Any word on the Korean "monster" movie "THE HOST" getting a wider release?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by EricSchulz, Mar 16, 2007.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I have read REALLY great things about this movie, kind of an updated twist on the Godzilla/Gojira tale. Entertainment Weekly gave it not only an "A-" review, but gave it the "EW Pick" designation; USA Today and The Digital Bits both gave it 3.5 stars. I seem to recall seeing that it's only in about 150 theaters nationwide (the closest to me being in Chicago, an hour+ away). With such good buzz, I was hoping to hear it go wider this weekend, but haven't seen anything about it yet. There's talk of an American remake coming (yawn....), and I would guess the subtitled movie may seem to "art-house", but I really think this a movie worth seeing in a theater. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Give it a little time. I expect with all the buzz it is receiving it will go wider, but it might take a month or two. You can't just snap your fingers and produce prints and schedule it in theaters.

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Bought the 2-disc dvd yesterday. The CG monster is near state of the art, not quite Jurassic Park but far better than say, Roland Emmerich's Godzilla, and that cost a lot more than this film. The sound too was excellent. Some good jumpy moments whenever the monster appears. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Highly recommended.

4. BradWOO

BradWOO Stunt Coordinator

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Not in my area, according to the site. Guess it's a purchase...someday.

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

BradWOO:

Thanks! Milwaukee is getting it next weekend! And just in time for my birthday on Saturday!

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Funny! I hadn't heard of this movie at all until today, when I saw a TV trailer for it on Comedy Central. Then I come here and find this thread! I'll have to check this one out.

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Doubt it, its tagged for a Hollywood adaptation.

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Picked up the R3 DVD back in December and really enjoyed it. Probably a bit too slow to do well with a mass audience here so I'm not surprised there's a remake scheduled.

10. Jason Roer

Jason Roer Supporting Actor

Hey All,

Saw this last week with my wife and a friend (I had missed it while it was playing at FantasticFest in Sept.).

I think there is a great movie in there. The creature was great as was the sound, like someone else mentioned already. What I loved most was the sense of humor and overall fun.

That being said, it was about a half hour too long. There were many shot, nearly every one actually, that could be trimmed by even a second or two - some needed just a handful of frames to be cut - and it would have flowed smoother. And then were were some entire scenes that, while good on their own, weren't needed to tell the story and would have been better used as cut scenes on the DVD.

Overall - I had a good time watching this movie, and I'm glad I did, but as with any move that has such great potential, I did feel disappointed at what could have been. The funny thing here is that to make this film great, there wouldn't have had to be anything changed - the script was great, the acting was great, the lighting, the creature/FX, - everything. There was simply too much of it.

Cheers,

Jason

11. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I saw this last month and while I enjoyed it and its twisted sense of humor and socio-political commentary, I would agree the pacing was a tad slow in places. I would still recommend it and probably buy it as well. All hell breaks loose in the first part--great movie magic!

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'm looking for this one also, read some of the reviews on-line and it has caught my interest.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I may try and catch it tomorrow, weather permitting (it's snowing at the moment). [​IMG]

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I just noticed this movie will be in Little Rock later this month.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I did get to see this today. Not a bad monster flick, though probably the first monster movie I've ever seen that's almost completely bloodless (quite a contrast after watching "Feast" just last night).

Not a lot of detail or explanation here, as with most Asian films. Themes are presented in big, broad strokes and the details barely acknowledged at all.

The monster effects were very well done, save for the final scene. The story was a hodge-podge that was all over the place touching on pollution, viruses and biological weapons, military incompetence, and the importance of having a good quality cell phone. [​IMG]

Grade: B