Any word on US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Will_B, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Any word on a US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu? (Is Scarlett Johansson not cute enough? Michael Bay not commercial enough?)

It has been out in the UK on BluRay since 2008, albeit on a 25GB disc instead of 50GB.

I'm tempted to import the UK edition, unless there's a higher quality US release coming.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    No US release, I do have the UK edition which is fantastic.

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    [please delete, I made a sourcing error re the disc I was referring to, mine is actually the UK one, doh]

4. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Agreed...the PQ is pretty good, although given the disc is a few years old it doesnt compare to modern titles and other Bay films like Transformers 1 and 2..still, it looks much better than the SD counterpart. Audio is only a DD 5.1 option, but it sounds great, especially during the shootout / freeway chase.

5. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    The only thing redeeming about this movie is the casting of the guy who played Pete on Benson, here in a bit role. I'd rather have the 1980 Michael Caine film on DVD but only in a definitive edition

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I thought the casting all around makes this film. Scarlett as a naive innocent, Ewan as a harmless guy, Buchemi with a conscience, even the guy from True Blood and Star Trek Voyager was nice... the only failure of the film IMO was the showdown, which was rather silly. As a big budget remake of that b-movie, and with shades of Logan's Run, it was perfect matinee style science fiction for me. Same level as, say, Total Recall, or the Sixth Day, or THX1138, or other not-quite-trying-to-be-a-blockbuster scifi films.