, China and Japan. Except for Season 6, it mostly stayed in Greece, though.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
I just assumed it because you're an American ...

Before anyone goes - that's a joke.

I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find an aircraft carrier parked on my front lawn.
Well considering that I have a degree in History, I think I'm safe on that regard.

And yes, figured it was a joke.

However, there's nothing wrong with having an US Aircraft Carrier parked in your backyard, besides it has been always advantageous for countries to lose wars to the US than to win them. Because we tend to leave these "defeated" countries in better shape than we found them. Your country is one such place. :p)

But who knows, the world is indeed changing. Where the best rapper in America is white (Eminem), and where Poland rather than Germany wants to go to war. ;)

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, in later seasons, Xena went all over. She went to Rome, Egypt, Mongolia, Russia, India, China and Japan. Except for Season 6, it mostly stayed in Greece, though.
Awesome! I thought so. Definately look forward to later seasons.

How about Herc? Did he venture to other places?

Alex_zhang

Auditioning
But who knows, the world is indeed changing. Where the best rapper in America is white (Eminem), and where Poland rather than Germany wants to go to war.
You know something is helter skelter with the world when the best rapper is white, the best golfer is black, the French are calling the American arrogant, and the Germans dont want to go to war!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
How about Herc? Did he venture to other places?
He mostly stayed in Greece - though he gets to spend some time in a mirror universe like they have on Deep Space Nine - where Hercules is the main villain and Ares is the god of love. :D
He does spend a few episodes in Ireland in one of the later seasons if I remember correctly.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Hercules pretty much stays put until season 5. Then he goes to Ireland, Norway (where Xena also went, btw) and Sumeria.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
the French are calling the Americans arrogant,
I would say more like 'the French calling the Americans Imperialists'.

Let's see, the Louisiana Territory, French Morocco, French-Indo-China, French East Africa, and not to mention Napoleons' attempt to conquer the world. I don't think the French have any room to talk about that.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well over in the UK based DVDForums (here - you must be a member to view) the general opinion is that the R2 Season One discs are better than the R1 Season One discs.

Personally, having checked both versions I think R1 has the slight edge (perhaps due to NTSC > PAL conversion on the R2 set). However, I feel this confirms my original statement about the R2 Season One quality.

However, once the quality of film stock improves, I fully expect the R1 discs to be much better quality than their R2 counterparts as the R2 counterparts suffer from an annoying motions blur on most scenes (again, perhaps down to poor NTSC > PAL conversion).

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Here are the specs of the Hercules boxset from the Anchor Bay homepage :

This 9 Disc Set contains 8 DVDs with All Five Action- Packed Hercules Movies And All 13 Season One Episodes, as well as a special CD-ROM with added bonus material.

Features

• Full-Frame Presentation
• Audio & Video Commentary from Kevin Sorbo & Michael Hurst • Photo Gallery
• Direct Access Scenes

• Hercules Chronicles
• Series Trivia
• Director and Actor Bios
• Hercules Screen Saver
----------------------
I'm surprised that it's an 8-DVD-Set - five 90 minute TV movies and 13 45 minute episodes should fit on 6 DVDs without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks